Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 05:31 AM

2,880 posts, read 2,804,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
Funny but your post is right on. We stayed at a suite last week and next door to us, in a regular studio room, was a family of 6. Granted 4 were kids of varying ages but 6 people in a tiny room is not my idea of fun. The look of the Vegas visitor, on the strip, was much different this week than in the past. I am not going to say worse but just different than normal. The other noted difference was that the homeless and homeless looking people are making themselves much more comfortable on the strip. I would say way too comfortable. Wed night we were walking on the strip, around the Flamingo, and there were two homeless people sleeping ON the sidewalk about 8:00 pm. If there was the normal tourist crowd they wouldn't have done that. I think the hotels need to find a way to cut that number down as the combination of less tourists around makes the strip feel less safe. For example, going for a run at 6:00 am was never a concern for me in the past as tons of people still out for the night as well as others out for a morning walk/run. Now there are few other people except vagrant looking people in the early morning hours. Time to work on truly CLEANING UP the strip!
What do you expect with massive unemployment, skyrocketing house prices and easy access to drugs and gambling?

We can't fix our community with poor decisions, like footing the bill for the Raiders stadium instead of investing in education and things that actually matter.

This is just the beginning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2020, 04:56 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
This isn't Mayberry.
Glad you cleared that up

Old 09-30-2020, 01:12 PM

1,517 posts, read 540,727 times
Default Open for conventions

Conventions can return to Vegas, this is good news. It's only 250 but it's a start.

On Tuesday, Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak announced get-togethers of up to 250 people as well as many live entertainment events, trade shows, concerts and conventions — hallmarks of Las Vegas tourism — can resume under strict rules.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/las-vegas...145458886.html

Old 09-30-2020, 04:10 PM

261 posts, read 234,642 times
Just think about how many people were hurt more by closing their businesses than by the CV 19. It is just staggering. An ilistration on how government can destroy people and get away with it. It is a bit out of control now.

Read more: //www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...as-open-3.html

Old 09-30-2020, 06:15 PM

472 posts, read 244,097 times
I don't see how increasing the occupancy to 250 people max is going to help alot of these companies (trade shows, entertainment, etc). With all the increased regulations and precautions now, as well as decreased occupancy, a company has to think it's not going to be very profitable to open their doors. If a company thinks that they can come out ahead in this, that's terrific. Unfortunately I don't see alot of movement here in terms of reopening. We shall see.

Old 09-30-2020, 07:02 PM

9,523 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpi View Post
Just think about how many people were hurt more by closing their businesses than by the CV 19. It is just staggering. An ilistration on how government can destroy people and get away with it. It is a bit out of control now.

Read more: http:////www.city-data.com/forum/las...as-open-3.html
I tend to agree with you. It does seem that way doesn't it. So many people have had their life ruined over this virus. Jobs and businesses shutdown or out of business. More damage in numbers than what the virus itself has done infecting people. Here in Florida Disney is laying off 28,000 workers in the next few weeks. Though I imagine that's between Florida and California operations.

Old 10-01-2020, 11:29 AM

395 posts, read 272,252 times
It's amazing the ripple effects of the business shutdowns.
I flew back to Vegas yesterday and the airports I travelled
through: Philadelphia and St Louis were ghost towns.

Las Vegas airport seemed busy when I was upstairs deplaning but
when I got to baggage claim, I saw how false that reality was. Where
normally they have something like 10 luggage racks going at a time, there
were maybe only 2 in operation.

The airline stewards on my plane were discussing how all the companies
are starting to lay off employees.. outside baggage handlers, staff in the airlines,
counter staff. I think the one employee told me something like a 75% reduction.

I totally agree that the federal and state response has been majorly botched and businesses absolutely destroyed by poor government planning and implementation.
I'm not even saying it's just one party..it is across the board. It just is incomprehensible how the "most powerful nation on earth" can be so inept.

Old 10-01-2020, 01:35 PM

1,086 posts, read 745,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariza160 View Post

I totally agree that the federal and state response has been majorly botched and businesses absolutely destroyed by poor government planning and implementation.
I'm not even saying it's just one party..it is across the board. It just is incomprehensible how the "most powerful nation on earth" can be so inept.
Well said. I get tired of people bashing Trump or on the other side bashing Sisolak or Newsom or probably others. It is across the board. It's a huge mess and it's been met with ineptness across the board! Sad really.

Old 10-01-2020, 03:12 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,343,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
Well said. I get tired of people bashing Trump or on the other side bashing Sisolak or Newsom or probably others. It is across the board. It's a huge mess and it's been met with ineptness across the board! Sad really.
There is definitely enough "credit" to go around. There was no real precedent for this, so handling it in the face of quickly-changing protocols and increasing knowledge (I'm in health care, and we get regular CDC briefings, so I know how much it has changed) has been a major challenge. Also, there has been a complete lack of leadership on the federal level, when a strong national response might have allowed us to get more in front of it with less draconian measures. Instead of a unified front, we got an inconsistent hodgepodge of 50 different ideas of how best to handle things. Some states shut down too much, others not enough, some stayed tied down for too long, while others opened up too soon and/or too thoroughly and saw an explosion of cases. There have been overreactions in both directions. Then there have been those pushing for opening things up completely, and holding up as examples states with very low population density (I see South Dakota mentioned often), as if that is a valid argument.

I don't have all of the answers, but too many people have pretended that they do.

Old 10-01-2020, 03:17 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Let's avoid discussing politics and fault in the matter, we're stuck in this together and we must work together to get ourselves out of this mess.

So, what's open, due to open, etc.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: