Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 11:04 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,008,563 times

Advertisements

This comes from the WSJ, which is behind a paywall, so I will quote:
Quote:
A new report from the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine offers advice to the people who run American school systems:
Given the importance of in-person interaction for learning and development, districts should prioritize reopening with an emphasis on providing full-time, in-person instruction in grades K-5 and for students with special needs who would be best served by in-person instruction...
Evidence to date suggests that children and youth (aged 18 and younger) are at low risk of serious, long-term consequences or death as a result of contracting COVID-19.
The National Academies report also notes that children don’t just rely on schools for education:
In some communities, schools have increasingly become a key point of coordination for health and mental health services for vulnerable students and families... School nurses conduct screenings, administer medications, address acute injuries and illnesses, and help students get needed care. They also help prevent disease outbreaks by tracking student immunization requirements and monitoring health trends...
The National Academies report continues:
Keeping schools closed to in-person learning in Fall 2020 poses potential educational risks for all students. Children and youth benefit from learning experiences that include support from a teacher and interactions with peers. Even when it includes virtual interactions, distance learning cannot take the place of in-person interaction... The risks of not having face-to-face learning are especially high for young children, who may suffer long-term consequences academically if they fall behind in the early grades.
Americans in general will suffer long-term consequences if politicians refuse to allow reopening and revival.

Note that
Quote:
The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine are private, nonprofit institutions that provide independent, objective analysis and advice to the nation to solve complex problems and inform public policy decisions related to science, technology, and medicine. They operate under an 1863 congressional charter to the National Academy of Sciences, signed by President Lincoln.

Old 07-18-2020, 04:12 PM

223 posts, read 154,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
This comes from the WSJ, which is behind a paywall, so I will quote:

Note that
Unfortunately they cannot, the class sizes won’t allow it and the state is already broke and and cannot afford the additional costs for Covid. It’s a bad situation with no good solutions.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:03 PM

927 posts, read 875,469 times
No

Old 07-21-2020, 12:40 PM

848 posts, read 642,934 times
Yes

Old 07-21-2020, 12:44 PM

1,086 posts, read 734,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
No
You seem like a disgruntled teacher but I'll still ask you why?

I don't know what's right so am sincerely curious.

Do the health risks to teachers outweigh the potential benefits/risks to kids?

Or do you not like realizing that teachers are day care for of people?

Or are you like my kids teachers and got used to that 30 minute zoom class a few days a week and want to keep up that schedule?

I am sincerely curious and would be interested in the pros and cons from a teacher's perspective. What am I not considering? Also, does it matter what age the kids are? What about limited in classroom like one week on and one week off for example?

I worry this will go all school year in most big cities.

Old 07-21-2020, 01:19 PM

They're announcing full time distance education at tonight's board meeting.

Old 07-21-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
They're announcing full time distance education at tonight's board meeting.
Just when I thought CCSD could not do any worse, the district shows it is still possible to do so. Any parents with children in a CCSD school who care about their kids' education should immediately remove their children from CCSD and find a better alternative. There simply is no science which supports this political decision by CCSD. The damage this nonsense is inflicting on children, especially kids from low- and middle-income families, is unconscionable.

Old 07-21-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_Irish View Post
Any parents with children in a CCSD school who care about their kids' education
You're addressing less than 5% of the population in CCSD.

Old 07-21-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
You're addressing less than 5% of the population in CCSD.

That would not surprise me.

Old 07-21-2020, 02:07 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,239,508 times
Yes.

But since teachers seem to want to push back and force distance learning, I want to know how its going to be implemented. Will CCSD be using a structured online distance learning program or will it be a crap shoot like it was the last few months of school-with teachers flying by the seat of their pants? If its going to be left up to teachers than I'll just pay for an online program like Pearson Academy, or something.

I'm pretty irritated with teachers, that is for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: