Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2008, 07:00 PM

572 posts, read 1,684,292 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone -

Well, I'm still here in Vegas. Granted, haven't been able to do much the past two-three days. Yeah, apparently my "Vegas throat" turned into full-blown allergies, which turned into a sinus infection . Fun, right?

Anyway, not looking for pity (and I am finally feeling better today!), but I actually wanted to pass on this information, for those visiting or new to the city. I stumbled across a Minute Clinic (right near my apartment, but there are a few across the valley).

MinuteClinic Locations in Nevada (NV)

Pretty decent set-up. You basically get examined by a PA (which doesn't matter to me, although understandable some might want an MD), checked out, and (if needed) given perscirptions to treat what is ailing you. They accept most insurance (even mine, which is based in NY), and if you prefer to pay out-of-pocket (or are uninsured), most exams are less than 100 bucks. Apparently they have these all over the country (I must be living under a rock). I've heard horror stories about doctors officecenters and places of the like; this was definitely nothing like that (and I'm sure a good alternative to sitting in an ER).

Anyways, like I said, thought someone might find it interesting, or worth keeping in mind when visiting.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 07:15 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,195 times
I've never been to one, but I'd imagine that they're much better than UMC.

I'm also curious to know if anyone's used the medical centers inside Walgreens? I just saw an ad the other day.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:25 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,945,533 times
Every time I visit there I seem to get "Vegas throat". I thought that was just a joke.

I hope you feel better!

Old 03-20-2008, 09:34 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,473,542 times
Jeez, I knew you must have been coming down with something on Sunday Davey...

Glad you found this place and got some help. It really is nasty to get on a plane for 5 1/2 hours and feel sick!

My sis told me on the way back to NY, all she heard on the plane was people coughing and sneezing...

Feel better my love!

Big hug to you!

Old 03-21-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
Jeez, I knew you must have been coming down with something on Sunday Davey...

Glad you found this place and got some help. It really is nasty to get on a plane for 5 1/2 hours and feel sick!

My sis told me on the way back to NY, all she heard on the plane was people coughing and sneezing...

Feel better my love!

Big hug to you!

Yeah, I usually wait it out, or try to deal with OTC meds.. but after 3 days, I was like "enough". Besides, I didn't wanna have to deal with it on the flight back, indeed.

Thanks MomMom, I'm definitely feeling better... whoohoo!

*hugs*

Old 03-23-2008, 07:11 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
We just went to the Minute Clinic in a CVS here in GA yesterday. My wife started feeling something coming on, and rather than waiting for it to get worse by waiting to go to her primary doctor on Monday, we stopped in at the Minute Clinic. We were in and out in around 30 minutes, including around 10 minutes giving them a full medical history (which will now be in the system if we use them again), paid our standard insurance copay, and had a prescription for Z-max to knock the cold out of her. Well worth it IMO.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:34 AM

309 posts, read 900,556 times
Default Vegas throats

Everybody is hacking and coughing around Memphis, TN too. That can't be Vegas Throat.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:44 PM

28 posts, read 115,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
I've never been to one, but I'd imagine that they're much better than UMC.

I'm also curious to know if anyone's used the medical centers inside Walgreens? I just saw an ad the other day.

I was visiting my son in Henderson when I had the need to see a doctor; I went to the UMC on Sunset and had excellent care. I had a bit of a wait, but not nearly as long as I have waited in an ER.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:58 PM

46 posts, read 194,396 times
Sorry, but I wouldn't take my dog to a UMC clinic. The hospital is great, but the clinics are the worst medical care around. They treat everyone like they are only there for drugs and I don't mean antibiotics.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:24 PM

Default quick update on this

got a letter in the mail from my insurance company last week. Apparently my insurance at the time (Aetna HMO) will not cover this type of medical visit.

Although minute clinics are afflilated with most HMO's, they are NOT considered "urgent care facilities". Basically meaning, if you have a health plan that requires referrals, you need a referral from your PCP to go to one of these clinics. Of course if your plan does not require referrals (as my new one is), you should be ok.

So basically, if I went to UMC or the hospital ER, it would've been covered, but because I went here, it's not.

It's not a big deal, because the amount i'm being billed is totally miniscule, but I thought I would just let anyone know, if they were curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas