U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 09:07 PM

275 posts, read 105,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
If one bought 1000 shares of Tesla on 03 June 2019 for $35.79 / share ($35,790.00 total investment) then it would be worth $574,00.00 at today's price of $574.00 / share. The profit of $538,210.00 would pay a lot of electric bills, eh.
Well, a bit less once you pay the taxes on the capital gains for the sale. But yes,
no need to worry about a loan of 30K with an extra $500,000 in your pocket.
I do find the argument that someone would automatically take the $30K they
are considering spending on solar and invest it in the stock market a bit of a red
herring.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2020, 10:20 PM

5,563 posts, read 2,420,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariza160 View Post
I do find the argument that someone would automatically take the $30K they
are considering spending on solar and invest it in the stock market a bit of a red
herring.
Absolutely. Very few households have that kind of money laying around ready to invest. And many that do probably don’t even care about their monthly utility bill in terms of their overall expenses. We have around that much in cash currently but we are not comfortable putting it all in the market, let alone a single stock. It serves as an emergency fund to a degree as well as savings for more large home improvements and future vacations. Basically money we would like to tap in the next five years.

Old 11-26-2020, 11:39 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,547,684 times
I’m not going solar right now because as Old Captain says the technology of solar panels is constantly improving so it is better to wait. Besides, with NP’s time of use program I’m only paying about 6.5 cents a kilowatt.

Old 11-27-2020, 11:04 AM

5,563 posts, read 2,420,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post
I’m not going solar right now because as Old Captain says the technology of solar panels is constantly improving so it is better to wait. Besides, with NP’s time of use program I’m only paying about 6.5 cents a kilowatt.
At those low rates it will likely never make sense to go solar even 10 years from now when the technology improves.

The thing about waiting for technology to improve is that now you are pushing it off another 2,3,4,5 years and you are even less likely to stay in your house through the break even point if the average home buyer stays in their house for 7 years or whatever the average is.

If your breakeven is 10 years now but you want to wait till the technology and utility rates get the break even down to 7 years how long will you have to wait? If it's 5 years you are now having to stay in your house for 12 years from today to reach that break even point vs. 10 years from today if you bought tomorrow. Obviously these numbers are just hypotheticals and more research would need to be done to determine the actual numbers but something to consider when thinking to wait to buy till the technology gets better and cheaper.

Old 11-28-2020, 10:12 AM

8,523 posts, read 2,718,930 times
When I built my house (custom) I pre-wired for 18 kW of solar panels. I have 12 kW installed. I own them - didn't lease them. They are about 6 years old. I didn't view them as an investment but rather a consumption item & a hedge against potential future high energy prices. At the same time, I bought a large position of stock in Nevada Energy as a part of my hedge, which of course was acquired about 6 months later by Berkshire Hathaway for a tidy profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas