U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 10:58 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,600,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I used to be on here quite a lot. Call it a phase I guess. I just randomly thought about this forum today abd decided to come take a peak. Hope you are all well. I just recently moved to an apartment in Summerlin and got hired as a bartender at long long last. Been driving for Uber and I’ve been making money hand over first
Thanks for the well wishes.

A former Vegas cab driver told me Uber and the like have put a huge dent in the traditional taxi business.

I have to read about Summerlin. I wonder if it is peaceful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2021, 04:31 PM

265 posts, read 164,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
That’s incredible!! An AC unit lasting 35 years, wow! I swear for everything I hear about “such and such only lasts this long,” there are some startling exceptions. I heard you need your pool resurfaced every 10-15 years, but my uncle’s is at 27 years now and he’s never had to resurface it. I heard some AC units only last 10 years, maybe 15.
My air conditioning is 33 plus years old and runs great. It's the original unit.

Old 07-11-2021, 08:00 PM

1,064 posts, read 838,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
A former Vegas cab driver told me Uber and the like have put a huge dent in the traditional taxi business.
I was a ride share convert until Monday July 5 at 11 pm when I got a ride share quote for $63 from McCarran to my home 8 miles away in Henderson. A quick stroll to the taxi stand, no waiting, $45 including 20% tip.

I will never rely on the rideshare quote before checking the taxi fare estimate leaving the airport. No amount of arguing about surge pricing or taxi cartels will change the facts of paying far too much to go 8 miles. Do your research. Rideshare has lost much of its appeal to me. Of course I could never get a cab on demand from my residence in a timely manner, but going the other way.....cabs are back in the options available.

Just an observation from someone who wrote off cabs and learned a lesson.

Old 07-11-2021, 08:11 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,679,124 times
$63 for 8 miles? holy cow! let's see....mccarran to pahrump is 58 miles, that would be ~$455. too rich for my bank account!

Old 07-11-2021, 11:13 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,600,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
$63 for 8 miles? holy cow! let's see....mccarran to pahrump is 58 miles, that would be ~$455. too rich for my bank account!
I've never been to Pahrump. I think that's where radio host Art Bell was. I wonder what it is like. I guess it's rural.

Old 07-12-2021, 09:10 AM

1,064 posts, read 838,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
Counting the rideshare to the airport, it cost me $83 to and from the airport. Economy lot at $12/day for the length of my trip (5 days) would have saved me $23.

I know there are cheaper off-site options with free airport shuttle, but I would not drive past the airport to park and ride.

I imagine with the UFC and Garth concert, rideshare drivers did great this weekend.

Old 07-12-2021, 03:29 PM

17,772 posts, read 7,819,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasfan1985 View Post
My air conditioning is 33 plus years old and runs great. It's the original unit.
My second AC unit is 35 years old and going strong. In fact for the last 6 weeks it was the only AC we had. We left the fan running on the dead unit which helped spread the cool throughout the house.

Spouse wanted to go ahead and replace the second unit while we were at it. Talked her out of it.

Old 07-12-2021, 03:40 PM

17,772 posts, read 7,819,796 times
A new interesting story, We had a bee hive in the space between the roof tiles and the roof. Went through a lot of options. First set of a commercial hive nearby on hopes they would move. Nope.

Had one of the Bee guys to bid a little less than $1000 to open the roof and remove them. Checked other sources and all pretty big bills. Finally had a guy bump them off and seal the area.

Not the end of the bees though. Two weeks ago another hive on the other side of the house. Easily removed though.

Now guess what - over the weekend while house cleaning we hit a new surprise. Puddles of honey on the fireplace and the library floor. The original hive had melted and ran down a light fixture into the library. So now we are off cleaning up a mess of honey!

So any bees that enter the property can expect no welcome. Dead quick.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:55 AM

628 posts, read 304,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
I've never been to Pahrump. I think that's where radio host Art Bell was. I wonder what it is like. I guess it's rural.
In 2008, I drove there to check out Shari's. The GPS told me to drive into the open desert. I turned around and came back to Las Vegas.

Old 08-08-2021, 11:41 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,246,707 times
In Albertson's a can of corned beef hash is a bit over $5. Yea I know but I like it. Then there's fruit. 1.99lb on the low end for apples? It's over when penny candy (Old Heads remember penny candy) cost 25 cent each.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas