U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 09:18 PM

182 posts, read 74,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Simply untrue Dom. Housing in Dallas is cheaper for SFR value. But the difference is offset by the tremendous difference in property taxes. And the good Dallas schools have no advantage over the good LV ones,

I will always agree that Dallas and lots of other places are much more desirable than Las Vegas if you are a tech type. But that is about it. UNLV and UNR are quite good for many skills. Get down to hard technology Phds you probably want to go to CA. But that is about as convenient and much better schools than TX.

And be careful. How do you define culture? I would think the strip is probably the best place in the US for theatrical performing. Other places may well have better Art Museums and Historical Museums. But none do a better job on the classical performing arts.

And if you are retired LV beats the hell out of Dallas. Not even close.
Hey Mensch, I know your probably in your 70s - but when was the last time you had kids in school? Kids who went to school in NV? You talk a ton about how great the education is here, but your retired and LV is a good fit for you. I’ve lived all over this country and outside of it, so I have a different perspective to what a good school system is. No matter how you spin it, LV and Nevada rank near the bottom of schools in this country. It’s completely laughable that you think UNLV or Nevada is better than UT or Texas AM, Rice, Baylor, ect.....

Yeah, California schools are good, but we’re not comparing them in this exercise.

As far a culture, the OP is talking about having kids. Apart from the neon museum, mob museum and the atomic testing museum - there is nothing for an art or other type of museum. We are members of spring preserve and children’s museum. Springs preserve is great, but compared to Dallas? Dallas has far more offerings for kids and culture.

Circ du soliel and penn and teller don’t really qualify as “culture”

Friend of mine lives in Coppel TX, great schools and very nice area.

I did a 2 min search on Zillow and saw this house priced comparable to my house in LV but much larger in size and lot and sq ft;

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...26969460_zpid/

I’ll agree, property taxes are higher, but I’m paying 6k a year for a so called “top elementary” school you talk about in Summerlin that has 30-35 kids in a kindergarten class. There, you pay 15k a year and the delta is 7k a year to go to a decent public school, which is less than what I am paying for tuition.

I’m not an authority on schools here, but neither are you. I’m merely giving the OP my perspective having moved here about a year and half ago.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2020, 09:37 PM

801 posts, read 311,284 times
@Dom Cobb you make some good points. My friends who live in Dallas 'burbs speak highly of the schools and living arrangements. It seems to be a good spot!

I have only been to a Dallas a few times. It seems like a perfectly nice large city.
It's a significantly larger city and metro area so I assume has significantly worse traffic than LV!? I'd be curious what are the other negatives to Dallas? For example how does the weather compare to LV? I know they have bigger and more bugs in Dallas, right? I am not trying to "win" an argument here but I'd really appreciate your knowledge having experienced both. Thanks!

Old 07-05-2020, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
@Dom Cobb you make some good points. My friends who live in Dallas 'burbs speak highly of the schools and living arrangements. It seems to be a good spot!

I have only been to a Dallas a few times. It seems like a perfectly nice large city.
It's a significantly larger city and metro area so I assume has significantly worse traffic than LV!? I'd be curious what are the other negatives to Dallas? For example how does the weather compare to LV? I know they have bigger and more bugs in Dallas, right? I am not trying to "win" an argument here but I'd really appreciate your knowledge having experienced both. Thanks!
Never lived in Dallas, but have good friends there in different parts of the metro area and spent a good amount of time there. If you are raising a family, it’s better than here for the reasons above. But, retired - probably LV has it beat for the lack of humidity, lower property taxes and the strip.

Yes, traffic can be brutal in Dallas depending where your commuting to or from. They have a few toll roads, but those are pretty congested too during peak times. Not as bad as the northeast or DC, Atlanta areas I’ve lived but much worse than here.

Weather is more humid than here, and hot in the summer but not has high. Winters are relatively mild, probably more susceptible to swings in snow or ice. I got caught in an ice storm that was pretty bad once and I recall the super bowl there a few years ago had some record cold and ice.

It’s not the Pacific NW, Chicago, or NE which has the worst weather in the country.

Old 07-05-2020, 10:10 PM

16,945 posts, read 6,997,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Cobb View Post
Hey Mensch, I know your probably in your 70s - but when was the last time you had kids in school? Kids who went to school in NV? You talk a ton about how great the education is here, but your retired and LV is a good fit for you. I’ve lived all over this country and outside of it, so I have a different perspective to what a good school system is. No matter how you spin it, LV and Nevada rank near the bottom of schools in this country. It’s completely laughable that you think UNLV or Nevada is better than UT or Texas AM, Rice, Baylor, ect.....

Yeah, California schools are good, but we’re not comparing them in this exercise.

As far a culture, the OP is talking about having kids. Apart from the neon museum, mob museum and the atomic testing museum - there is nothing for an art or other type of museum. We are members of spring preserve and children’s museum. Springs preserve is great, but compared to Dallas? Dallas has far more offerings for kids and culture.

Circ du soliel and penn and teller don’t really qualify as “culture”

Friend of mine lives in Coppel TX, great schools and very nice area.

I did a 2 min search on Zillow and saw this house priced comparable to my house in LV but much larger in size and lot and sq ft;

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...26969460_zpid/

I’ll agree, property taxes are higher, but I’m paying 6k a year for a so called “top elementary” school you talk about in Summerlin that has 30-35 kids in a kindergarten class. There, you pay 15k a year and the delta is 7k a year to go to a decent public school, which is less than what I am paying for tuition.

I’m not an authority on schools here, but neither are you. I’m merely giving the OP my perspective having moved here about a year and half ago.
Kindly stop. And I do know a good bit about the schools here. In fact spent one year as a substitute teacher but quit because I did not think I was good enough to do it. I vastly exceed the knowledge level of most CCSD teachers but I lack the skills of how to deliver the knowledge. Teaching is an art and I was not skilled at it. Too bad in a way. I could have been a great asset but there was no way to easily acquire the basic teaching skills you have to have.

I have also likely got more exposure to various places than you have. I did NYC-Rural Ohio-Louisville KY-Carle Place LI NY-Queens NYC- Bronx NYC - Rochester NY- Los Alamitos CA - Rochester NY - Los Alamitos CA - Las Vegas NV. And my siblings and children live all over the place. Even have one sister who is a British Charted Accountant. And her daughter, A British trained MD. Is now a citizen of Copenhagen Denmark. Given the knowledgeable choice between the US, where she is a citizen, And England where she was born and educated she went to Denmark.

And at the moment I have three grandchildren in College.

And of course Cirque du Soleil and Penn and Taylor and such are hard core culture. They are real culture.

So I suggest you stop putting the place down where you live. It is not perfect but better than a lot of places.

Old 07-05-2020, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Kindly stop. And I do know a good bit about the schools here. In fact spent one year as a substitute teacher but quit because I did not think I was good enough to do it. I vastly exceed the knowledge level of most CCSD teachers but I lack the skills of how to deliver the knowledge. Teaching is an art and I was not skilled at it. Too bad in a way. I could have been a great asset but there was no way to easily acquire the basic teaching skills you have to have.

I have also likely got more exposure to various places than you have. I did NYC-Rural Ohio-Louisville KY-Carle Place LI NY-Queens NYC- Bronx NYC - Rochester NY- Los Alamitos CA - Rochester NY - Los Alamitos CA - Las Vegas NV. And my siblings and children live all over the place. Even have one sister who is a British Charted Accountant. And her daughter, A British trained MD. Is now a citizen of Copenhagen Denmark. Given the knowledgeable choice between the US, where she is a citizen, And England where she was born and educated she went to Denmark.

And at the moment I have three grandchildren in College.

And of course Cirque du Soleil and Penn and Taylor and such are hard core culture. They are real culture.

So I suggest you stop putting the place down where you live. It is not perfect but better than a lot of places.
Not putting LV down, just calling it as I see it. I chose to live here and there are some great things about it which I’m enjoying. But, I made a choice when moving here that private school was the only option, so I’m not complaining. Oddly enough my in-laws are friends with a retired teacher from on of the “best” elementary schools here and she recommended to send our son to private school, she said the crowded classes are something you can’t control. How do you expect to kids to learn with 35 kindegardeners in one room? That’s why they have to go to 2 days a week in class now to keep the distancing.

You act like your an authority so when I put some counter points about cost of housing and education and culture you tell me to stop?

What does your extensive family and travel have to do with answering my question? Apparently none of your children or grand children went to school in LV? Great, admit it and stop pretending like you know this. You even prove my point that your smarter than the teachers, which is not surprising. You seem like a smart guy and educated, which is more than the teachers I met in short time here.

Your an old guy, who raised his kids and is retired in LV. Good for you, LV is a great place to enjoy your golden years, but don’t tell me that Dallas is not a better place to raise a family, when it comes to quality of primary, secondary and higher education and price per square foot for real estate as they correlate to each other.

Old 07-06-2020, 12:02 AM

2,557 posts, read 666,502 times
Quote:
Not putting LV down, just calling it as I see it. I chose to live here and there are some great things about it which I’m enjoying. But, I made a choice when moving here that private school was the only option, so I’m not complaining. Oddly enough my in-laws are friends with a retired teacher from on of the “best” elementary schools here and she recommended to send our son to private school, she said the crowded classes are something you can’t control. How do you expect to kids to learn with 35 kindegardeners in one room? That’s why they have to go to 2 days a week in class now to keep the distancing.

You act like your an authority so when I put some counter points about cost of housing and education and culture you tell me to stop?

What does your extensive family and travel have to do with answering my question? Apparently none of your children or grand children went to school in LV? Great, admit it and stop pretending like you know this. You even prove my point that your smarter than the teachers, which is not surprising. You seem like a smart guy and educated, which is more than the teachers I met in short time here.

Your an old guy, who raised his kids and is retired in LV. Good for you, LV is a great place to enjoy your golden years, but don’t tell me that Dallas is not a better place to raise a family, when it comes to quality of primary, secondary and higher education and price per square foot for real estate as they correlate to each other.
The difference is you seem to insist that yours is the only valid viewpoint and that everyone else needs to see it your way.

BTW - I have a bigger house in NV than your example in TX and it is worth about the same but about 25% of the tax and about 40% lower tax than yours in Summerland.

Old 07-06-2020, 10:35 AM

801 posts, read 311,284 times
Quote:
Never lived in Dallas, but have good friends there in different parts of the metro area and spent a good amount of time there. If you are raising a family, it’s better than here for the reasons above. But, retired - probably LV has it beat for the lack of humidity, lower property taxes and the strip.

Yes, traffic can be brutal in Dallas depending where your commuting to or from. They have a few toll roads, but those are pretty congested too during peak times. Not as bad as the northeast or DC, Atlanta areas I’ve lived but much worse than here.

Weather is more humid than here, and hot in the summer but not has high. Winters are relatively mild, probably more susceptible to swings in snow or ice. I got caught in an ice storm that was pretty bad once and I recall the super bowl there a few years ago had some record cold and ice.

It’s not the Pacific NW, Chicago, or NE which has the worst weather in the country.
I appreciate your post. Thank you. Sometimes it feels as if people can be a bit defensive about LV. I just like to hear people's opinions and experiences. Thanks for sharing!

Old 07-06-2020, 12:52 PM

9 posts, read 7,905 times
I worked the last 5 years as a traveling IT consultant. During that time I lived in Las Vegas, Fort Worth, and Austin. The airport situation in Vegas is pretty good, going east typically means a short layover in DFW, so maybe 3-4 more hours of travel time each way each week, but getting to anywhere on the west coast is often under an hour. I felt like the fact that I had extra segments on east bound trips actually made it easier to get and maintain executive platinum status in the airport, which was a nice quality of life perk when living that constant air travel life.

As far as kids/schools/culture, there are some serious differences to consider. Kids brought up in this city get exposed to a really trashy culture. I mean, I'm fine with it because it seemed normal to me, but in my time living in other places I really saw the differences between myself and other people. On average, comparing the cultures of TX to Vegas, I would say that people raised in Nevada tend to be much more money focused, but less in the hard working "I want to be a surgeon" way and more like "I can make 100k pouring booze to suckers so that sounds fine", less polite, more openly promiscuous, and don't value traditions and relationships as much.

In contrast with my experience that most Texans are accustomed to a more authoritarian world view, much more people in each other's business and trying to subtly give others a hard time if they don't fit the template. North Dallas isn't Lubbock, but you certainly encounter lots of people trying to enforce their norms. All of that gets you people who will at least on the surface try harder to appear to be polite and keep their scandals to themselves. I will say if you are a Christian and that's something you think is important then Vegas is much more likely to have your kids end up somewhere on the spectrum of being Christian-in-name-only to Atheist. In contrast, if you are not a Christian then Texas can be kind of a nuisance in that regard with people Jesus-ing everything up all the time.

Cost of living is close enough to be a wash. Big houses with good schools and close to DFW airport aren't cheap. In Texas you might get a little more acreage or footage but then the airport commutes tend to be more of a hassle and you pay quite a bit more in property taxes.

Outdoor activities North Texas is of course mostly flat with wooded trails and if you want to drive anywhere nearby for a change of pace you have several hours of flat featureless land to pass through. Vegas is right in the mountains, lots of hiking and bouldering and rock climbing and we're within 4-6 hours of the ocean and most of the best national and state parks. I like rocks more than trees so I favor the outdoor scene here significantly over Texas, but other people prefer greenery.

Old 07-06-2020, 06:09 PM

32 posts, read 92,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcNetterfield View Post
people raised in Nevada tend to be much more money focused, but less in the hard working "I want to be a surgeon" way and more like "I can make 100k pouring booze to suckers so that sounds fine", less polite, more openly promiscuous, and don't value traditions and relationships as much.

Sweet - looks like I've found my people! (I'm moving to LV later in the year). See ya soon, Vegas!

Old 07-06-2020, 07:45 PM

360 posts, read 349,985 times
Those people pouring drinks are out of work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas