Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 09:20 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,474,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrismom View Post
To those of you with helpful advice, thank you very much. The rest of you have made what life in Vegas is like very clear to me. I'm very disappointed in the people of Las Vegas, and in this site. I won't stoop to your level and throw out a bunch of insults. Valuable lesson: If you don't have anything nice to say, it's best to say nothing at all.
When you post on a public forum you need to realize that everybody's opinion counts and is accepted....whether YOU like it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 10:51 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Quote:
If you don't have anything nice to say, it's best to say nothing at all.
but that makes for such BORING posts......

Warning....if ya wanna live in LV ya gotta be able to take it.........

Old 05-01-2008, 01:18 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
My family and I(husband and 17 month old son) are considering a move to Las Vegas next summer and we are beginning to really narrow our home search. I am a teacher in the suburbs of Cincinnati, Ohio, and in one of the top five districts in the state. I am looking for ANY information on the best areas to move to with children, the best schools to send my son to, and the best schools to teach in as well. I have 14 years experience in the public middle and high school arenas, and I'm not really willing to "do my time" in the trenches. Also, are there any areas to absolutely avoid in looking for a home and district in which to live? Which private schools offer the best education and the most safety? I've researched the Clark County School District and I'm honestly not very impressed with what I've seen; I'm hoping there's more than is posted on their webpages. I would love to hear from parents about their experiences in the school systems! Thank You!
Here is a link to the state requirements for teachers. Click on "Reciprocity" to see if your experience will be accepted.
Nevada Teacher Licensure - Dept. of Education

Old 05-01-2008, 02:05 PM

65 posts, read 231,159 times
I'm actually shocked at some of these responses too. There is no need to be hateful or mean. If you don't feel it is worth your precious time, then don't respond - move on. Sheesh - she just asked a few questions - nothing out of line in my opinion. I agree that she could use the search engine to find some answers - but maybe she just wanted some personal interaction. I know that prior to moving out here, I asked questions that probably could have been found with the "search engine". I chose to ask because I wanted personalized interaction. Lighten up people!!

Old 05-01-2008, 07:58 PM

I hate to get involved in a petty argument but I think it is this line that is causing the OP the problem.

I've researched the Clark County School District and I'm honestly not very impressed with what I've seen

Old 05-01-2008, 08:00 PM

713 posts, read 2,717,474 times
Well, out of curiosity, do any Clark County residents feel that these foreign teachers are affecting the quality of the schools?

I'm sorry. I should have quoted first...what desertsun41 said,"Yet they hire and fly up (free of charge) brand new fresh out of college Philippine teachers with no teaching license and sign them to 2-3 year contracts"

Old 05-01-2008, 09:38 PM

99 posts, read 416,882 times
Default Hmm...

Well, yeah, things have gone off the rails a bit here, but, as a prospective CCSD teacher who is willing to pay my dues, I just found the tone of her initial posting offensive. I didn't mean to pile on, but really...I have been on this forum less than a month and understand why people here are frustrated with the same old questions. I think that you have to visit the area and see if you think it'll work for you, which I did last week. As far as I'm concerned, it's all green lights, though I didn't visit a supermarket at 2 am to see what was doing with the meth heads (maybe next time). I did, however, see a city that is booming, with its share of challenges. Show me a place that isn't struggling to integrate all the different people moving into it. I'm excited about the opportunity to get a fresh start in a city that truly has so much to offer.

I certainly don't mean to ostracize anyone, but you have to be a bit resourceful on these boards, as the questions have already been answered.

See you soon, NV!

Jason

Old 05-01-2008, 10:52 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epad View Post
I'm actually shocked at some of these responses too. There is no need to be hateful or mean. If you don't feel it is worth your precious time, then don't respond - move on. Sheesh - she just asked a few questions - nothing out of line in my opinion. I agree that she could use the search engine to find some answers - but maybe she just wanted some personal interaction. I know that prior to moving out here, I asked questions that probably could have been found with the "search engine". I chose to ask because I wanted personalized interaction. Lighten up people!!
Actually if she came back, rephrased a little, and continued someone would have answered. Some of us are genetically unable to refuse.

Got to admit though it is nicer than the bad old days. Then if you said anything good about Vegas you got poleaxed. It got to the point where I could not believe I really lived in this hell hole. But nicer people prevailed. Now we are almost down to DesertSun...and he tries too hard to be negative to be really good at it.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verynicebecky View Post
Well, out of curiosity, do any Clark County residents feel that these foreign teachers are affecting the quality of the schools?

I'm sorry. I should have quoted first...what desertsun41 said,"Yet they hire and fly up (free of charge) brand new fresh out of college Philippine teachers with no teaching license and sign them to 2-3 year contracts"
I haven't seen any proof that is really happening, but if you go to the state website that I posted above you'll see that might be illegal. But go to any hospital and you'll find most of the nurses are from the Philippines. Does anyone know the REAL reason for that?

Old 05-05-2008, 05:50 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,591,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I haven't seen any proof that is really happening, but if you go to the state website that I posted above you'll see that might be illegal. But go to any hospital and you'll find most of the nurses are from the Philippines. Does anyone know the REAL reason for that?
Nursing is the traditional way to improve your life for Filipino women. My wife is from the Philippines and out the five sisters three became nurses, one works with a health insurance company and my wife joined the Air Force, and worked as a medical technician.

I believe it is a combination of wanting to improve their lives, their hard working attitudes, and their overall friendliness and caring that make them good nurses. Now why do they all end up at the same hospital? I call it the Filipino friends network, one finds a good job and tells a friend, that friend hears someone needs a job and tells them about their friend with the nursing job, and so on and so on. I can't knock it, I found a baby sitter back in California within two hours just because my wife was able to ask the person who was cleaning the temporary housing on base if she knew anyone.

Sorry if this was long winded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas