Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 07:10 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,333,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
In general, most middle class families send their children to suburban school districts in the DFW area, or if they live in Dallas their kids attend magnet or private schools. DISD is unfortunately a district that largely serves kids from disadvantaged families. There are some notable exceptions......

You simply cannot compare Clark and Coronado to DISD; you have to compare to Plano, Coppell, Frisco, Grapevine-Colleyville, Westlake, Southlake and Allen school districts. There are dozens of school districts that serve DFW, and DISD doesn’t represent middle class families. Its not like Clark County schools that serve the entire valley and all the way to Mesquite.
Actually Clark scores very well. But you need to look at how the schools are set up. The top schools in North TX are large and limited to juniors and seniors. So they are not standard high schools. And Clark would still be in the top 5 or so in N. Texas. So the Clark program is clearly of competitive quality compared to the schools of N. Texas.

And your point is that it is unfair to use the Dallas ISD because it involves large numbers of minority students. But what kind of school system do you think CCSD is. Yes, large numbers of minority students. So it would appear the correct comparison would be to Dallas ISD...not to the exclusive suburbs. But if you do Clark still does well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 08:25 PM

1,086 posts, read 744,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Actually Clark scores very well. But you need to look at how the schools are set up. The top schools in North TX are large and limited to juniors and seniors. So they are not standard high schools. And Clark would still be in the top 5 or so in N. Texas. So the Clark program is clearly of competitive quality compared to the schools of N. Texas.

And your point is that it is unfair to use the Dallas ISD because it involves large numbers of minority students. But what kind of school system do you think CCSD is. Yes, large numbers of minority students. So it would appear the correct comparison would be to Dallas ISD...not to the exclusive suburbs. But if you do Clark still does well.
I did not go to a Clark school but I do have an advanced degree and... I can't quite follow this one. I feel like you will just keep posting something to defend LV no matter what is said. Just an observation. It's great you love the place but he doth protest too much.....

Old 07-07-2020, 08:37 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,027,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
I did not go to a Clark school but I do have an advanced degree and... I can't quite follow this one. I feel like you will just keep posting something to defend LV no matter what is said. Just an observation. It's great you love the place but he doth protest too much.....
In the context of Hamlet you are questioning his sincerity. Was that your intention?

Old 07-07-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Nope. Born easterner...ultimate...Manhattan. Grew up in the Midwest/Borderline South. Native dialect is mild southern. Spent decades in upstate NY and OC CA. Worked 20 years in El Segundo. Been in LV for 24 years. Like it here but I live in very different part of LV....6 acres and no street lights or curbs. And I like it fine.

So mostly I am a knowledgeable observer of the scene. I have no intention of saying anything about LV that is not true. And by the way for 18 months I spent two days a week in Dallas. Came out Sunday evening and left Tuesday evening. Had a furnished apartment. And I also contributed and critiqued the decision to relocate that operation to Dallas. And I was right at home there...liked it fine. And had a big set of people there we moved out of Rochester to resettle there. Only problem was I would come back to CA in full southern mode. Take two days to get rid of the y'alls.

In my opinion there is very little difference between the good high schools in any of the good neighborhoods of the US cities. And I love Clark which is actually kind of different. It is a slum school with a very successful magnet attached. And it blows away most suburban high schools.

Old 07-07-2020, 09:36 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,335,862 times
Quote:

My point had nothing to do with minority students. There are tons of middle class minority students going to suburban schools. I wrote ECONOMICALLY DISADVANTAGED. Economics, not race!

Old 07-07-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
My point had nothing to do with minority students. There are tons of middle class minority students going to suburban schools. I wrote ECONOMICALLY DISADVANTAGED. Economics, not race!
Sorry but the two terms correlate very well. The ECONOMICALLY DISADVANTAGED are virtually all minority members. Fact of life. Las Vegas is more Hispanic and I think Dallas is more Black. But they are virtually all minority members.

There are of course poor whites as well. But that group is a small part of the problem in both Dallas and Las Vegas.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:32 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,335,862 times
Quote:
Sorry but the two terms correlate very well. The ECONOMICALLY DISADVANTAGED are virtually all minority members. Fact of life. Las Vegas is more Hispanic and I think Dallas is more Black. But they are virtually all minority members.

There are of course poor whites as well. But that group is a small part of the problem in both Dallas and Las Vegas.
By your justification that Economically Disadvantaged = minority, then that means you believe middle class = white. Very untrue when it applies to the DFW suburban school districts. You simply cannot compare LV schools as a generalization to DISD. Sorry, even if you spent tons of time in Dallas, you do not understand. I raised kids in the DFW area and have owned residential properties all over the metroplex. There are huge differences. Example middle class districts Coppell, HEB, and Arlington ISD’s each has a very strong minority presence and perform leaps and bounds above DISD.

That said, I think some schools in Henderson and Summerlin compare favorably to DFW suburban schools. And I wrote to the OP that Anthem, in general, has good schools.

Old 07-08-2020, 11:34 AM

927 posts, read 882,334 times
Quote:
Both Clark and Coronado have more National Merit Scholarships than the entire Dallas ISD. You can probably find a couple of outlying suburban districts that do well. But they will not do much better than the two listed LV schools
Plano ISD alone had 120 national merit semifinalists. CCSD had 67 (Clark - 31, Coronado - 16). Plano West had 62 national merit semifinalists.

Quote:
Illusory truth.

Old 07-08-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
Plano ISD alone had 120 national merit semifinalists. CCSD had 67 (Clark - 31, Coronado - 16). Plano West had 62 national merit semifinalists.

Illusory truth.
Again the Plano high schools are not conventional. Plano West has 2700 students but all are juniors and seniors. And the other big scores in N. Texas are mostly the same structure.

Dallas ISD is the urban equivalent of CCSD with a significant minority population.

Try apples to apples for a change.

Old 07-08-2020, 12:03 PM

927 posts, read 882,334 times
Quote:
That said, I think some schools in Henderson and Summerlin compare favorably to DFW suburban schools. And I wrote to the OP that Anthem, in general, has good schools.
They don't. Dallas suburbs destroy CCSD affluent suburban schools (Henderson, Summerlin) in number of students earning national merit semifinalists.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/educ...honorees-here/

Coronado HS had 16 semifinalists which puts them outside of the top 20 in the Dallas metro area, despite having a significantly higher student population (3400) than most of the schools on this list.

Clark HS has an AMSAT program that is rigorous and produced 31 NMSFs, but you have to apply and hope to get in (it's a "lottery"). When the principal tried pushing for more zoned students to get into the program, students and parents went to the board meeting and convinced the board to fire him.

Every other school in the valley had 4 NMSFs or less, including the CTAs that are often touted as "good schools".

Just as a disclaimer, NMSF is only one way to measure school quality (and a very narrow one at that). Average ACT scores, standardized test scores (SBAC) help tell the whole picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas