Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 02:03 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,588,152 times

Advertisements

Correct me if I am wrong but on average you don’t break even for roughly 7 yrs. That being the case, if you were planning on selling your home before that solar panels would be a detriment to home buyers not a benefit. Why, because unless you are willing to pay off the solar contract yourself, the new home buyer must qualify not only for the home loan but also the solar panel contract. Something to keep in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2020, 04:17 PM

246 posts, read 649,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
Gotcha. What do you mean when you say "roof top industry" and "they load the costs with profits and overheads that basically double the cost of roof top versus utility scale solar."? What is rooftop vs scale solar?

Problem for me is....I know I will pay $20-30 per month during some months and more in other months depending on how I setup my fans in the house. But a few solar panel companies have quoted me for a flat $80-90 per month fee. My goal is to support renewable energy but pay less on my bills. It's like comparing organic food vs regular food. I only pay maybe 2-10 bucks more on organic food depending on what I buy but $2-10 is a small price difference compared to $30-60.
If you are living in an apartment than solar doesn't make sense because your utilities are really low. If you have a 4 bedrm house with a family of 4 or 5 and paying upwards of $300+ monthly, than it would be worth it because as how Billy had showed you the numbers it can reduce your bills with the tax credit.

I just had mine installed and waiting for NV Energy to turn it on. I expect to pay about only $20 less per month than my current bill. My utilities are low around $50 at the low and $240 at the highest. I plan on installing swamp coolers which will greatly reduce my useage in the summer. With the 26% cash credit back and low useage in the summer, I will be feeding the grid more than I use, so I'll (hopefully) be getting cash back from NV Energy every month.

People don't consider how global warming will play a factor. Our 110 degree summer and high temps the past few months may be the norm, so our bills may go higher.

Also in 10 years most cars will be electic so that'll also help cut costs you pay for gas.

And lastly if you sell your home, your home value will be higher because your home already has solar.

Old 11-25-2020, 04:28 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_traveler1 View Post
If you are living in an apartment than solar doesn't make sense because your utilities are really low. If you have a 4 bedrm house with a family of 4 or 5 and paying upwards of $300+ monthly, than it would be worth it because as how Billy had showed you the numbers it can reduce your bills with the tax credit.

I just had mine installed and waiting for NV Energy to turn it on. I expect to pay about only $20 less per month than my current bill. My utilities are low around $50 at the low and $240 at the highest. I plan on installing swamp coolers which will greatly reduce my useage in the summer. With the 26% cash credit back and low useage in the summer, I will be feeding the grid more than I use, so I'll (hopefully) be getting cash back from NV Energy every month.

People don't consider how global warming will play a factor. Our 110 degree summer and high temps the past few months may be the norm, so our bills may go higher.

Also in 10 years most cars will be electic so that'll also help cut costs you pay for gas.

And lastly if you sell your home, your home value will be higher because your home already has solar.
I would still counsel waiting a few more years. Want to see how the industry breaks as the technology gets better and better.

The problem with jumping in now is that you now have a solar array either owned or leased. And the normal life is around 20 years. So what do you do if the deal is 25% better in two or three years? Or 50% in 5 years? I think it likely that costs will come down by 1/2 and we may see other distribution deals. I also expect the storage problem to yield in the next five years so fully integrated systems will be cost effective.

Old 11-25-2020, 07:03 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,641,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Depends on location and usage but we are currently doing both. We pay less per month (loan + utility bill) then we did with just our utility bill prior to solar.
Are you in Southern Nevada?

Old 11-25-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
But let it unfold for a couple of years. It is going to get better and better.
No doubt.

BTW, the same was said 10 years ago. And 20 years ago.

Old 11-25-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but on average you don’t break even for roughly 7 yrs. That being the case, if you were planning on selling your home before that solar panels would be a detriment to home buyers not a benefit. Why, because unless you are willing to pay off the solar contract yourself, the new home buyer must qualify not only for the home loan but also the solar panel contract. Something to keep in mind.
While opinions differ, in general I don't put as much weight on "break even analysis."
I prefer to make decisions based on looking at risk-adjusted ROI, risk-adjusted IRR, or even risk-adjusted NPV (APV).

Old 11-25-2020, 07:14 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
No doubt.

BTW, the same was said 10 years ago. And 20 years ago.
Of Course true...but the rate of improvement has vastly improved in recent years shocking even the proponents of solar.

My view is the tech is moving so fast right now one should let it unfold a couple more years.

This is opinion stuff so one can do as one wishes. But caution is in order. Fast moving tech provides lots of chances of being wrong.

Old 11-26-2020, 05:39 AM

261 posts, read 234,721 times
It does take in my case 7.5 years to break even all factors considered and that is with the 30% tax credit. After that, just $10.50 per month.

Old 11-26-2020, 09:33 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,614,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
While opinions differ, in general I don't put as much weight on "break even analysis."
I prefer to make decisions based on looking at risk-adjusted ROI, risk-adjusted IRR, or even risk-adjusted NPV (APV).
You are getting into stuff that is way over the average home owners head. In terms of ROI, I agree that I don't know that it is wise to pay for a system cash when one could put $30K in the market and likely come out further ahead with gains over 10-20 years. So we went with the loan purchase. You do need to be smart about finding the right loan though. The "solar loans" have very low rates in the 2-3% range but they tack on anywhere from $5,000 - $10,000 extra in "finance charges". For this reason we went with a home equity loan with a higher rate of 4.75% but no fees. We pay far more than the current minimum monthly payment so that we pay the loan off faster and pay less interest.

And no I am not in Nevada. I'm in California. As I said, Nevada may be different in terms of ROI and break even points compared to California.

Old 11-26-2020, 02:35 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
You are getting into stuff that is way over the average home owners head. In terms of ROI, I agree that I don't know that it is wise to pay for a system cash when one could put $30K in the market and likely come out further ahead with gains over 10-20 years. So we went with the loan purchase. You do need to be smart about finding the right loan though. The "solar loans" have very low rates in the 2-3% range but they tack on anywhere from $5,000 - $10,000 extra in "finance charges". For this reason we went with a home equity loan with a higher rate of 4.75% but no fees. We pay far more than the current minimum monthly payment so that we pay the loan off faster and pay less interest.

And no I am not in Nevada. I'm in California. As I said, Nevada may be different in terms of ROI and break even points compared to California.
If one bought 1000 shares of Tesla on 03 June 2019 for $35.79 / share ($35,790.00 total investment) then it would be worth $574,00.00 at today's price of $574.00 / share. The profit of $538,210.00 would pay a lot of electric bills, eh.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas