U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 02:12 PM

23,315 posts, read 42,728,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Silicon Valley is where is where it is because of Stanford University. AFAIK Stanford was never free (or never even cheap.)
Thanks for that info. Stanford is one of our nation's premier universities; named after Leland Stanford, a railroad baron who helped build the first transcontinental railroad that tied the nation together in 1869.

Back in the early 1980s one of my Army projects was to oversee the development of software that could take a huge list of Army equipment, a list of various types of airplanes, and figure how to load each aircraft so that it flew safely and didn't waste any cargo capacity. People at Stanford Research Institute developed that system which was so good the USAF threw away their system and adopted the Army system. Those folks really nailed it. The Army later went back to them to do the same for loading ships which is a much trickier thing to do as you're working 7 or 8 decks of a ship while the airplane has only one deck. Load a ship too heavy on one side and you can roll it over while sitting right at the pier. They did the job and that system is still in use as the Army plans to deploy forces.

If we invest in the education of our people it will pay us great dividends. I've seen it.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2021, 06:53 PM

197 posts, read 323,566 times
There is literally nothing good on the market between 500 and 900k in Las Vegas right now. The little that is for sale is old, run down, and (not or) located in less than desirable areas. I’ve never seen anything like this in the 20 years I’ve been following real estate here.

Old 01-21-2021, 07:18 PM

905 posts, read 378,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKLAS View Post
There is literally nothing good on the market between 500 and 900k in Las Vegas right now. The little that is for sale is old, run down, and (not or) located in less than desirable areas. I’ve never seen anything like this in the 20 years I’ve been following real estate here.
You aren't that far off. We were looking a lot in areas like Red Rock Country Club, for example, and the ones in the $700-900k range are original 20 year old in bad need of total re-do. The re-done ones are $1.2m+. There are some new communities with nice looking homes in the $800ks' but maybe a bad lot in the community backing to the busy street.

Old 01-21-2021, 07:33 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,409,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Thanks for that info. Stanford is one of our nation's premier universities; named after Leland Stanford, a railroad baron who helped build the first transcontinental railroad that tied the nation together in 1869.
So close. The full name of Stanford University is The Leland Stanford Jr. University, as it is named after the son who died at age 15. Leland Sr. was more than a railroad man, he was also Governor of California and a US Senator.

Old 01-21-2021, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
For the government to charge interest on student loans to US Citizens who wish to advance and become better-contributing members of society is in itself egregious!

If nothing else, they could at least cancel interest. We are the only so-called First World nation that financially cripples its citizens for wanting to get ahead and do better. That's shameful.
Those who borrow foolishly suffer in every country, first world or not.

Old 01-21-2021, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I In the day, in California, if you established a year's residency, university education was free.
Nope. Never.

Old 01-21-2021, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
Las Vegas attracts a very different type of Californian than Reno/Tahoe does.
Doctors, lawyers, business owners and professional athletes in my Las Vegas neighborhood. I'm OK with that.

Old 01-21-2021, 08:44 PM

220 posts, read 97,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
You aren't that far off. We were looking a lot in areas like Red Rock Country Club, for example, and the ones in the $700-900k range are original 20 year old in bad need of total re-do. The re-done ones are $1.2m+. There are some new communities with nice looking homes in the $800ks' but maybe a bad lot in the community backing to the busy street.
There’s a real strong demand for houses in the 750k - 1.5mil range right now. There’s just not much inventory in that price point. Can’t speak to quality as I’m not house hunting, but based on what I saw a few years ago - anything that is renovated is gone immediately. The idea of taking on a renovation here seems like a huge headache. I had a heck of a time finding competent people to do the minor things we needed done for our new build. I’m glad we did not go for a house that needed a renovation.

You might find some luck with the new communities up in western Summerlin. I’m sure there are some decent lots left up there.

Old 01-22-2021, 01:20 PM

228 posts, read 147,782 times
Some new houses, and a few with 1/2 acre lots are being built in the SW, look off of Durango and Windmill. Some with RV garages, if any are left and most are not even built yet!

Old 01-22-2021, 06:01 PM

1,271 posts, read 1,073,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpi View Post
Some new houses, and a few with 1/2 acre lots are being built in the SW, look off of Durango and Windmill. Some with RV garages, if any are left and most are not even built yet!
Which builder is this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas