Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2020, 02:06 AM

56 posts, read 63,753 times

Advertisements

Hi there, so what are all the unpleasant surprises, either financially or living-related since you began living in Las Vegas? Please share everything either pleasant or unpleasant you have encountered since your day 1 in Nevada.

So far the unpleasant things I have encountered,
1 high car registration cost every single year
2 annual smog inspection requirement
3 high sales taxes and sales tax on take out foods
4 nothing to do (I do not like travelling, sightseeing or gambling)
5 state is slowly encroached by democrats

But I really love southern Nevada, love it so much that's why I would like to know what other "unpleasant surprises" y'all have encountered so I can have a better mental preparation.

Pleasant surprises:
1 amazing sunshine
2 fantastic weather (comparing to disgusting Ohio)
3 roads are generally wider than Ohio and most roads have bike lanes and road shoulders
4 the driver license lasts for 8 years
5 the dry climate is so much more comfortable than the stuffy Florida torture

Old 11-13-2020, 03:27 AM

61,629 posts, read 86,981,866 times
Debunking unpleasant:
1. Not too bad, actually.
https://www.compare.com/auto-insuran.../vehicle-costs
2. Half of the country is imposed.

https://blog.carsforsale.com/emissions-testing/
3. Pretty much in the middle.

https://taxfoundation.org/2020-sales-taxes/
4. It's hard to please someone who doesn't even like travelling or sightseeing. Only boring people are easily bored.
What you would like to do?

Old 11-13-2020, 08:38 AM

1,086 posts, read 744,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gender View Post
Hi there, so what are all the unpleasant surprises, either financially or living-related since you began living in Las Vegas? Please share everything either pleasant or unpleasant you have encountered since your day 1 in Nevada.

So far the unpleasant things I have encountered,
1 high car registration cost every single year
2 annual smog inspection requirement
3 high sales taxes and sales tax on take out foods
4 nothing to do (I do not like travelling, sightseeing or gambling)

But I really love southern Nevada, love it so much that's why I would like to know what other "unpleasant surprises" y'all have encountered so I can have a better mental preparation.

Pleasant surprises:
1 amazing sunshine
2 fantastic weather (comparing to disgusting Ohio)
3 roads are generally wider than Ohio and most roads have bike lanes and road shoulders
4 the driver license lasts for 8 years
5 the dry climate is so much more comfortable than the stuffy Florida torture

We haven't moved yet but nothing to do? Concerts? Shows? Hiking? Day trips to interesting places like Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Southern Utah? Eating at world class restaurants? Shopping? I just don't get how you can say nothing to do.

As to #5 maybe more of us in our UNITED country should find a way to make life less about politics and more about getting along!?

BTW, I like your idea for the thread. It's good for people to know what to expect!

Old 11-13-2020, 09:54 AM

503 posts, read 597,503 times
Cons

1. Terrible drivers. Most don't check their blind spots when turning
2. Not many walkable, urban areas or areas with mixed residential/retail

Old 11-13-2020, 12:28 PM

2,845 posts, read 4,515,074 times
not to be a debbie downer but, your unpleasant items 1-5 were easily searchable before moving here.

Old 11-13-2020, 12:51 PM

61,629 posts, read 86,981,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh12 View Post
Cons

1. Terrible drivers. Most don't check their blind spots when turning
2. Not many walkable, urban areas or areas with mixed residential/retail

Terrible drivers...
Open any of the City-Data state forums and on every single one people complain about terrible drivers. Looks like the general opinion is that US drivers aren't that great, but not just in LV

Walkability...
Most American cities are built for cars. However, the Downtown Las Vegas area, is incredibly walkable, providing a great opportunity to navigate the neighborhood on foot.
LV is not a city someone would choose to live in because of walkability, though. No other city beats NY, SF, Philadelphia or Boston.

In a case you dare to explore:
https://juhllv.com/2017/07/21/enjoyi...-aspects-city/

Old 11-13-2020, 03:18 PM

1,339 posts, read 648,376 times
Can't really compare Las Vegas to other places since I didn't start paying my own bills and paying for my own stuff until I moved to Vegas lol. I definitely think Vegas drivers are crazy but heck, I could find crazy drivers in any city of the US.

I grew up in the North East part of the US so I miss the rainy days. It gets cold in Vegas but that's it. No rain.

Education sucks here. It's rare that you hear anything positive from the school district.

If you like traveling, all the tourist spots are close by if you know how to drive.

The road markings in Vegas SUCK.

Did I mention the drivers are crazy? It is VERY common to see cars driving at 10-15 mph higher than the speed limit.

Old 11-13-2020, 05:45 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,051,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gender View Post

Democrats have been a presence in Clark County ever since Nevada received statehood. Check the county's voting record. Nevada has also sent more Democrats to the US Senate, on average, than many other states.

Old 11-13-2020, 11:46 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,135,962 times
give me spots on my apples
but leave me the birds and bees
please

_

Old 11-13-2020, 11:52 PM

68 posts, read 40,101 times
Lack of educated professionals. Most of the population in LV works in hospitality so advanced education is not really desired/needed. Very few adults here have any sort of post-secondary education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas