Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 09:31 PM

50 posts, read 23,171 times

Advertisements

I just want to be clear, that "income" I get at the end of the year by way of distributions, those are shares that go into my account and the share price gets lowered, almost like an even swap, so it is not like I get a check. That is immediately taxable, city, state and federal...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 10:11 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times
One of the top reason s I live in Thailand is medical costs and insurance. The Thai government bnow requires me to provide proof of insurance to be allowed to stay, each year. I pay 900 per year, with a 650 dollar deductible.

Op, did you look at STM plans? For about 200 per month, you get a much lower deductible..but more limitations on pre existing conditions..and I believe it is a max of six months per time. Much better for emergency hospital visits, but probably not cancer. Heart and cancer treatment in India is pennies on the dollar..I know someone, who paid 12, 500 for a heart valve at a reknown clinic and it was perfect..that was considered a resort like treatment facility, too. Apollo Clinic in Chennai. If you are laughing, you really shouldn't be..

Old 06-13-2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
One of the top reason s I live in Thailand is medical costs and insurance. The Thai government bnow requires me to provide proof of insurance to be allowed to stay, each year. I pay 900 per year, with a 650 dollar deductible.

Op, did you look at STM plans? For about 200 per month, you get a much lower deductible..but more limitations on pre existing conditions..and I believe it is a max of six months per time. Much better for emergency hospital visits, but probably not cancer. Heart and cancer treatment in India is pennies on the dollar..I know someone, who paid 12, 500 for a heart valve at a reknown clinic and it was perfect..that was considered a resort like treatment facility, too. Apollo Clinic in Chennai. If you are laughing, you really shouldn't be..
Short term wouldn't help if i wasn't planning on going back to work.

Old 06-13-2020, 10:37 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrny View Post
Short term wouldn't help if i wasn't planning on going back to work.
Nope, you string together six month policies..but that makes it difficult to carry over recent medical conditions. It is a much better way to guard against accidents, though, and the limits are high..like 500k to 2 million. Before the government requirement here, I strung together policies from HCC (Houston casualty company), which was aquired by Tokio Marine..that was about 120 per month, but excluded the US. Look at www.Insubuy.com... they are out of Plano, but likely licensed to sell in Nevada. Talk to an agent. Price is same with or without agent.

A family member did Medicaid for about six months..he was making "around 20k," but the land he bought twenty years ago and built a small house on five years ago is worth 400-700k..he started getting questionnaires about assets, and that made him uncomfortable. Also, if you are over 55, and get Medicaid treatments, they will have a lien on your home before you get home from the hospital.

Basically, the same chorus..if you are dirt poor, just walk into the ER like you own the place, for an ingrown toenail or a sore throat..but if you have been working your entire life to be sustainable, and not on the dole, things get complicated quickly.

Old 06-14-2020, 09:33 PM

I don't have any medical conditions yet...

Old 06-15-2020, 05:31 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
To the OP: you've been teaching for 20 years and have the means to retire - congratulations. Is there any reason you don't continue in your current district for the 10-15 years needed to retire with a full pension and insurance?

Old 06-15-2020, 08:24 AM

Honestly, the job is torture. There is no student respect, the discipline code has been thrown out, no more suspensions, the grading system is fraudulent, we must pass everybody, cell phones all over...Teachers are passing people who don't even show up. Our hands have been totally tied. It is hard to stomach seeing teachers pass students with 9% attendance. I don't do it, but most do. This is the expectation these days. Everyone gets a free ride in order to have fake stats. They don't let us suspend then they say there has never been a lower suspension rate. They make everyone pass and they say the graduation rate has never been higher. Students graduate high school unable to write a sentence. How could a student be absent all the time but get a chance in June to "Make up their missed work?" How is it that they "Did enough?" A teacher never gets called in by a principal for passing too many people, but they sure get called in for failing too many.
Dangerous neighborhoods...need me to go on?

And my commute, for my whole career, has been a 4-5 hour roundtrip, everyday.

Last edited by Jrny; 06-15-2020 at 08:51 AM..

Old 06-15-2020, 10:41 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,378,480 times
I hear you Jrny. Retired teacher here. I held out until I was 58, took the lower pension and moved on. It sounds like you teach high school. Middle school and high school teachers should get hazardous duty pay. I had a credential for high school, but chose to teach in elementary. Maybe you could consider moving grade levels within your current district. Try for second or fourth grade. The kids are nice at those years. They still consider teacher as a god. First grade and third grade are difficult because so many new skills are taught at those levels, but second and fourth are easier. I had a superintendent one time that told me to stay fresh, you should change grade levels or schools every five years. I think that's true. Good luck whatever you decide.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
I hear you Jrny. Retired teacher here. I held out until I was 58, took the lower pension and moved on. It sounds like you teach high school. Middle school and high school teachers should get hazardous duty pay. I had a credential for high school, but chose to teach in elementary. Maybe you could consider moving grade levels within your current district. Try for second or fourth grade. The kids are nice at those years. They still consider teacher as a god. First grade and third grade are difficult because so many new skills are taught at those levels, but second and fourth are easier. I had a superintendent one time that told me to stay fresh, you should change grade levels or schools every five years. I think that's true. Good luck whatever you decide.
Yes, it is HS. How many times can I be told to suck someone's private parts?
My car get vandalized?
Sit in hours of traffic?
Have students tell me directly that they will not do an ounce of work but I must still pass them?
Get no admin support?
Watch my life waste away?

Yes, I will miss the salary, pension (eventually when I'm eligible) and medical, but you don't live forever.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:06 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,378,480 times
Yeah, the district wanted me to teach middle school or high school because they were short on biology teachers. I told them if they put me in high school, they would probably be calling parents to pick up bodies. Elementary would be a pleasant change for you if you can get the district to reassign you. The litlle kids are really cute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: