U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 11:03 AM

6,431 posts, read 3,615,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
What I know from two actual experiences when I've used the change of address function was all of our magazines and business partners (with only a few exceptions for tiny outfits) started using the new addresses without me having to notify each of them separately. My understanding has always been that the USPS sends out a weekly data file to all entities who need the change data so they may apply the revised address data to their files. The USPS has street address data for just about everyone in the nation and would be a great data source for cross checking voter registrations.
That happens only when the sender asks for "electronic service requested." All mail is scanned and if there is a change of address, it is noted and a little yellow sticker with the new address is applied with a note "to advise sender of new address." If the sender has requested that it be notified, the USPS will. Of all my mail today, only one asked for that service - TruGreen.

Your credit cards, banks, financial institutions will not ask for that as they expect you to make the change with them.

Unless the local polling office sends out mail to you with the service requested, the USPS won't notify them of a change. The post office has a database of addresses, not persons.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2021, 11:07 AM

5,663 posts, read 9,978,900 times
If you are a resident of Nevada and didn't get a ballot, don't you think you might have made a tiny bit of effort to vote anyways? Is the insinuation that 34,000 Trump voters wanted to vote for him but just didn't know how to do so? Or did they think somehow the "system/swamp/whatever" basically figured they didn't get the right to vote?

Old 03-21-2021, 01:44 PM

4,412 posts, read 9,444,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
If you are a resident of Nevada and didn't get a ballot, don't you think you might have made a tiny bit of effort to vote anyways? Is the insinuation that 34,000 Trump voters wanted to vote for him but just didn't know how to do so? Or did they think somehow the "system/swamp/whatever" basically figured they didn't get the right to vote?
I think the allegation is that those that move away don’t notify Nevada. Yet the mailings go out anyway. Keep in mind, the undeliverable ballots are only those that the current resident returns. If the resident doesn’t return, they aren’t counted as undeliverable. In my case in LA we received 5 extra ballots including people who hadn’t lived here in five years. We trashed them.

I don’t know what the percentages in Nevada were but the returns in California were preposterous, bordering on statistically improbable. I believe OC had about 90% of registered voters voting and LA had over 80%, which is again preposterous based on their normal voter turnout.

Mailing ballots to all registered voters is rediculous. There’s literally nothing wrong with:

1.) Purging the voter rolls every six years or so of those who haven’t actively voted.

2.) Purging the voter rolls of those whose vehicle registration has lapsed a certain number of years.

3.) Requiring state issued ID at the polls. (The “studies” showing this is some sort of major hinderance are defective on face value....you need an ID to register).

4.) Absentee ballots should be allowed and require the voter to request them and return them postmarked by Election Day.

None of the above is onerous, nor difficult, and ought to remain the standard. Pretty sure most Dems...at least those that don’t use late night talk shows as their only source of news...agree.

Old 03-21-2021, 06:48 PM

2,184 posts, read 1,376,382 times
Quote:
I think the allegation is that those that move away don’t notify Nevada. Yet the mailings go out anyway. Keep in mind, the undeliverable ballots are only those that the current resident returns. If the resident doesn’t return, they aren’t counted as undeliverable. In my case in LA we received 5 extra ballots including people who hadn’t lived here in five years. We trashed them.
This is a good point. There are pictures of apartment buildings in Las Vegas where dozens of ballots lie discarded on the ground below the mailboxes. We will never know the true number of undeliverable ballots nor will we ever know what ultimately happened to the undeliverable ballots that were not returned.

Old 03-21-2021, 08:54 PM

339 posts, read 480,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post

I don’t know what the percentages in Nevada were but the returns in California were preposterous, bordering on statistically improbable. I believe OC had about 90% of registered voters voting and LA had over 80%, which is again preposterous based on their normal voter turnout.

Mailing ballots to all registered voters is rediculous. There’s literally nothing wrong with:

1.) Purging the voter rolls every six years or so of those who haven’t actively voted.

2.) Purging the voter rolls of those whose vehicle registration has lapsed a certain number of years.

3.) Requiring state issued ID at the polls. (The “studies” showing this is some sort of major hinderance are defective on face value....you need an ID to register).

4.) Absentee ballots should be allowed and require the voter to request them and return them postmarked by Election Day.

None of the above is onerous, nor difficult, and ought to remain the standard. Pretty sure most Dems...at least those that don’t use late night talk shows as their only source of news...agree.
Mailing ballots to all registered voters is not a bad way to do things. In the state of WA and maybe even oregon, they only do mail in ballots for the past few decades. Why? It allows for all voters to vote in the comfort of their homes and mail in their ballots/use drop off locations. They have a higher rate of participation in voter turn out than many other states.

Purging voter rolls is not a problem if they aren't active but the PROBLEM IS the history of how purges worked. They were used by whites to purge the black vote in the past to limit the minority vote. Thus it's got a bad wrap. If you purge voter rolls, then you give ppl the chance to purge opposite party voters and such, then you get more of a messy situation than gerrymandering.

Mandating all voters of age who register their Driver License with the voting system would help this. When I moved here from another state, they took my old ID and gave me a new one. Now when I registered, they had info on where I last lived and they could on the back end send a notice to former state that I am no longer there. 2 for 1. I register here with DMV and voting, they notify past state I left along with my cars. They do this with car plates, they can do this with voting.

Requiring voter ID sounds easy but most ppl in poor neighborhoods take bus, ect and do not have a car or drivers license. They also live far away from DMV so they don't bother to get a license. Same with New Yorker types who live in the city. Also Milennials are not getting the DL as often as GenX/Boomers were so that's also a problem but since some aren't poor, they'll bother to get a uber to dmv and get an ID card.
Make State issued IDs (not drivers license) free if you are under the federal poverty level and I will be fine with requiring state ID at all the voting places. We can start a movement to get volunteers to drive the kids to the DMV once driving a stranger in your car is safe again.

Agree with Absentee ballots but they should also have drop off boxes like they do in WA at lib/postoffice/firestation/citybuildings/. It's cheaper to buy a big metal drop box than to hire many to work elections.

ADDING: Alternatively, we should allow all voters in the country to vote anywhere in their voting district/county without a polling location. Also, we should dip voters fingers in color dye like they do in other parts of the world. You can't vote twice in 2 polling locations with a purple dye on your index finger without being caught. cheap election integrity solution that is analog, only one digital. LOL
Don't ask me about early voting as that would ********** solution up.

Old 03-22-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Purging voter rolls is not a problem if they aren't active but the PROBLEM IS the history of how purges worked. They were used by whites to purge the black vote in the past to limit the minority vote.
When has that ever happened. Please post a link to a reference.

Old 03-22-2021, 11:56 AM

17,213 posts, read 7,226,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Here is a good discussion of voter suppression...

https://www.acluofnorthcarolina.org/...ppression-2020

Old 03-22-2021, 03:09 PM

7 posts, read 4,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
No, but it does illustrate how messy this was, when the decision is made to mass mail ballots without any mechanism in place to keep voter rolls up to date. It amazes me to think that it’s somehow so difficult to keep voter rolls up to date (I moved away from CA about 15 years ago, but I’m still on the rolls in LA County!), but any mention of cleaning them up is right away met with screaming and crying about “disenfranchisement.”

And HR1, which would lead to this to happening in all states, is a disaster even though it has a cutesy name that sounds good in theory.
When I moved away from California, I requested to be removed from the rolls. That's MY responsibility.

Old 03-22-2021, 04:17 PM

6,431 posts, read 3,615,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Here's another.

TLDR version - Georgia removed 200K voters before the 2018 election using flawed and unconstitutional methods mainly in the mostly Black and Democratic Atlanta area. 63% of the voters were removed should not have been. Guess who won the gubernatorial election that year by 55K votes? Why, Brian Kemp, the Secretary of State who ordered the purge did.

Old 03-22-2021, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Here is a good discussion of voter suppression...

https://www.acluofnorthcarolina.org/...ppression-2020
You cite an article by the ACLU? Here is what they say in this article:
Quote:
Suppression efforts range from the seemingly unobstructive, like voter ID laws
Start with the notion that requiring a voter to have a valid ID is voter suppression and you must conclude that anything that ensures the validity of an election is voter suppression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: