U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 09:46 AM

339 posts, read 90,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friends4u View Post
Yes.... I have two school going kids...and the education is definitely one of the criteria. I don't think I am prepared to pay for Private schools ! That would definitely be a deal breaker if education scene is that bad ....
It's not as bad as all the doomsayers are saying. The truth of the matter- if you are a good parent you realize a good education comes from home. Most kids have missed out on the most important part of learning before they even start school. The key is having a head start, developing a love of reading, learning life skills, learning to LOVE to learn. Find out what drives your children and feed that passion. If you do that your kid will thrive.

The problem is most people here in Vegas think parenting is part of the education system, and they don't do their part. Some can't wait to drop that kid off as soon as summer is over.

If your child is taught that learning is fun and good they will thrive. There are excellent magnet schools here. My kids have done well and earned Presidential scholarships. But I take most of the credit for setting them on that path with learning to work hard and getting the most out of it that they can.

They have had a few teachers that were not the best. They have had excellent teachers and classes. But that is a life lesson in itself, learning to work with people who don't have your best interest in mind.

Last edited by Rose998; 06-30-2020 at 09:56 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 11:23 AM

23,014 posts, read 42,140,195 times
^^^^ Words of wisdom.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-04-2020, 11:40 AM

6,808 posts, read 5,671,435 times
We moved from Dallas to Las Vegas in 2017. Although we still have our condo near SMU. Technically, we moved to the Anthem area in Henderson. We live in a 55+ retirement community, but there are many beautiful family communities and really top rated schools in Anthem.

We love it here. When we first moved, we thought we would be traveling (active retirees) almost constantly and also have many visitors. So we bought a smallish house with a guest casita. For a variety of reasons, we are selling our house. Next house will be more spacious because we are home alot. And tho I love the courtyard effect the casita provides to a house, most visitors want to stay on the strip. The weather is so gorgeous much of the year with minimal humidity and very few bugs. We love to be out hiking and there are so many wonderful places to hike. We travel less internationally living here than we did in DFW. When life is normal, there are tons of shows with great discounts for locals and super great restaurants (tho restaurants in Dallas rival LV).

A few things to think about..... culturally, LV is very behind DFW as far as museums and galleries. The Smith Center can’t compete with the Windspear Opera house or Fort Worth’s Bass Hall. There is no rail service from the airport — we liked to use DART — or anywhere. McCarran Airport is fine; but DFW airport is much larger and easier to maneuver as far as parking and driving. Housing is more expensive. We are looking now for a place $800K+ and in DFW the finishes and selection is so much richer. Our now $600K house would probably sell for $350K in Plano (kind of equivalent to Henderson) although here we have fabulous views and 1/3 the property taxes. Utilities are lower here, too, but only one electricity provider. Groceries are a bit more expensive and the Farmers Markets here are terrible; I really miss the downtown Farmers Market in Dallas. Car registration and car insurance are more expensive. We pay about $2000 a year to register our 2 cars. However homeowner’s insurance is much, much lower.

There are lovely, safe communities all over the LV Valley. Let school ratings and commute guide you. However, also be aware the traffic here is MUCH LIGHTER than DFW; and no toll roads!

Last edited by WorldKlas; 07-04-2020 at 11:51 AM..

Old 07-04-2020, 05:14 PM

322 posts, read 172,436 times
Quote:
I am not changing my job ... I am in to ERP implementation... but I travel every week to my client site (fly out Monday - Flay in Thursday) which could differ from assignment to assignment ... so not really a same place of work for me. I just need to be closer to a airport with good connectivity to the rest of the US states.
You and I are in the same line of work. I bought a place in Henderson a few years ago with a plan to eventually live there full time (I live out of state at the moment). I don't have kids but I did want to be near decent schools for property value so I did some research, and Henderson has some schools that are rated pretty high on greatschools. So you can compare on that site if you are considering other cities.

I love LV because of the weather and entertainment options, plus it's close to places I visit (SoCal & AZ). And the COL is reasonable considering those benefits for me. But it depends on your lifestyle and preferences.... the things I see as positives might be seen as negatives by someone else. So it's all relative....

Old 07-05-2020, 01:54 PM

55 posts, read 51,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydogg View Post
You and I are in the same line of work. I bought a place in Henderson a few years ago with a plan to eventually live there full time (I live out of state at the moment). I don't have kids but I did want to be near decent schools for property value so I did some research, and Henderson has some schools that are rated pretty high on greatschools. So you can compare on that site if you are considering other cities.

I love LV because of the weather and entertainment options, plus it's close to places I visit (SoCal & AZ). And the COL is reasonable considering those benefits for me. But it depends on your lifestyle and preferences.... the things I see as positives might be seen as negatives by someone else. So it's all relative....

Thanks...

The biggest downside seems to be the good public schooling options. Dallas has great school it seems in most of the northern part of Dallas suburbs. Vegas seems to be rated very poorly on that front and that could be a deal breaker !

Old 07-05-2020, 02:38 PM

16,945 posts, read 6,997,364 times
Quote:
Thanks...

The biggest downside seems to be the good public schooling options. Dallas has great school it seems in most of the northern part of Dallas suburbs. Vegas seems to be rated very poorly on that front and that could be a deal breaker !
That is really not true. There are a number of schools that will be more than adequate. There are a dozen or so high schools which have quality outcome. The most interesting in some ways are the magnets. The best school in Las Vegas is likely the magnet at Clark High. It is actually a lower end school by zone. But it has a magnet that even outperforms the excellent best private school.

So if you search carefully you can find good schools, safe streets and nice housing. Not hard. If you have a brillliant kid he or she can be accomodated in the magnet programs like Clark. I have a client who is a upper class lawyer. He has all his three kids in the local Technology Academy. He finds it fine.

Old 07-05-2020, 04:12 PM

6,429 posts, read 3,904,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usnftcret View Post
LOL... I am raising 3 kids here from elementary to college. Kids here have all the tools to succeed in life. Its the parents that make the difference.
Vegas is a resort city and some parents have to work multiple jobs just to pay rent and other living expenses.

Old 07-05-2020, 04:16 PM

484 posts, read 239,721 times
Quote:
Thanks...

Some of folks I know that live in Las Vegas utilize the charter schools, there are various options and they can also be more safe.

Henderson and other nearby cities have better, safer schools from what I have been told.

My daughter attended college in Texas and she loves the southern charm and character of the people living in Texas and the old-fashioned values. You will not have that in Las Vegas. Not saying Las Vegans aren't charming or full of character...but it is not in the Bible Belt.

Last edited by ChrisMT; 07-05-2020 at 04:27 PM..

Old 07-05-2020, 07:23 PM

182 posts, read 74,486 times
Quote:
Thanks...

Honestly, if your already in Dallas - I’d stay or if your having to pick between LV or Dallas, I’d go with TX. It’s a no income tax state ( no gain moving to NV) and it’s got a better economy and job variance and schools (depending where you live). Long term, better colleges in TX than NV if your kids are inclined for a college education.

One other thing to consider is real estate costs. It’s higher here in LV than Dallas, all things being equal and lot sizes are pretty much postage stamp size here. Traffic is pretty manageable here, so that is one advantage it has over Dallas.

Culturally LV has little to offer when compared to a major metro area like Dallas, so it’s one other thing to factor.

Good Luck!

Old 07-05-2020, 08:52 PM

16,945 posts, read 6,997,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Cobb View Post
Honestly, if your already in Dallas - I’d stay or if your having to pick between LV or Dallas, I’d go with TX. It’s a no income tax state ( no gain moving to NV) and it’s got a better economy and job variance and schools (depending where you live). Long term, better colleges in TX than NV if your kids are inclined for a college education.

One other thing to consider is real estate costs. It’s higher here in LV than Dallas, all things being equal and lot sizes are pretty much postage stamp size here. Traffic is pretty manageable here, so that is one advantage it has over Dallas.

Culturally LV has little to offer when compared to a major metro area like Dallas, so it’s one other thing to factor.

Good Luck!
Simply untrue Dom. Housing in Dallas is cheaper for SFR value. But the difference is offset by the tremendous difference in property taxes. And the good Dallas schools have no advantage over the good LV ones,

I will always agree that Dallas and lots of other places are much more desirable than Las Vegas if you are a tech type. But that is about it. UNLV and UNR are quite good for many skills. Get down to hard technology Phds you probably want to go to CA. But that is about as convenient and much better schools than TX.

And be careful. How do you define culture? I would think the strip is probably the best place in the US for theatrical performing. Other places may well have better Art Museums and Historical Museums. But none do a better job on the classical performing arts.

And if you are retired LV beats the hell out of Dallas. Not even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas