U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-16-2020, 09:49 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
2,862 posts, read 2,123,232 times
Reputation: 2417

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
There's a little saying I have when threads like this pop up.

No car, no Vegas.

Vegas is auto-centric. Life in Vegas works very poorly without a car. The combination of the weather and the architectural topology really demand having a car. You're putting yourself at a huge disadvantage without one. Enter rethink this move, or make a move to a more pedestrian friendly city.
Not if you live and work on the strip or anywhere else you spend most of your time. There's uber for everything else
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-17-2020, 05:06 AM
 
2,444 posts, read 4,232,900 times
Reputation: 1396
Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
I doubt that much. I'd sell it in a second to Carvana. Private party sales are a pain in the butt, often take months to find that one buyer, and there are no guarantees. I have bought and sold a lot of cars in my life and I have found it totally not worth it to do private party. Depends on the value of one's time, energy and stress I suppose.
I had the opposite result. Used cars are selling even faster right now due to lack of inventory.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2020, 05:10 AM
 
2,444 posts, read 4,232,900 times
Reputation: 1396
Quote:
Originally Posted by gender View Post
I found it also be very difficult to deal with sketchy people from all walks of life and have to take the risk of potentially invalid payments and bad checks... CarVana quoted me 12859 for my car. Do you think I can get even higher elsewhere?
What's so hard. Once you agreed on the sale price. You both both meet at the buyers bank were they get you a cashers check and you hand over the title signed over to them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2020, 07:56 AM
 
Location: Here and there, you decide.
12,618 posts, read 24,990,923 times
Reputation: 4674
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
I retired in 2010. In August 2018, I took a part time job that has turned into a full time job due to Covid. I sell home theater audio/video equipment - business is booming. In 2019, my commission only income was so bad I almost quit, it wasn't worth the time and effort I was putting into it. In 2020, I'm doing better than I thought would ever be possible. It seems lots of folks prefer to stay home and watch TV these days. I think the trend will continue to some degree even after Covid is under control. When one person gets a nice system and their friends see what's possible, they want one too. A lot of my new customers are from word of mouth referrals.
Especially when you can get an 85” for under 1500 at Sams Club
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2020, 10:07 AM
 
8,514 posts, read 2,712,235 times
Reputation: 14795
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
I retired in 2010. In August 2018, I took a part time job that has turned into a full time job due to Covid. I sell home theater audio/video equipment - business is booming. In 2019, my commission only income was so bad I almost quit, it wasn't worth the time and effort I was putting into it. In 2020, I'm doing better than I thought would ever be possible. It seems lots of folks prefer to stay home and watch TV these days. I think the trend will continue to some degree even after Covid is under control. When one person gets a nice system and their friends see what's possible, they want one too. A lot of my new customers are from word of mouth referrals.
Where's a good place to buy a home theater projector & installation services? Asking for a friend.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2020, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Summerlin NV
56 posts, read 40,366 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Try Honda West also.
Went to Honda West Today, Honda West Quoted 10500
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2020, 02:11 PM
 
Location: Summerlin NV
56 posts, read 40,366 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
I would check Autonation (if any dealerships in Vegas) and someone above mentioned another dealer to check. You also could throw it up on Craigslist for a couple days until your CarVana quote expires. I have done that before with Carmax. However, in my experience CarMax and CarVana pay pretty good. They pay GREAT lately as CarVana is desperate for inventory. Used car sales are up but they are sort of like Uber they are ok losing money as they build an industry. Plus they make money on selling warranties and stuff. I personally would take the CarVana quote and not think a moment more about it.
Went to Auto Nation this morning, Auto Nation quoted 11000, Same as CarMax
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2020, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Summerlin NV
56 posts, read 40,366 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
There's a little saying I have when threads like this pop up.

No car, no Vegas.

Vegas is auto-centric. Life in Vegas works very poorly without a car. The combination of the weather and the architectural topology really demand having a car. You're putting yourself at a huge disadvantage without one. Enter rethink this move, or make a move to a more pedestrian friendly city.
The question is, if I get all of my groceries delivered to the doorstep, never go to the trips or go hiking, never go outdoor or go on dates or meet new people, use Uber/Lyft for once or twice a year medical/dental appointments, ride a bike or a standing scooter to the nearest grocery store if I want to grab some fresh produce, exactly when and how would I actually need to have access to a car?

If I'm sick, I can just ride an uber/lyft to the nearest emergency care facility. If I'm way too sick, I'll call 911 and get an ambulance. What other scenarios would I actually have the need to use a vehicle?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2020, 04:00 PM
 
5,607 posts, read 9,896,516 times
Reputation: 4949
Quote:
Originally Posted by gender View Post
The question is, if I get all of my groceries delivered to the doorstep, never go to the trips or go hiking, never go outdoor or go on dates or meet new people, use Uber/Lyft for once or twice a year medical/dental appointments, ride a bike or a standing scooter to the nearest grocery store if I want to grab some fresh produce, exactly when and how would I actually need to have access to a car?

If I'm sick, I can just ride an uber/lyft to the nearest emergency care facility. If I'm way too sick, I'll call 911 and get an ambulance. What other scenarios would I actually have the need to use a vehicle?
Why even live in Las Vegas if that's the lifestyle you truly want to commit to? You might as well live out in Pahrump or Kingman and save a lot of money on rent and still get all you seem to think you need. People don't move to or remain in Las Vegas to live the most minimalist life possible. Not saying there is no one pursuing that, but its just not the reason why people choose to live in this part of the world. And for the reasons most people live in LV, they do need a car.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2020, 04:39 PM
 
Location: NW Seattle
3,225 posts, read 1,638,723 times
Reputation: 4087
What about the summer? Being out in the heat every time you go somewhere could be downright dangerous.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top