Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 05:46 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,794,868 times

Advertisements

We've known coronavirus is far less deadly in younger populations, and especially children. What is new information is that kids carry a viral load of 100x more than adults.
What is unknown is how effectively they spread the disease and especially to adults and the more vulnerable.

Old 08-04-2020, 05:50 PM

848 posts, read 645,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
We've known coronavirus is far less deadly in younger populations, and especially children. What is new information is that kids carry a viral load of 100x more than adults.
What is unknown is how effectively they spread the disease and especially to adults and the more vulnerable.

Keep perpetuating the irrational fear of children being in school...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ch-study-shows

Old 08-04-2020, 07:00 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,250,804 times
Kids can't attend public schools, but for $100 a week 5-12yo can go here.

Safekey Program

Old 08-04-2020, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_Irish View Post

All I said is that we don't really know of kids can spread the disease, early indications are that they aren't effective at it, so if true, then yes, there wouldn't be a need to keep kids out of school.

We also thought the virus would be contained in China.

The policy of shoot first ask questions later, hasn't really helped us.

Old 08-04-2020, 11:10 PM

779 posts, read 468,988 times
Quote:

I hope this was a RCT study, otherwise it's worthless.

Old 08-05-2020, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Ok

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/as-schoo...m-coronavirus/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...ovid-outbreak/

Last edited by OmegaSupreme; 08-05-2020 at 03:44 AM..

Old 08-05-2020, 05:20 AM

74 posts, read 59,097 times
Quote:

The discussion here seems to forget the very first thing CDC said about school reopening is the transmission rate of a community. If the transmission rate of a community is still high why would anyone be stupid enough to throw flame into the fire by opening the school? There are going ito be plenty of adult involved in an on campus instruction and a lot of them are the at risk group. Does anyone think that it is smart to increase my gathering of people and more economic activities when a community is already high in transmission rate? It is the type of thinking that get us to where we are today: the worst countries in the world in term of handling Covid 19. Most countries tried to push down the rate of transmission before reopening their activities in stage. In US case, we try to push activities as much as our hospital can handle and we want to throw school opening into this backdrop of policy. So it is not enough to risk the young adult to pop up the economy, we should risk the kids, the teachers, the custodian, the bus drivers, the lunch room workers to make sure our activities is high high as we can. Can anyone here discuss with a straight face on which state has a low enough Covid transmission rate that should consider in person school opening? I certainly don’t think NV or Vegas fit that description.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...fe-return.html

Key considerations for school administrators
COVID-19 transmission rates in the immediate community and in the communities in which students, teachers, and staff live
Approaches to cohorting that fit the needs of your school/district and community (e.g., keeping students in class pods, staggering when students return to school facility, having the same teacher stay with the same group of students)

Old 08-05-2020, 12:02 PM

26,162 posts, read 48,881,878 times
Here's a list of major public school systems (PSS) status regarding reopening. The only major city PSS to try to reopen is NYC and that's an iffy thing with their opening date yet TBD.

NYC, like many PSS, have old buildings with only basic air handling / ventilation systems. Decades of low funding, even in wealthy areas, leaves most schools unable to provide much besides basic boxy rooms not designed to control airborne contagions which is why most people agree that kids bring home with them just about every bug that's "going around." It will be no different with COVID-19, it will infect PSS teachers and staff as well as older family members back home.

The question of "Should CCSD reopen fully?" has been decided; the above link indicates CCSD will be "remote learning only" this fall, and while opinions will vary widely, the deal is done.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-05-2020, 03:43 PM

Thank goodness. It's the right decision.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...ek/ar-BB17yRBn

Old 08-05-2020, 05:01 PM

1,310 posts, read 633,979 times
I see 2 arguments on this topic:

1. Teachers and kids will get infected. Keep schools closed. Distance learning only!

2. This virus is just another flu.... teachers are fricken lazy.... Kids NEED school!

I'm totally fine with distance learning. I'm not ok with having a little kid look at technology the entire day but I would rather have the kid use technology for learning than to have him infected with a deadly virus. Want to go back to a normal life? So do I.... but I also don't want to get sick with a virus nobody has any solid information about.

I'm not gonna pretend like I'm a medical expert and I certainly won't act like this virus is "just another flu". Problem with our society is half of the population acts like pompous idiots acting like they know everything when they don't. And before anyone plays the politics card, I'm not some democrat who believes everything the media says...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: