Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2020, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 399 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are wondering what would be a good option for Kindergarten for our kids.

1. Our thoughts- we would like our kids to get a head start in a private school with smaller class sizes for Kinder / 1st grade and then switch over to CCSD (Givens). How good is that strategy?

2. We live in West Summerlin and zoned to Givens Elementary for CCS - how good is that school?

3. We are considering Merryhill in Summerlin or Durango for Kinder/1st - how does it compare to Givens elementary? Are we better off sending them to Givens Elementary?

4. Any other good private school suggestions that are near to us? (we are not open to challenger type schools)

5. Cost wise - We cannot afford Meadows or Dawson at the sticker price, do their financial aid actually work for people making ~$150k a year? Can we negotiate fees?

4. Generally want some inputs on how to provide the best environment for kids at least during their early years. Do we just start them at Givens elementary or do this private first - then public approach?

Help appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2020, 11:19 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,020,342 times
My thoughts after putting my kids through K-12 and college:

1) Private schools are no better than public schools at any level.

3) Merryhill is far worse than public schools for students that go on in STEM.

5) There are better ways to spend your money.

6) The best environment for students is a home in which parents spend time every weekend teaching math, reading, and writing beyond what the school is teaching.

Old 05-20-2020, 11:41 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,096,352 times
Private school = ensured drug use.
Public school = probable drug use.

Old 05-20-2020, 12:12 PM

223 posts, read 155,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus007 View Post
Hello,

We are wondering what would be a good option for Kindergarten for our kids.

1. Our thoughts- we would like our kids to get a head start in a private school with smaller class sizes for Kinder / 1st grade and then switch over to CCSD (Givens). How good is that strategy?

2. We live in West Summerlin and zoned to Givens Elementary for CCS - how good is that school?

3. We are considering Merryhill in Summerlin or Durango for Kinder/1st - how does it compare to Givens elementary? Are we better off sending them to Givens Elementary?

4. Any other good private school suggestions that are near to us? (we are not open to challenger type schools)

5. Cost wise - We cannot afford Meadows or Dawson at the sticker price, do their financial aid actually work for people making ~$150k a year? Can we negotiate fees?

4. Generally want some inputs on how to provide the best environment for kids at least during their early years. Do we just start them at Givens elementary or do this private first - then public approach?

Help appreciated!
Hey There - your likely going to see a very pro public school response here. I’m in a similar situation and come from the northeast where public schools are much better than here and overall more people have an undergrad and masters.

As a family, we value education as a priority so the poster who mentioned it’s also our jobs as parents responsibly as well is spot on. We take the time and educate as much as possible.

There is no right or wrong answer here, but it’s about the level of comfort you have and think will be good for your kid.

We chose to go private for Kindergarten based on the class sizes for public schools, which is around 30-35 students.

We toured Meadows and did not care for the administration there so we went in a different direction. Can’t speak for Merryhill but my concern is that it is a corporate chain of schools that may not have education as their highest mission, as it’s a for profit school and the quality of teachers may not be all that better than public.

Investing in fostering your child’s curiosity of the world and desire to learn will be worthwhile. How you do it is up to you.

Old 05-20-2020, 05:20 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,288,959 times
Givens is a pretty strong school. Its demographics are highly favorable. I doubt any of the private schools will be better. There are a couple more that are competitive in Henderson and Summerlin but none that is a lot better. If I had a very bright kid I would think about putting up the money for Meadows but the only one of mine who would have made the grade was the stray we picked up at 17 who went on to take a A Phd.

Old 05-21-2020, 02:11 AM

927 posts, read 879,634 times
My vote is for Givens. I'm never an advocate for private/charter schools because they pay their teachers 20-30% lower than CCSD, meaning they never attract the most qualified candidates to teach their students.

You can research the individual teachers at Givens if you have concerns. The state publishes work and salary history for all teachers, so you can find out how much each teacher makes and how many years of experience they have teaching specific subjects. There are 5 kindergarten teachers at Givens. All of them have over a decade of experience teaching.

Districtwide survey data is very positive for Givens, meaning administration treats teachers well. This is important as you do not want unhappy teachers as that indicates problems with the administration at the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas