Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 09:45 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times

Advertisements

Ugh-Its weird but something told me to go see Silverado Ranch but I didn’t . I wish Las Vegas had more official neighborhoods or neighborhoods. It’s hard to get a sense of what an area is going to be like when there’s no official designation. To know places like “inspirada” it’s seems like you have to already bee in the area...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2020, 09:56 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,884,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Ugh-Its weird but something told me to go see Silverado Ranch but I didn’t . I wish Las Vegas had more official neighborhoods or neighborhoods. It’s hard to get a sense of what an area is going to be like when there’s no official designation. To know places like “inspirada” it’s seems like you have to already bee in the area...
Yeah cause it you ask a local where's Whitney they would probably have no clue, but probably could give you an idea where Inspirada or Silverado Ranch is. Area names are mostly based on the planned or at least named community they are built in. Most of these places have no real reason to go to unless you live there or are looking for a place.

Old 09-11-2020, 03:26 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,057,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea this is what I gathered from online and what I gathered visiting. I love the fact that the VAST majority of places cater to a middle class or lower middle class environment but there’s definitely ample room for a person of means to live comfortably and with entertainment. You can drive by the checking cashing places and onto somewhere else desirable the Las Vegas Premium outlets, DTS, or Henderson I suppose. The area feel socioeconomically diverse which is something that I value out of principle. Keep in mind my class of origin is lower middle/working class, I saw the dollar stores and dollar joints I understand they attract some minor level of transience, grift property valuation or what have you. Just not to the extent I’d be worried about it. Those stores are typically more modern and spacious in Vegas than back home. I’d be renting for at least 2/3 years and then my home purchase I’d be about 30 looking for just a starter home.

But I have to say, I did head far northwest to see some of the large homes out there that sit on the foot of hill and overlook the valley. If I were wealthy I would be a it concerned about security despite the extensive fencing protecting these homes. When I was out there taking in the view, two dirt bikers can they the brush behind someone’s house and I immediately realized that this sort of sparse desert set up leaves you sort of vulnerable to a house breaks. Anyone could pull up to your house in the more undeveloped areas. I could see why squatting is an issue.

The area I stayed at in Northeast Las Vegas has one large German Shepard two blocks from me. Some folks who just by mannerism and dress I would MBTA typically associate with suburban living but they were friendly and every single property was clean. I felt more happy for them than I did skeptical. As far as tons of people outside? I just saw kids on scooters, a lemonade stand and some young toddlers at the park. Whitney was a bit more sketchy and older it didn’t seem too bad but it wasn’t for me. I don’t think most of East Las Vegas is except maybe the fringe ?
I just have to chuckle, because you hear the same recommendations over and over again, like Summerlin & Henderson are some kind of magical place where all of the problems of the city disappear. You are right in that Vegas is extremely diverse. I always think its funny when people on here get snobby about Dollar General & Walmart. In my opinion, if they're willing to pay more for the exact same products, that's their prerogative, but I sure won't.

FWIW I lived in the DC area for 18 years and in/around B-more for 7 of those. While the housing stock in Baltimore is older all around, I would say Towson is comparable to Summerlin. Henderson is probably more comparable to Cockeysville/Hunt Valley. I would also put Centennial & Aliante in that boat. East Las Vegas is probably comparable to say, the west side of Baltimore out to Catonsville. Downtown is probably closest to Fells Point/Curtis Bay, although it might be even more accurate to call it an overgrown Glen Burnie. Vegas doesn't really have any extremely run down areas like some parts of Pigtown, Sandtown, or North Avenue, although the LV Blvd/Lake Mead Blvd area of North Las Vegas gets close. Lake Las Vegas would be closest to Roland Park. Parts of Vegas North and West of Downtown, but inside 95 remind me of Mt. Washington.

Old 09-15-2020, 02:09 PM

7 posts, read 5,644 times
I am looking at AirBnb's for my upcoming move to LV and found one I'm interested in that's located in Art District. Is that area safe to consider for a month's stay?

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-15-2020, 02:40 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,057,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobiemom73 View Post
I am looking at AirBnb's for my upcoming move to LV and found one I'm interested in that's located in Art District. Is that area safe to consider for a month's stay?

Thanks in advance.
I wouldn't want to walk around there at night. Lots of roving homeless crackheads in that part of town. If you're in a condo, I would make sure the building has security on site with controlled access.

Old 09-15-2020, 03:19 PM

1,627 posts, read 1,710,721 times
Quote:
I am looking at AirBnb's for my upcoming move to LV and found one I'm interested in that's located in Art District. Is that area safe to consider for a month's stay? Thanks in advance.
I went there over a year ago to check it out, looking for art. I was not too happy walking around in broad daylight. I haven't been back, no idea what it's like today but doubt much has changed.

Old 09-15-2020, 05:04 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,007 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
I wouldn't. I like the Arts District for First Fridays when there are lots of people around, but when I went to meet people at Cornish Pasty I felt terribly uncomfortable with the homeless there on my own. We drove down there looking around last week after sunset. Main street is being renovated and remodeled but it still has a ways to go. Still lots of homeless. I like the location though. It's central for getting around to other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas