Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2020, 03:23 AM

56 posts, read 63,753 times

Advertisements

Hi there, what are some of your favorite money saving tips that you live by that trims or eliminates any of your day to day living expenses?

I currently pay
530 a month in rent
102 a month in car insurance
33 a month in unlimited data cell phone plan
250-300 a month in groceries and ready to eat foods (burger king BOGO whoppers and El Super burritos)
45 a month in medical insurance
12 a month in dental insurance
50 a month in Costco gasoline

Any suggestions on dramatically further cutting any of these expenses?
How do you control, squeeze and eliminate your living expenses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2020, 03:48 AM

61,632 posts, read 86,981,866 times
Dramatically reduce? By how much?
You could:
- get a roommate,
- sell the car and use public transportation which is very good there (that would eliminate registration, insurance, maintenance and gas)
- get a flip phone
- cook at home

Old 11-13-2020, 06:26 AM

273 posts, read 207,625 times
I think you're doing really well right now! Those are some low expenses.

The one thing I do to save money is eat up all food. Don't waste it and eat leftovers. I used to be more wasteful when it comes to food. Now that I'm not, I notice a difference in how much I spend.

Old 11-14-2020, 01:06 AM

6,384 posts, read 11,875,954 times
A little over $1000 in expenses is pretty hard to beat. Are you really not making it ok on that? Not going to find many people paying under $800/person in rent these days unless you are living with roommates or family.

Old 11-14-2020, 03:18 AM

56 posts, read 63,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
A little over $1000 in expenses is pretty hard to beat. Are you really not making it ok on that? Not going to find many people paying under $800/person in rent these days unless you are living with roommates or family.
Yeah I do rent a small room in a house, with 2 roommates in 2 other rooms and the landlord and his son in the master bedroom. Yeah my objective is to slim down the expenses to the very extreme. I was thinking of eventually getting rid of my car, and get myself a Standing Electric Scooter and just go get groceries using the scooter at the nearest Albertson's or Smith's, Because the car insurance expenses, car registration expenses, maintenance and repair expenses and gasoline expenses would instantly disappear.

I have also decided to drive less, only go out to El Super or Walmart twice a week to get essential food items, and not buy anything electronics related that would not immediately improve my quality of life. Also no new clothing items for the next 20 years.

Any tips you have that would further slim down the current budget?

Old 11-14-2020, 12:00 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,751,797 times
Based on all your complaints about Las Vegas recently, sounds like the best tip is to move to someplace with a lower COL! Just because you want to live in LV doesn't mean you can afford to.

Old 11-14-2020, 01:10 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,070,939 times
Seems like you're doing very well in keeping your expenses down. I would think your best bang for the buck would be work on increasing income. Improving job, second job, uber/doordash/etc. Not sure how viable that all is at the present time, but that's what I would work on.

Old 11-14-2020, 03:35 PM

355 posts, read 213,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gender View Post
Yeah I do rent a small room in a house, with 2 roommates in 2 other rooms and the landlord and his son in the master bedroom. Yeah my objective is to slim down the expenses to the very extreme. I was thinking of eventually getting rid of my car, and get myself a Standing Electric Scooter and just go get groceries using the scooter at the nearest Albertson's or Smith's, Because the car insurance expenses, car registration expenses, maintenance and repair expenses and gasoline expenses would instantly disappear.

I have also decided to drive less, only go out to El Super or Walmart twice a week to get essential food items, and not buy anything electronics related that would not immediately improve my quality of life. Also no new clothing items for the next 20 years.

Any tips you have that would further slim down the current budget?
Will you be making your own clothes?

Old 11-14-2020, 06:25 PM

50 posts, read 23,168 times
Question...How are you paying $45 a month for medical insurance? What type of insurance? What is your age and income?

Old 11-15-2020, 02:10 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,273,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrny View Post
Question...How are you paying $45 a month for medical insurance? What type of insurance? What is your age and income?

I pay less than $15 a month for medical insurance, but I have a huge deductible. So, it's not so great. Certain incomes you get a discount per month. You find this out at the Nevada Health link website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: