U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 10:17 AM

57 posts, read 72,174 times

Advertisements

Aloha, I am an out of state condo owner with a 2nd floor unit. My HVAC (2 ton heat pump split) is from the 90's and the fan motor went out. Compressor works, but sounds like there's rocks tumbling around in it. Estimate to replace the fan motor, capacitor, and compressor is 3k. Cost to replace with a Trane 2.5 ton 14 seer is 7k. Got a second opinion and that repair estimate is 3.3k to repair and 10k to replace with a 2.5 ton American Standard 14 seer. From what I understand Trane and AS is the same company. Since it's 14 seer, no NV Energy rebate. Are these reasonable prices to pay for a replacement system? Seems extremely high to me but again, I'm not experienced in this situation. Any constructive advice/recommendations is appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2021, 10:51 AM

2,035 posts, read 3,643,530 times
I would say the 7.5k is in spec. Trane is usually a pricier product than AS so that is strange. There is a fair amount of labor involved with replacing a split system particular in older homes (pre early 200s) where they often don't have great access to the attic air handler.

Split systems are significantly more complex to install vs a packaged rooftop unit so you don't want to have rink dink install done.

What's the warranty on those? I've found the length and type of warranty (manufacturer vs installer supplied, parts only, parts + labor, etc.) can vary the price quite a bit as well.

Old 03-12-2021, 10:57 AM

23,570 posts, read 43,456,959 times
First, being that the system has been working since the 1990s you can smile knowing that you got your money's worth out of it.

Second, I'd prefer a new system over fixing an old.

We spent about $15k to replace the two systems (a 5 ton and a 2.5 ton) on our 2600 sq ft home here in the Phoenix, AZ area. End result was a price of about $8.5k for the 5 ton and $6.5k for the 2.5 ton. Pricing included a full day of work by four men, two up in the attic and two down on the ground. They hauled away all the old stuff to recycling, and also installed two new Trane XL824 thermostats.

New units are by Trane, rated 16.0 SEER and 14.0 EER.

Trane Warranty: 10 year limited warranty on compressor, coils and internal functional parts; 20 year limited warranty on heat exchanger.

My electricity bills went down just over a third from whatever was put in this house when built in 2004.

FYI: We also added a Reme-Halo air cleaner on the one system for another $1k. The thermostat allows for a slow speed fan motion to come on 15 minutes per hour just to move air through the cleaner; you can't hear it running at that speed but we can smell the clean air, a sort of ozone smell.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-12-2021, 11:17 AM

995 posts, read 459,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
First, being that the system has been working since the 1990s you can smile knowing that you got your money's worth out of it.

Second, I'd prefer a new system over fixing an old.

We spent about $15k to replace the two systems (a 5 ton and a 2.5 ton) on our 2600 sq ft home here in the Phoenix, AZ area. End result was a price of about $8.5k for the 5 ton and $6.5k for the 2.5 ton. Pricing included a full day of work by four men, two up in the attic and two down on the ground. They hauled away all the old stuff to recycling, and also installed two new Trane XL824 thermostats.

New units are by Trane, rated 16.0 SEER and 14.0 EER.

Trane Warranty: 10 year limited warranty on compressor, coils and internal functional parts; 20 year limited warranty on heat exchanger.

My electricity bills went down just over a third from whatever was put in this house when built in 2004.

FYI: We also added a Reme-Halo air cleaner on the one system for another $1k. The thermostat allows for a slow speed fan motion to come on 15 minutes per hour just to move air through the cleaner; you can't hear it running at that speed but we can smell the clean air, a sort of ozone smell.

That air cleaner sounds good! We'll be in the market soon so I will ask about that.

Old 03-12-2021, 01:12 PM

17,740 posts, read 7,808,775 times
We deal with two 35 year old carrier systems. We maintain a deluxe home warranty that will pay to replace them on failure. The home warranty won't actually pay the whole bill but most of it including some expensive items like the crane rental.

The bad news is that home warranty costs almost 100 a month...so we have lost a bundle over the last 15 years. I think we broke even only one year when we lost a whole mess of stuff in a couple of months.

I too would go for a new unit rather than try to repair either of these old units. May be an interesting discussion depending on what fails.

Old 03-13-2021, 12:42 AM

2,880 posts, read 2,274,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
What's the maintenance on that thing?

Haven't heard of those before but I'll probably get one installed too with a new system. Anything to improve recirculated air quality.

Old 03-13-2021, 10:20 AM

23,570 posts, read 43,456,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
What's the maintenance on that thing?

Haven't heard of those before but I'll probably get one installed too with a new system. Anything to improve recirculated air quality.
Only maintenance is to replace the "bulb" every two years, not sure what that will cost. Amazon has them for just over $200 and there are YouTube videos for how to replace them. I won't climb up into the attic so I'll let our service provider do that for me.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-13-2021, 10:45 AM

840 posts, read 491,649 times
Not trying to hijack, but just to add some perspective. I have a Carrier, 17000 BTU, 17.6 SEER minisplit in my Bangkok condo. It is flawless, and has paid for itself in two years. Was 610 USD, including installation.

Old 03-13-2021, 06:07 PM

579 posts, read 564,527 times
I have never replaced HVAC before, but the AC units are 13 years old so it might be time. So do I just let HVAC do everything or can I buy the AC units myself and then have HVAC install it? Wha'ts the best way?

I need to find out how many tons each of the AC are right? Then go from there? I have 1 unit for each floor, house is 3700 sq ft, could cost me 8k to 12k I suppose?

Old 03-13-2021, 07:08 PM

840 posts, read 491,649 times
There are dealers that ship nationwide. My furnace in my Wyoming house is 40 yo+, found a new 40k btu, variable sped fan for under 700...nat gas. I would expect estimates from the pirates at 2000+. Small house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas