Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 03:09 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Isn't your scooter considered a motorized vehicle? The bike trails I've seen have signs prohibiting motorized vehicles.
I use this bike trail myself and you will see people with Ebikes that can go faster than 40mph. Pretty much there is no enforcement of the laws on the bike trail itself. I see people with ebikes that have cargo racks for those who choose to go to the grocery store. Only drawback of this trail is its pretty dark at night time so you have to use some good lights (bright led types)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2020, 09:26 PM

56 posts, read 63,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
I use this bike trail myself and you will see people with Ebikes that can go faster than 40mph. Pretty much there is no enforcement of the laws on the bike trail itself. I see people with ebikes that have cargo racks for those who choose to go to the grocery store. Only drawback of this trail is its pretty dark at night time so you have to use some good lights (bright led types)
Fantastic Info! I'll be using the Northbound 215 Bike Path to that Walmart Neighborhood Market and will be using the Southbound 215 should I need to visit the Walmart Super center in Apache!

I'll try to only go during day time to try to avoid the low visibility at night.

Any other tips and tricks of commuting via that western Beltway Bike Path? That'll be my lifeline for groceries, bread and butter.

Old 12-07-2020, 03:57 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gender View Post
Fantastic Info! I'll be using the Northbound 215 Bike Path to that Walmart Neighborhood Market and will be using the Southbound 215 should I need to visit the Walmart Super center in Apache!

I'll try to only go during day time to try to avoid the low visibility at night.

Any other tips and tricks of commuting via that western Beltway Bike Path? That'll be my lifeline for groceries, bread and butter.

Have you used it with your scooter before. If you go between Cheyenne and Lake Mead the incline is very steep so you need to make sure you got a lot of charge on your battery when your going in this area. Otherwise this would be the steepest out of all the sections of this trail.

Old 12-07-2020, 10:22 PM

56 posts, read 63,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
Have you used it with your scooter before. If you go between Cheyenne and Lake Mead the incline is very steep so you need to make sure you got a lot of charge on your battery when your going in this area. Otherwise this would be the steepest out of all the sections of this trail.
I'm still waiting on the scooter to arrive. It takes about a whole month for it to get here from AliExpress. And yes if I want to get to that Walmart Neighborhood Market, I MUST go through Cheyenne and Lake Mead. I'll test it out and definitely charge that battery in full before I embark on such a treacherous journey.

Old 01-23-2021, 09:05 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,942,727 times
Quote:
Fantastic Info! It's not only me that is shocked at Albertson's prices. I would say Albertson's are dramatically more expensive than Walmart, Meijer in Ohio and a bit more expensive than Krogers and Giant Eagles in Ohio. It would be similar to the prices at Whole Foods or Trader Joes.
Yes, Walmart works hard daily to offer the lowest price on groceries with absolute minimum advertising needed. Fresh whole French bread roll is always $1.00, never more or less. Rotisserie chicken for $4.50 too. Second cheapest without membership would be WinCo Foods, but it's located at northwestern Vegas area. There is no Aldi store in Vegas yet, if I'm correct.

Old 01-24-2021, 01:59 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Will Smith's be cheaper than Albertsons?

Any other stores in the Western Summerlin/Southern Summerlin area that is cheaper than Smith's? I do notice there is a Walmart Neighborhood Market in the northeast near 89149, is Walmart Neighborhood Market usually cheaper than Smith's?

Any other cheap, value grocery stores like Aldi or Marc's in Ohio?

I cannot speak specifically for the Las Vegas market. However, this has been my experience in Phoenix and Tucson.

1) Winco Foods - their store brands are the least expensive option, often cheaper than ALDI or Walmart. They are decent quality. On the national brands, you would do better at a Walmart. Cheap and excellent bulk foods section

2) Walmart - In general, they are a good low cost option. I do not do their meats which are less competitive than other options. I do not buy fish product due to major quality concerns. The Great Value brand is very inconsistent - safe on canned goods, not so good in fresh products.

3) Kroger (Smith) - Their prices are alright and their specials are great values. The store brands are some of the best private labels. Their meat products are decent but you have to look at the trim.

4) Albertson/Safeway - After shopping at these store for the last 20 years, I avoid at all costs. They are the most expensive of the major chains and generally among the weakest. I have not seen a lot of good stores; in fact, the Dominick's chain they shuttered in the Chicago area are the best stores that the chain had.

5) Sprouts is expensive although their quality is excellent. You can get some decent deals if you stick with the sale sheet. They have a good bulk section but plan to spend 60-200% more than you would at Winco.

I won't discuss ALDI as they are not in Nevada at this time. However, the ALDI prices in Ohio (Cincinnati/Dayton/Mansfield) and Chicago are SUBSTANTIALLY LOWER than the prices in SoCal (El Centro) to the tune of 15%.

Do realize that there are a lot of ethnic markets in Las Vegas which offer some great deals. Seafood City and 99 Ranch on Maryland Parkway come to mind. Also, there are several Asian markets on Spring Mountain that offer some good deals. International Market on Tropicana and Decatur also can offer some good value.

My experience is that food prices in Nevada and Arizona run a MINIMUM of 10% higher than you will find in the Midwest and 20% higher in California.

===============================

Do realize that it is now very simple to compare prices. Take your recent receipts and compare them to the posted prices at the various websites of groceries offering pickup.

OP - do realize that in many markets, Walmart and Kroger affiliates are offering discounted delivery options on their website. Beware of the third party sites that mark up the prices of the groceries and then charge you a delivery fee,

Old 01-24-2021, 08:31 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Any other cheap, value grocery stores like Aldi or Marc's in Ohio?

In my prior post, I forgot an obvious choice.

The closest thing to Marc's in the Cleveland area is 99 Only. I would say that the 99 Only is more like the Marc's of the 1990s than Marc's of 2021 which has gradually morphed into a mainline grocery store with just a few close-outs.

99 Only is no longer a dollar store as at least 30% of the goods have prices exceeding $1. However, it offers a great deal of produce at very reasonable prices. It also offers some deals on canned and packaged goods. You do have to watch out for goods produced in China but you see that more in the traditional dollar stores.

99 Only offers some great deals but is a real crap shoot. Their prices on milk and eggs are generally higher than Safeway/Albertsons. Unlike Marc's, their selection of grocery items is much less.

https://99only.com/home

Old 01-26-2021, 03:12 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
Quote:

is the bike path new? I don't remember one.

Old 01-27-2021, 09:04 AM

1,929 posts, read 817,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
is the bike path new? I don't remember one.
The trail is a paved bike /walking path that parallels the 215. Follow this link.

https://www.traillink.com/trail/i-21...beltway-trail/

Old 01-27-2021, 09:20 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,580,255 times
The OP hasn't posted since 12/20, after a bunch of posts. I wonder how things turned out for him and if he is still in the Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: