U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 10:30 AM

326 posts, read 162,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
Two of my friends over 70 got the first dose a week or so ago. I'm 67 and would like to get it asap but I doubt it would change my habits, I'm too paranoid of getting it. I don't go out for much but groceries and sometimes take out food. That makes me nervous, but I can't eat my own cooking every night.

With the new variants showing up, looks like I'll start wearing two masks to go anywhere.

I'm lucky, I have a "work from home" job, but I'm tired of working so much and not doing anything else. I moved to Vegas for the weather, entertainment and restaurants. At least the weather hasn't disappointed me. I came from Chicago where there was even more to do, but the weather sucked. Now you can't do anything there either and the weather still sucks, lol.
Why put work from home in quotes? It's not a new thing It's been a thing for years. Problem is people have been looking down on it because most of society views work from home jobs as unstable, insecure, and "fake". The pandemic has forced people to change their mindset.

Yep, that's the scary part. The virus is evolving and changing and medical professionals are now saying the new variants are even more contagious. I read that the protein spike that the vaccine is designed to target has the ability to change shape and evade antibodies that are trying to bind with it. I am hoping the vaccine developers are keeping this in mind and can make the immune system create antibodies that can adapt to protein spikes of different shapes.

My manager in my job was saying she knew someone in their 70s who had an appointment but could not get the vaccine because there was a shortage.... So 2 challenges: getting an appointment and getting the actual vaccine.

Unfortunately, we're gonna be stuck in this version of normal for a long while. I miss doing things outside but it is what it is. I'd rather feel healthy than feel sick. For the first time in our lives, the things we took for granted we are now appreciating.
Rate this post positively

Old 02-03-2021, 12:00 PM

14,200 posts, read 27,282,146 times
My age qualified friends in AZ have been getting their shots. One of my BFs there stayed up all night until she hit the website when there were appointments available. She is now waiting for her 2nd shot. I do think AZ get a lot more vaccine than we do. The RJ has said that issue is being addressed but I don't see much progress here. Friends in CA seem to be getting theirs too.

On the state site it says Smith's, CVS, and Walgreens are going to start giving shots. I checked with all 3 and they are ready and waiting but they can't get any vaccine.

Old 02-03-2021, 06:30 PM

6,964 posts, read 7,213,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
I’m a bit older than you..but you mentioned video games. I bought the Oculus Quest 2 VR setup and I’m amazed (I’m from the Atari era). Never in a million years did I think I’d be killing zombies on a daily basis.
Haha that’s awesome that sounds fun! I want to play my PSVR again but I’m waiting for the adapter so it works with PS5. I’ve been playing way too much Cyberpunk 2077, despite the bugs, it’s just a massive open world and I know I’ve been gaming for 30 years but it still absolutely blows my mind they can develop an entire city with all of this detail that takes forever to explore and looks so good. I didn’t grow up with Atari but I did with NES and the original SEGA Genesis so I still remember very simple 8 bit games and even play them (I have a MAME arcade machine, so it can emulate more than 10,000 old games I have on there). Gaming is also the only real way I get some friend time at present because my best friend is in OR. We game pretty regularly and it’s fun just chatting on headset really.

Oh meant to say, yeah I do have a face shield so I do wear that the few times I’ve gone out, but it’s hard to enjoy much with that thing. It isn’t very clear and doesn’t seem to clean off that well. I’ve gone to a few restaurants here and there but only maybe 4 times? It’s the air travel thing that’s a bummer because I haven’t seen my dad or best friend in a year plus. But hopefully later this year maybe that improves, I don’t hold out much hope, I guess. Planning to drive in May though, make it a 2 week sort of trip. Weather will be nice so driving is easier.

We have been strictly work at home since our company founding in 2008. It was just me until 2009 but we didn’t want to spend money for an office and then gradually we grew into a nationwide company so it didn’t make any sense - most of our clients are elsewhere. Then I also moved away from where I founded the company so there also became no incentive to have an office really.

Old 02-07-2021, 05:51 PM

9,335 posts, read 3,093,028 times
With Covid-19 Vaccine Waiting Lists in the Millions, Some Skip the Line
Across the U.S., people are flouting eligibility rules and using connections to get a coveted shot

https://www.wsj.com/articles/with-co...ne-11612607401 <== possibly behind a paywall.

-- or --

https://archive.vn/7rbyz <== the same article, but not behind a paywall

Quote:
Board members of a Rhode Island medical system were invited to get vaccinated, regardless of their age or occupations. Judges and their staff received vaccines ahead of schedule at a Nevada medical center. And a SoulCycle fitness instructor in New York got a shot after saying she was an educator.

While millions of Americans await their turn during the Covid-19 vaccine rollout, some people are securing the coveted injections before they are eligible by tapping connections or circumventing their states’ rules. Government officials have criticized the line-cutters, prosecutors in at least two states have launched reviews and some hospitals have had their vaccine allotments curtailed by health authorities as punishment for questionable vaccination practices.

Each state—and even some local jurisdictions—have set up different rules for who gets vaccinated first and where they are distributed. In addition to vaccine supply shortages, the lack of a centralized registration system in many areas has set off a scramble for doses.
Click the above link(s) to read the rest of the article.

Old 02-10-2021, 06:43 PM

12,680 posts, read 25,206,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Haha that’s awesome that sounds fun! I want to play my PSVR again but I’m waiting for the adapter so it works with PS5. I’ve been playing way too much Cyberpunk 2077, despite the bugs, it’s just a massive open world and I know I’ve been gaming for 30 years but it still absolutely blows my mind they can develop an entire city with all of this detail that takes forever to explore and looks so good. I didn’t grow up with Atari but I did with NES and the original SEGA Genesis so I still remember very simple 8 bit games and even play them (I have a MAME arcade machine, so it can emulate more than 10,000 old games I have on there). Gaming is also the only real way I get some friend time at present because my best friend is in OR. We game pretty regularly and it’s fun just chatting on headset really.

Oh meant to say, yeah I do have a face shield so I do wear that the few times I’ve gone out, but it’s hard to enjoy much with that thing. It isn’t very clear and doesn’t seem to clean off that well. I’ve gone to a few restaurants here and there but only maybe 4 times? It’s the air travel thing that’s a bummer because I haven’t seen my dad or best friend in a year plus. But hopefully later this year maybe that improves, I don’t hold out much hope, I guess. Planning to drive in May though, make it a 2 week sort of trip. Weather will be nice so driving is easier.

We have been strictly work at home since our company founding in 2008. It was just me until 2009 but we didn’t want to spend money for an office and then gradually we grew into a nationwide company so it didn’t make any sense - most of our clients are elsewhere. Then I also moved away from where I founded the company so there also became no incentive to have an office really.
I don't have a pc yet that can handle it, but you can psvr to the Oculus headset... apparently its amazing.. (wayyyyyyyyy out of my league)... but on the Oculus, I "drove" from the east coast to the west coast.. it was amazing.. If I was still in Vegas, I'd take you on playing pac-man. Thats what I grew up on...Met my first girlfriend at the roller rink in front of a pac-man machine.... I knew the paths so scoring high was easy. For 299, the oculus is worth every penny.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:50 PM

11,594 posts, read 8,380,444 times
FYI, this so called "vaccine" doesn't fall under the definition of vaccine by the way it operates. Look it up.
It is experimental and was rushed for public use and thus is a violation of the Nuremburg treaty.

I would NOT rush to get it if at all.

Last edited by WildWestDude; 02-11-2021 at 09:00 PM..

Old 02-12-2021, 07:54 AM

11,594 posts, read 8,380,444 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKN1M74qcYE

Old 02-12-2021, 08:49 AM

3,170 posts, read 1,392,608 times
WW Dude, mra technology has been around at least 10 years which is why the vaccine could be made so quickly. So grateful that I got my first dose this week. A friend of mine died from Covid.

Old 02-12-2021, 10:31 AM

23,301 posts, read 42,680,900 times
Let's get back on topic of getting a COVID vaccine in Clark County.

Discussions of whether or not it really really really really really is a "true" vaccine belong in one of the threads in Current Events or Health.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-12-2021, 03:53 PM

326 posts, read 162,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Let's get back on topic of getting a COVID vaccine in Clark County.

Discussions of whether or not it really really really really really is a "true" vaccine belong in one of the threads in Current Events or Health.

Agreed. So many conspiracy theories and hearsays floating around. Not sure why people are having trouble getting a shot. My wife is a teacher and will get clearance before getting hers. She needs an allergy test done because she has allergies. Some of her teacher friends have already gotten vaccinated. I probably won't get mine until I dunno how many months. They're still working on the 70+ group. On a positive note, new covid cases per day are dropping
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas