U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 12:10 PM

16,945 posts, read 6,997,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friends4u View Post
Yes.... I have two school going kids...and the education is definitely one of the criteria. I don't think I am prepared to pay for Private schools ! That would definitely be a deal breaker if education scene is that bad ....
It is not "that bad". You need to pay attention to where you locate but there are dozens of good schools.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2020, 12:48 PM

182 posts, read 74,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
It is not "that bad". You need to pay attention to where you locate but there are dozens of good schools.
Don’t take my word or his word on it. Do your own research and come to a conclusion that your comfortable with. When my wife and I made the commitment moving here we knew private school was the only option we felt good with. There are tons of articles that show LV / Nevada having the worst schools in the US. Overcrowding is one of the main causes, along with low teacher pay and significant amount of ESL.
https://m.lasvegassun.com/school-rankings/

Old 06-29-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Cobb View Post
Don’t take my word or his word on it. Do your own research and come to a conclusion that your comfortable with. When my wife and I made the commitment moving here we knew private school was the only option we felt good with. There are tons of articles that show LV / Nevada having the worst schools in the US. Overcrowding is one of the main causes, along with low teacher pay and significant amount of ESL.
https://m.lasvegassun.com/school-rankings/
Quite incorrect. The CCSD system is for instance better than that of LA or NYC.

And NV rates 43rd. Better than AZ and NM for example. See...

https://wallethub.com/edu/e/states-w...-schools/5335/

And practically there are quite adequate schools available. The areas of southern Henderson or Summerlin for example. And there are as well the magnets for those who wish.

CCSD has mostly avoided high level schools though Ad Tech and the Tech schools are pretty good.

I also do not know of a source for your charge of the worst schools in the US. Does not appear to exist.

The CCSD system is not great. Nor are any large school systems with high minority populations. But no it is not awful or the worst.

And I still find it weird that the lowest amount per pupil is spent in CCSD. Hard to believe.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:50 PM

5,601 posts, read 9,889,322 times
Quote:
Yes.... I have two school going kids...and the education is definitely one of the criteria. I don't think I am prepared to pay for Private schools ! That would definitely be a deal breaker if education scene is that bad ....
It's not just the K-12, the university situation in Nevada is pretty mediocre so you have to plan on your kids having out of state or private university tuition in the future.

If you have to travel a lot for business then location of assignments will be crucial. Flights can be longer compared to DFW and cross county flights are a bit of a pain because the timing of them will often match vacationer patterns. So lots of red eyes to the east coast, but not as much choice during the day time. If your assignments are in the west, then you will have plenty of good flights to choose from.

Old 06-29-2020, 08:02 PM

182 posts, read 74,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Quite incorrect. The CCSD system is for instance better than that of LA or NYC.

And NV rates 43rd. Better than AZ and NM for example. See...

https://wallethub.com/edu/e/states-w...-schools/5335/

And practically there are quite adequate schools available. The areas of southern Henderson or Summerlin for example. And there are as well the magnets for those who wish.

CCSD has mostly avoided high level schools though Ad Tech and the Tech schools are pretty good.

I also do not know of a source for your charge of the worst schools in the US. Does not appear to exist.

The CCSD system is not great. Nor are any large school systems with high minority populations. But no it is not awful or the worst.

And I still find it weird that the lowest amount per pupil is spent in CCSD. Hard to believe.
I know you will always be a Stan for the schools here for some unknown reason;

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...amp/1079181001

Old 06-29-2020, 08:09 PM

801 posts, read 311,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
It's not just the K-12, the university situation in Nevada is pretty mediocre so you have to plan on your kids having out of state or private university tuition in the future.

If you have to travel a lot for business then location of assignments will be crucial. Flights can be longer compared to DFW and cross county flights are a bit of a pain because the timing of them will often match vacationer patterns. So lots of red eyes to the east coast, but not as much choice during the day time. If your assignments are in the west, then you will have plenty of good flights to choose from.
For college Nevada students can go to any of the WUE schools and tuition is generally instate + 50%. Tons of great schools on that list.

Old 06-29-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Cobb View Post
I know you will always be a Stan for the schools here for some unknown reason;

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...amp/1079181001
Absurd finding. In actuality NV always heavily outscores AZ and NM. And CCSD outscores LAUSD and NYCSD.

We are not great. But we are a ways from the bottom. And we ought to fix it.

Old 06-30-2020, 12:27 AM

3,114 posts, read 2,013,986 times
One of the problems with the school ratings is too much emphasis is placed on graduation rates, and not the competence of the graduates. Few good public schools in LV, and the few are in pricey neighborhoods. When you start comparing LV schools to Arizona's, you are already in deep trouble. I'll bet there are more than a few administrators in CCSD, who are concerned there will be better test scores as a result of NO school.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:47 AM

310 posts, read 102,889 times
I would do it just based on humidity alone! (I was born and raised in Houston, Aunt & Uncle in Dallas, and Grandparents in Austin.)

Old 06-30-2020, 09:35 AM

638 posts, read 465,678 times
Quote:
LOL... I am raising 3 kids here from elementary to college. Kids here have all the tools to succeed in life. Its the parents that make the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas