Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2020, 12:54 AM

12 posts, read 10,812 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Here's my situation: I moved into an apartment, signed a 1-year lease, and paid all the necessary fees (including a security deposit).

After a few months of having lived there, I ran into many issues with the unit. I spoke to the manager over the phone and she agreed to transfer us (my roommate and I) to a new unit. We schedule a day for when I pick up the keys to the new unit.

I show up on that day and oddly they just hand me the keys to the new unit. They did not discuss, let alone have me sign any kind of documents. They simply handed me the keys and told me to please hand over the keys to the old unit in a week.

So we moved everything to the new unit and turned in the old keys. Again, nothing was signed when I turned in the keys. They never even asked us to given them notice that we are vacating the old unit.

I'm wondering what the law says regarding our security deposit in our situation. Are they still required to return it in 30 days (minus damages)? Because not a single thing was signed, is our old lease technically still in effect? Can they demand that we pay a new security deposit even though we have now moved in and started paying rent on the new unit?

It's just so confusing because it really was just them handing over the keys and telling us we have a week to move everything to the new one.

Thanks for any information/advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2020, 03:02 AM

946 posts, read 781,134 times
Normally the lease has the apartment number on it.

If it were me, I'd ask for a new lease or at least a correction to the current lease, so the new apartment number is correct. You should ALWAYS have a walkthrough BEFORE moving into a unit to record anything that's wrong. At my last apartment, I had to demand that. The resident manager said that nobody has asked for it previously, which seems really odd. It's a good thing I did because a new manager took over before I left. The kitchen cabinets had some damage from a prior tenant that I noted. The new manager said she would have charged me for new cabinets had there not been a signed statement in my file noting that damage was present before I moved in.

Old 12-31-2020, 03:08 AM

1,731 posts, read 1,055,267 times
This is all on the management. They made it easy peasy to just act as if you started in the current unit. Had there been a problem in the old unit they would contact you to tell you that they were deducting for the damage and that you would have to make up that shortage in the deposit for the new unit.
If there are problems when you leave the current unit all the documentation problems will be on them. don't worry about it.

Old 12-31-2020, 10:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,244 posts, read 80,480,482 times
They should do an amendment to the lease, to be signed by both parties, and in fact may be waiting until you have moved out to see if the deposit will be transferred or used for damage. If you don't hear anything and your lease shows the old apartment number, I would ask for an amendment or at least written letter changing the unit, because technically you have no lease for where you are living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas