Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 09:56 PM

265 posts, read 204,634 times

Advertisements

For the animal lovers out there, kind people and anyone with knowledge, I'd appreciate your help on this.

Based on what I'm reading, feral/stray cats are allowed to roam. For the last 3 to 5 months, a stray cat has stopped by my home downstairs and waits me for every night. I feed him in a common area next to the sidewalk in front of the parking spots.

I'm a homeowner in my complex. I have new renters downstairs and their patio is about 10 feet from where I drop the food for the cat every night.

There hasn't been any issues yet, but I'd appreciate anyone telling me the following.

1. Can you be cited, ticketed for feeding a stray cat? I can't find that says otherwise in Clark County. Is it against the law?

2. My HOA rues has nothing in the rules regarding the feeding of stray animals. How should I feel about this?

My new neighbors may not have an issue with this, but I'd like to know what my legal rights are if anything comes up or if there is a conflict.

Thank you so much. For the record, I pick up a bowl he eats out of the following morning and throw it out. He usually eats everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2020, 10:22 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Call or email animal control; they should be able to advise you. Meanwhile, it's very thoughtful of you to feed the critter. My mom used to hand-feel peanuts to squirrels that came to her door.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-27-2020, 10:30 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,968,809 times
They banned people from Pueblo Park in Summerlin for feeding the cats...it disrupts the natural food chain. Always an abundance of people willing to feed strays..never seen one of them cleaning up the crap...

Here is where to look for laws...https://library.municode.com/nv/clar...08HOPETAVASTPE

Old 06-27-2020, 10:36 PM

335 posts, read 186,858 times
Actually the humane society supports this. I called asking about stray cats. They simply can't take care of them or have the space. They will even pick up and trap your feral cat to make sure it is fixed and has shots. They will return it to you after they are done. I ended up adopting a stray cat that I started feeding. She was so sweet. I took her into the vet and she was fixed. It's clear she belonged to someone before as she is pretty tame.

Old 06-27-2020, 11:19 PM

Thank you all. It's in a gated community complex and it wanders in here. Sometimes there is a second one, but he waits yards away from the patio area downstairs of the new neighbors, but he doesn't go on it. He just wants his food for the night and then moves on. It's so sad. He's scared of everyone.

Old 06-27-2020, 11:23 PM

335 posts, read 186,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasfan1985 View Post
Thank you all. It's in a gated community complex and it wanders in here. Sometimes there is a second one, but he waits yards away from the patio area downstairs of the new neighbors, but he doesn't go on it. He just wants his food for the night and then moves on. It's so sad. He's scared of everyone.
Yeah, there's a network of people in my community that take care of the cats. I think it is very humane. And as long as they are fixed it will keep the population from expanding. I don't think most strays are feral. From my experience. I think they are abandoned animals from people who should never have had a pet in the first place.

Old 06-27-2020, 11:24 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,857,329 times
If you're going to feed him you need to get him neutered, too, if he isn't already. Otherwise you're just making more stray cats. Contact a local rescue or animal control about getting a live trap.

Old 06-27-2020, 11:41 PM

395 posts, read 272,348 times
If you are just feeding him once a day, I'd advise moving your feeding time
to morning. Nuisance animals are more likely to come out at night and that
is where your neighbors are going to complain the most.

Here is info on how to borrow a humane trap from The Animal Foundation
and to get the cat spayed/neutered and their vaccines for free.

https://animalfoundation.com/get-pet...community-cats

Thank you for caring for these homeless cats!

Old 06-27-2020, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariza160 View Post
If you are just feeding him once a day, I'd advise moving your feeding time
to morning. Nuisance animals are more likely to come out at night and that
is where your neighbors are going to complain the most.

Here is info on how to borrow a humane trap from The Animal Foundation
and to get the cat spayed/neutered and their vaccines for free.

https://animalfoundation.com/get-pet...community-cats

Thank you for caring for these homeless cats!
He has a tendency to come only at night at the same time. I never see him during the day. He just wants to eat his food and move on to wherever he sleeps.

There aren't any female cats in here. It's a gated community.

My mother back in another state feeds dozens of stray cats a day. I also have my own cat which is formerly a stray kitten too. I just feel so bad for him.

I own and they rent, they are new and the HOA knows me well, as does the landlord of the property. Nothing may occur whatsoever, but I wanted everyone's advice.

Old 06-28-2020, 03:10 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,277,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasfan1985 View Post
For the animal lovers out there, kind people and anyone with knowledge, I'd appreciate your help on this.

Based on what I'm reading, feral/stray cats are allowed to roam. For the last 3 to 5 months, a stray cat has stopped by my home downstairs and waits me for every night. I feed him in a common area next to the sidewalk in front of the parking spots.

I'm a homeowner in my complex. I have new renters downstairs and their patio is about 10 feet from where I drop the food for the cat every night.

There hasn't been any issues yet, but I'd appreciate anyone telling me the following.

1. Can you be cited, ticketed for feeding a stray cat? I can't find that says otherwise in Clark County. Is it against the law?

2. My HOA rues has nothing in the rules regarding the feeding of stray animals. How should I feel about this?

My new neighbors may not have an issue with this, but I'd like to know what my legal rights are if anything comes up or if there is a conflict.

Thank you so much. For the record, I pick up a bowl he eats out of the following morning and throw it out. He usually eats everything.

Join the group "Las Vegas Cats" on Facebook. Filled with animal rescue people, and people that love cats and feed tons of ferals nightly. They can help you with any and all questions regarding cats and feeding them. I am also a member in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: