Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 01:54 PM

927 posts, read 882,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
Will CCSD be using a structured online distance learning program or will it be a crap shoot like it was the last few months of school-with teachers flying by the seat of their pants?
Blame the district not the teachers for the crap that happened in the spring. We were told by the district (1) do not teach any new content to the students (2) you cannot assign any new assignments (3) you cannot take attendance daily (4) any attempt at an assignment no matter how incorrect it is results in full credit, including tests that a student failed and wanted to "redo" at home.

In spite of all of this, maybe 5% of my students submitted any work to be graded, 25% of my students weren't even checking in weekly, and anyone who failed the class the principal changed their grades to passing marks after teachers submitted grades.

We won't be seeing that model in the fall. All we've been told is that we will be using Canvas this year (colleges use this program for their online learning), and that we're going to be put through 2 weeks of training on it, most likely led by overpaid CCSD administrators who have never used the software and haven't taught in a classroom in years.

Old 07-21-2020, 02:21 PM

7,060 posts, read 4,506,701 times
I am retired and have only taught at the college level, my kids are grown so no dog in this fight. Online learning is not good for kids with disabilities or elementary kids. However, everyone’s health is more important so it seems reasonable to wait a few months before returning to school. It’s a real dilemma. The

Old 07-21-2020, 02:29 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,259,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
Blame the district not the teachers for the crap that happened in the spring. We were told by the district (1) do not teach any new content to the students (2) you cannot assign any new assignments (3) you cannot take attendance daily (4) any attempt at an assignment no matter how incorrect it is results in full credit, including tests that a student failed and wanted to "redo" at home.

In spite of all of this, maybe 5% of my students submitted any work to be graded, 25% of my students weren't even checking in weekly, and anyone who failed the class the principal changed their grades to passing marks after teachers submitted grades.

We won't be seeing that model in the fall. All we've been told is that we will be using Canvas this year (colleges use this program for their online learning), and that we're going to be put through 2 weeks of training on it, most likely led by overpaid CCSD administrators who have never used the software and haven't taught in a classroom in years.

All the more reason kids need to be in school. As you know we're dealing with Las Vegas parents. Most can't or won't be able to help their kids, and those kids will fall so far behind-It makes me sad. One of my daughter's teachers had her using canvas while they were home and I used it for college classes. So, thankfully we wont have to worry about that.

I don't know all details that go into these decisions and I'm glad I'm not in charge of it, but I have questions. Is it not possible to find out which parents want to continue distance learning due the pandemic and get them set-up? That would mean less kids on buses and in classrooms. That would make things more manageable for classrooms I would think. Of course then there is the issue of cost to keep things sanitary, PPE etc.

My daughter is at the age she can work independently, but she wants to attend school. I asked
what her friends say and they also want to go back to school.

I hate 2020.

Old 07-21-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I am retired and have only taught at the college level, my kids are grown so no dog in this fight. Online learning is not good for kids with disabilities or elementary kids. However, everyone’s health is more important so it seems reasonable to wait a few months before returning to school. It’s a real dilemma. The
Hopefully kids can resume in person classes this year, but who knows? Everything is up in the air. I see some people are trying to set up controlled, home classes of same aged kids in their neighborhood. Not a bad idea.

Old 07-21-2020, 03:43 PM

7,060 posts, read 4,506,701 times
I feel so sorry for the kids. They are missing out on so many things.

Old 07-21-2020, 03:49 PM

848 posts, read 647,637 times
Quote:

What science supports anything you are saying?

Old 07-21-2020, 03:58 PM

848 posts, read 647,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
All the more reason kids need to be in school. As you know we're dealing with Las Vegas parents. Most can't or won't be able to help their kids, and those kids will fall so far behind-It makes me sad. One of my daughter's teachers had her using canvas while they were home and I used it for college classes. So, thankfully we wont have to worry about that.

I don't know all details that go into these decisions and I'm glad I'm not in charge of it, but I have questions. Is it not possible to find out which parents want to continue distance learning due the pandemic and get them set-up? That would mean less kids on buses and in classrooms. That would make things more manageable for classrooms I would think. Of course then there is the issue of cost to keep things sanitary, PPE etc.

My daughter is at the age she can work independently, but she wants to attend school. I asked
what her friends say and they also want to go back to school.

I hate 2020.
If uninformed parents who pay no attention to the science do not want to send their kids back to school this fall, then there is a wide variety of free online charter schools from which they can choose. CCSD does not need to reinvent the wheel. If they don't like the free online charter options, there are many other distance learning programs from which parents can choose. Even thought we homeschool, my kids do take some distance learning classes through an accredited school back east. They have a teacher whom they can readily reach. Their work is graded promptly, and they also get a transcript showing all of their classes and grades which can be used when they apply to college.

Even though we homeschool our kids, our family is still negatively impacted by CCSD's ineptitude. Many of the activities school kids and my kids enjoy, such as athletics and the arts, are being shelved for no good scientific reasons whatsoever.

I also hate 2020 right now because it is an election year, and from my perspective, the teachers unions know they can continue to cripple the economy up until election day by keeping schools closed. I personally never want to hear from liberals and teachers again about their concerns for working families and children. If they cared, the subject of opening schools would not even be up for debate; the schools should already be preparing to open for in-person instruction.

Old 07-21-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_Irish View Post
If uninformed parents who pay no attention to the science do not want to send their kids back to school this fall, then there is a wide variety of free online charter schools from which they can choose. CCSD does not need to reinvent the wheel. If they don't like the free online charter options, there are many other distance learning programs from which parents can choose. Even thought we homeschool, my kids do take some distance learning classes through an accredited school back east. They have a teacher whom they can readily reach. Their work is graded promptly, and they also get a transcript showing all of their classes and grades which can be used when they apply to college.

Even though we homeschool our kids, our family is still negatively impacted by CCSD's ineptitude. Many of the activities school kids and my kids enjoy, such as athletics and the arts, are being shelved for no good scientific reasons whatsoever.

I also hate 2020 right now because it is an election year, and from my perspective, the teachers unions know they can continue to cripple the economy up until election day by keeping schools closed. I personally never want to hear from liberals and teachers again about their concerns for working families and children. If they cared, the subject of opening schools would not even be up for debate; the schools should already be preparing to open for in-person instruction.

I don't want to go crazy on teachers, but Ive been reading posts/opinions from teachers in another forum I visit and the majority of those posters seem to be concerned about one thing: themselves.

Maybe my opinion on opening schools is different because of my background.

If I was a teacher I would wear a mask and faceshield. I'd have a bleach water basin and rags ready to wipe down chairs and desks between students (Can teachers use bleach?) Each kid needs to sanitize hands upon entering the classroom. All kids need masks. Kids and teachers eat lunch at their desks, or outside if possible, maybe staggered & well spaced in the lunchroom?. Ask if anyone feels sick before starting class if so go to the nurse. Remind them not to touch their face & if they need to, sanitize before and or after.

I feel that teachers can easily spot sick kids plus, children don't have a reason to hide not feeling well. You can tell by their behavior and the way they look. Adults go to work sick because they have bills to pay, don't have or get paid sick time, etc.

Could professional organizers/interior designers volunteer their time to help teachers maximize space in their classrooms? I'm just thinking aloud. I don't know what teachers go through daily, but I wish them and all of us good luck.

Old 07-21-2020, 04:52 PM

927 posts, read 882,334 times
Quote:
I feel so sorry for the kids. They are missing out on so many things.
It's a shame that they're missing out on active shooter drills, all of the fights, all of the drugs.

I have students who only show up to school to deal drugs. Other students who do absolutely nothing - on test days they sit there and don't even put their name on the paper (my tests are open note with a practice test). Others who sit on their cell phone the entire period, refusing any request to put it away, admin refusing to take it. Others who walk out of class whenever they want.

On the bright side, our graduation rates keep rising (almost 90%!), and nearly 15% of the school has a 4.0 and half the school is on the honor roll. Although average ACT scores are in the 17s and have been stagnant for years.

Old 07-21-2020, 04:59 PM

1,086 posts, read 744,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
It's a shame that they're missing out on active shooter drills, all of the fights, all of the drugs.

I have students who only show up to school to deal drugs. Other students who do absolutely nothing - on test days they sit there and don't even put their name on the paper (my tests are open note with a practice test). Others who sit on their cell phone the entire period, refusing any request to put it away, admin refusing to take it. Others who walk out of class whenever they want.

On the bright side, our graduation rates keep rising (almost 90%!), and nearly 15% of the school has a 4.0 and half the school is on the honor roll. Although average ACT scores are in the 17s and have been stagnant for years.
You are always so chipper with your report on the kids. Really pathetically sad on a number of levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: