Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 06:23 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Summerlin is expensive too.

Try the far northwest...areas to the north of Summerlin. Neighborhoods zoned for Centennial High School should be fine.

Actually Shadow Ridge scores better than Centennial which is right next to arbor view. I would think anything in the NW is OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 09:48 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
There was one (and I stress one) woman that we talked to-she ran a little diner-not quite sure where we were, but we were asking for directions to Aliante area and she got to talking to us. She lived in the Arbor View HS area and of course she could not say enough good things about the school. She said her daughter graduated with a 4.2 GPA and she will send all her grandkids even if they have to come live with her. She also said Shadow Ridge was HORRIBLE. (her tone, not mine)

This is where the confusion comes in, I guess. You want to do the right thing and make the best, informed decision you can and yet there are so many different views. Areas, I don't mind the different views, but schools are important. When I hear from actual people instead of reports or stats, I wonder what experiences affected them either negatively or postively. Maybe it is just the kid? Or the family unit?

I go to Schooldigger.com and research the schools. What I had to realize as I was researching various schools was that I think I am in a great school district with wonderful schools. On this site, Coronado rates a 5 out of 5 stars, I think it is the only public (not counting charter)school that is-maybe Boulder City is too-so I compare with the HS here and it is a 3!!!! I was actually shocked. So, here I am desperately trying to get my kid in the "5" school and yet there are many 3's and 4's in Vegas too. Maybe there is different criteria they go by per state, but I figured the same site would use the same criteria across the board.

Still thinking...getting closer though!! You all are great!

Old 05-07-2008, 10:12 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Kimba - Can you deal with a spread sheet?..I have a pretty good one on the high schools but it is a work in process. If you have excel I will share it with you and how to use it. If not I may get it up on the web site in the next couple of weeks

Old 05-08-2008, 08:00 AM

I can read spreadsheets, but I do not have excel at the moment. If you get it on the site, let me know and I will gladly check it out!!

Thanks!!

Old 05-14-2008, 11:55 PM

560 posts, read 2,187,366 times
I asked around at school and also talked to parents who have students at some of the high schools mentioned. First of all, my neighbor whose daughter currently attends Legacy just got busted for drugs and alchohol. These are very attentive parents and I knew this girl last year and she was a really great kid. Still is, just fell in with the wrong crowd. They are putting her in Gorman next year.

Shadow Ridge, Arbor View and Palo Verde are all great schools. From what I have heard from other teachers Coronado is probably the best of the lot. If your choice is between Shadow Ridge or Arbor View I don't think there is enough of a difference to mention.

I also recently discovered that if you go to one of the Magnet high schools you can still play sports. You just play for the school you are zoned for. Just a side note, I didn't know this until recently.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:21 AM

"also recently discovered that if you go to one of the Magnet high schools you can still play sports. You just play for the school you are zoned for. Just a side note, I didn't know this until recently."

Thanks for the info! I did read this somewhere here. My daughter is not athletic, she is more into the drama/acting/orchestra stuff.

I guess a big concern is that we put a deposit on the Equestrian for 6 mos and then I have read not so great comments about it. It is Coronado and that played a big part, but if I eventually settle there I think I would probably like the NW area and that would mean moving her again. So, that brings in a different dilemma now. I doubt we can really afford the 89052 area, especially because I will still have a mtg here.

Big thing is that we still do not have a specific date set by the boss. He is actually out there dealing with a big issue with the City Center, so he is hard to pin down. Makes it hard to really plan. I haven't even enrolled her anywhere out there and I know it is getting late. I hate to tell the schools here that she won't be back next year until I know for sure. It is crazy.

Last edited by kimba01; 05-15-2008 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: quote.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:37 AM

560 posts, read 2,187,366 times
Makes it hard to really plan. I haven't even enrolled her anywhere out there and I know it is getting late. I hate to tell the schools here that she won't be back next year until I know for sure. It is crazy.[/quote]

Don't worry, schools out here are used to getting numerous new students at all different times of the year. The only issue may be some classes she may want may be full, but honestly, as long as you enroll her before the end of the school year even that won't be an issue. Keep in mind that most schools are closed the entire month of July and re-open in early August.

Also, if you think you want to settle in the NW I would try to avoid switching your daughter in high school. The move from MI is HUGE and then to get her settled and uproot her again will make life very difficult for you as her mother since that is where teenage girls tend to take out their angst. Trust me, I am dealing with an injured teen who is used to being extremely active. NO PICNIC let me tell you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas