Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 05:18 AM

18 posts, read 18,115 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone I am new here, I will be moving to the Las Vegas area in a few months.
I don't know the area well, I only know the strip area, I was thinking about Summerlin or Henderson but open to other suggestions, I am working from home so the location doesn't really matter to me what does matter is safety and I am looking for a safe area with low crime, being close to the strip is also not important to me.

Also can someone give me examples of the average cost of utility bills, such as electricity, gas, internet, TV, local taxes, HOA, etc. for a 3000-3500 square feet house with a pool.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2020, 07:33 AM

223 posts, read 156,415 times
Can’t speak for Henderson, there are some really nice areas and some not so good. But all of Summerlin is mainly safe ( some are going to challenge me on this). For a 3000-3500 home with a pool your looking at the low 600s for that (if you can find one). HOA is not bad, I’d say 100 a month, electric for a house would be 500 or so, depending how cool you want the house. Property taxes, probably 4-6k a year?
Overall the COL is much lower in LV than many other comparable places.

I live in South Summerlin and Its very safe, super quiet and my neighbors are friendly. Henderson is nice in the Macdonald Ranch and Anthem area, which would be very safe as well - so Summerlin or Henderson is good. Those are the only two areas I’d consider.

Old 06-14-2020, 09:41 AM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,297 times
Do some research on this subject that has been talked about on this forum for years. Don't just think Summerlin or Henderson is your only option for safety. I live in Summerlin and its great and overrated at the same time. There are other parts of the valley that are also safe and quiet.

Old 06-14-2020, 09:46 AM

153 posts, read 248,751 times
I moved here a little over two years ago from the east coast so I won't claim to be an expert on all the different parts of town. On a recommendation from a friend, I settled on the Summerlin area and it worked out for me. Without knowing your budget or interests it's hard to pitch one place over another but living in the north west valley makes getting to Red Rock Canyon, ski areas in the mountains and Downtown Las Vegas all very convenient. Henderson probably has it's attractions but I'm not that familiar with them aside from easier access to Lake Mead.

Old 06-14-2020, 11:00 AM

31 posts, read 50,331 times
I've lived in Summerlin for 3 years, very safe and close to many amenities.

Old 06-14-2020, 01:05 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Let's see...If you like formally and well planned areas Summerlin and southern Henderson are a good fit. There is wide variability in the neighborhoods. 3,000 to 3,500 Would cost anywhere from $500,000 to a million. We are presently selling a very upper end 3150 SF home in good Summerlin for $725,000. Others in that neighborhood go for $550,000 to over $800,000.

There are also dozens of other options depending on what appeals to you. There are for instance some large areas of what is called the RNP (Rural Neighborhood Preservation). These are generally large homes on half acres or more. No sidewalks or streetlights. Vastly more variable than Summerlin or S. Henderson. You can run into a ramshackled old place worth $300,000 next to a virtual mansion going 1.5 million. And almost any thing in between. We live on .6 acres with just short of 3,000 SF worth around $550,000. There are similar places around the valley including the NW, far East, well south and some of the older neighborhoods like the fourth and tenth wards. Those can be nice as they are still pretty safe and a good bit cheaper than other options.

Utility costs for such a home range widely with the newer being a lot cheaper. Our total at the moment ranges from around $200 in spring and fall to $550 in the peak heat. We however are on a well and septic which is a lot cheaper than municipal water and sewers. Figure another $100 to $150 for a more conventional utility hook up. On the other hand newer homes with well done insulation may cut the cooling and heating better than in half. The standard cost for a pool is around $100 a month. AA702 is in the business and can give you a quote if you are interested.

The basic HOA fee in Summerlin is around $50. The local association may cost anything from $50 to $200 depending on the amenities. Gated is going to go for around $75 minimum up to $250. There are also many homes without HOAs but mostly older.

If you have children you might want to consider picking areas for the schools. In general all the better schools are upper income and safe.

Old 06-14-2020, 03:35 PM

18 posts, read 18,115 times
Any areas with custom homes that are in a safe area? from my Zillow search I see a lot of cookie cutter homes that all look kinda the same, my budget is around $800 to a million, but that would be the max I'd want to spend.

Old 06-14-2020, 03:59 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabelle22 View Post
Any areas with custom homes that are in a safe area? from my Zillow search I see a lot of cookie cutter homes that all look kinda the same, my budget is around $800 to a million, but that would be the max I'd want to spend.
There are actually lots. Look up Tucson Ridge and Tucson Trails. They are a couple of 1/2 acre tracts where all the homes were custom. There are also a set of smaller tracts in that same are that have Brook in their name. They again were tracts developed with all the homes custom built. Also 89129 and 89149 is filled with custom or semi custom homes. You can also try the 10th and 4th ward which have large numbers though a bit older. There are also many across the i15 from the Strip. Basically from Alto to Sahara to the west of Rancho. There also some semi-customs to the North...the Aliante Country Club comes to mind.

Actually my problem with Summerlin and good Henderson has always been small lots with cookie cutter homes. There are wonderful exceptions but only in the extreme price ranges.

Old 06-14-2020, 05:24 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,705,983 times
I like realtor.com better than Zillow to search. I saw some pretty nice homes for $800K-$1M. You should come spend a at least a few days with a realtor (and without) and drive around to see the different areas. There are lots of different areas here. The Northwest is nice, Summerlin is nice, Seven Hills is nice, many areas of Henderson are nice. They are all different in terms of what the surrounding areas are like, the views, shopping etc.

I lived in the Northwest for a while, moved away, came back and moved to the Seven Hills area. I did a lot of driving around by myself to see the different areas. Get a good map and get to know your way around. It's not a big place compared to cities like Chicago or LA where you can drive for hours and go from suburb to suburb.

I average my power bills monthly, cost is under $100 for 2,070 sq ft single story, no pool. Bigger two story house with pool will be higher.
Gas is $60/mo. Internet is $70/mo. TV is $110/mo or more (Cox is about the only option for internet/TV). Property taxes are about 1% of the cost of the home, HOAs are about $100/mo, some less some more.

Last edited by movin1; 06-14-2020 at 05:33 PM..

Old 06-14-2020, 06:12 PM

1,086 posts, read 745,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabelle22 View Post
We were looking in that price range last year and ended up buying in Red Rock Country Club. Yes cookie cutter but a lot of variety as many models and a lot have been customized inside during the 15-20 years of ownership. Typically under a mil have limited views and/or have not been updated much since they were new. It's guard gated and very close to Downtown Summerlin which is nice for food and shopping options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas