U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 03:50 PM

56 posts, read 40,078 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I got a quote for my car at Carmax in Henderson today and the quote was 11000 USD for my 2016 Hyundai Tucson SE.
Selling my car would benefit me in 3 ways: 1 no more car insurance expenses 2 no more 301 dollar a year car registration expenses 3 no more oil changes and maintenance expenses

How do I deal with day-to-day life problems?
Groceries: I will be using Instacart or Walmart Plus to get groceries delivered to the doorstep
Outdoor activities: I don't like sports, exercises or travelling
Once a year medical and dental appointments: Using Uber or Lyft

Any other things my fellow beloved Nevadans would think that I should be doing before getting my car sold? Is there any things I need to get done prior to trading it in and become carfree? Please help me think it through!

I am single, no dependents, family lives overseas, no interest in social activities or eating at restaurants, so Please help me think if there's anything I should be doing or anything I should get done before going genuinely car free. Thank you so much
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2020, 04:54 PM

917 posts, read 1,268,662 times
Why not detail the car yourself inside and out and engine compartment. Then list it on cars.com and Facebook Marketplace. If Carmax is willing to give you that much it’s retail value is probably several thousand more. On the other hand if there are problems with the car then carmax is the way to go. Remember to personally fill out a sellers report of sale to DMV especially if carmax buys it. Had a friend who got an impound notice to a vehicle they sold to carmax because the new owner didn’t register it right away. Also if you are planning on selling the the vehicle the longer you wait the more chance for dents, repairs, scratches that can affect value.

Last edited by Packrat1; 11-15-2020 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: Edit

Old 11-15-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
Why not detail the car yourself inside and out and engine compartment. Then list it on cars.com and Facebook Marketplace. If Carmax is willing to give you that much it’s retail value is probably several thousand more. On the other hand if there are problems with the car then carmax is the way to go. Remember to personally fill out a sellers report of sale to DMV especially if carmax buys it. Had a friend who got an impound notice to a vehicle they sold to carmax because the new owner didn’t register it right away. Also if you are planning on selling the the vehicle the longer you wait the more chance for dents, repairs, scratches that can affect value.
Great suggestions! I just got a quote at Carvana and they offered 12850 USD instead of Carmax's 11000 USD! Love it

Old 11-15-2020, 08:50 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,337,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gender View Post
Great suggestions! I just got a quote at Carvana and they offered 12850 USD instead of Carmax's 11000 USD! Love it
Try Honda West also.

Old 11-15-2020, 11:12 PM

2,444 posts, read 4,230,675 times
Do a private sale and dont be in a hurry to sell. Your leaving about $2000 of the table selling to Carvana.

Old 11-16-2020, 02:27 AM

10,353 posts, read 23,216,786 times
If you are really selling your car, make sure you live on or very near a bus line. Or get to like exercise and walk to many places. At least get a bicycle with a rack on the back so you can get groceries that way. Plus a good lock so no one steals it while you are in the stores. Or get a scooter/wheelchair thingie and just ride around everywhere and in the stores with it to get groceries.

You could also sell your car and get a cheapie beater car that will get you around, one that no one would ever want to steal. Insurance on it would probably be a lot less. And registration.

I just don't know why someone would want to give up almost everything to save some money, and then will end up probably not too happy when you have not much left.

Old 11-16-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
If you are really selling your car, make sure you live on or very near a bus line. Or get to like exercise and walk to many places. At least get a bicycle with a rack on the back so you can get groceries that way. Plus a good lock so no one steals it while you are in the stores. Or get a scooter/wheelchair thingie and just ride around everywhere and in the stores with it to get groceries.

You could also sell your car and get a cheapie beater car that will get you around, one that no one would ever want to steal. Insurance on it would probably be a lot less. And registration.

I just don't know why someone would want to give up almost everything to save some money, and then will end up probably not too happy when you have not much left.
I have bought a Standing Electric Scooter so I can scoot around if I wanna see the beautiful blue skies and bright Nevadan sunshines.

Groceries I'll use InstaCart or Walmart Plus to get them delivered to my door directly so I basically can waive all potential grocery trips.

Doctors appointments/ dental appointments/ driver license renewals, these rare occurrence events I'll just take Uber or Lyft and use the cheapest option. Occasionally they have Uber Pool and Lyft Pool which further drives down the cost of using the rideshare.

Why do I cut down these expenses even if it means miserable sacrifices? Because once you get rid of your financial burden, you are a true free man. Your income can cover your expenses, and you never have to worry about all the misery that comes with the car. The biggest problem is the auto insurance. It's so hard to swallow the voluntary 6 month insurance premium increase and constant shopping around...

Old 11-16-2020, 09:27 AM

801 posts, read 311,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedxer View Post
Do a private sale and dont be in a hurry to sell. Your leaving about $2000 of the table selling to Carvana.
I doubt that much. I'd sell it in a second to Carvana. Private party sales are a pain in the butt, often take months to find that one buyer, and there are no guarantees. I have bought and sold a lot of cars in my life and I have found it totally not worth it to do private party. Depends on the value of one's time, energy and stress I suppose.

Old 11-16-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
I doubt that much. I'd sell it in a second to Carvana. Private party sales are a pain in the butt, often take months to find that one buyer, and there are no guarantees. I have bought and sold a lot of cars in my life and I have found it totally not worth it to do private party. Depends on the value of one's time, energy and stress I suppose.
I found it also be very difficult to deal with sketchy people from all walks of life and have to take the risk of potentially invalid payments and bad checks... CarVana quoted me 12859 for my car. Do you think I can get even higher elsewhere?

Old 11-16-2020, 09:43 AM

801 posts, read 311,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gender View Post
I found it also be very difficult to deal with sketchy people from all walks of life and have to take the risk of potentially invalid payments and bad checks... CarVana quoted me 12859 for my car. Do you think I can get even higher elsewhere?
I would check Autonation (if any dealerships in Vegas) and someone above mentioned another dealer to check. You also could throw it up on Craigslist for a couple days until your CarVana quote expires. I have done that before with Carmax. However, in my experience CarMax and CarVana pay pretty good. They pay GREAT lately as CarVana is desperate for inventory. Used car sales are up but they are sort of like Uber they are ok losing money as they build an industry. Plus they make money on selling warranties and stuff. I personally would take the CarVana quote and not think a moment more about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas