U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 09:46 AM

2,184 posts, read 1,376,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
For a sense of scale, Former Vice President Joe Biden carried the whole of Nevada with a final lead of 33,596 votes.

Sources

Records Disclosed to PILF from Clark County Voter Registrar Joe Gloria (August 3, 2020), (February 2021)NV-SOS 2020 Official Statewide General Election ResultsU.S. Election Assistance Commission; 2012-2018Election Administration & Voting Survey

Quote:
HistoricContext

According to the U.S. Election Assistance Commission Surveys spanning the 2012, 2014, 2016, and 2018 General Elections, the entire state of Nevada reported only 5,863 mail ballots returned undeliverablein total.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 11:03 AM

3 posts, read 2,709 times
Oh, Oh, Oh, lemme guess. EVERY one of them was for trump. What do I win?

Old 03-17-2021, 11:09 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,099,329 times
No, but it does illustrate how messy this was, when the decision is made to mass mail ballots without any mechanism in place to keep voter rolls up to date. It amazes me to think that it’s somehow so difficult to keep voter rolls up to date (I moved away from CA about 15 years ago, but I’m still on the rolls in LA County!), but any mention of cleaning them up is right away met with screaming and crying about “disenfranchisement.”

And HR1, which would lead to this to happening in all states, is a disaster even though it has a cutesy name that sounds good in theory.

Old 03-17-2021, 12:33 PM

23,226 posts, read 42,462,946 times
Keeping voter rolls up to date should be as easy as people filing "change of address" with the USPS website as the USPS notifies just about all of the firms you do business with. I would expect that all states avail themselves of this free service of the USPS ... BUT ... it only works if people file the change of address in the first place. We've a lot of people who don't even know to do this, they just up and move and tell no one, though of course some people pass away or enter into nursing homes as they lose the ability to handle their daily existence or some just get evicted and have other things to worry about than filing a change of address.

This "messiness" is normal for a percentage of our population and is not to be construed as any sort of election fraud, there always has been and always will be some slop, whether it's voting or picking up after your dog or anything else, some people and their lives are just messy.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-17-2021, 02:15 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,099,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
This "messiness" is normal for a percentage of our population and is not to be construed as any sort of election fraud, there always has been and always will be some slop, whether it's voting or picking up after your dog or anything else, some people and their lives are just messy.
Sure, but shouldn’t we strive to do better? I’m not insinuating fraud, but to me, with the technology available to us today, this is unacceptable. Obviously the pandemic is a bit of an unprecedented thing, but moving forward, shouldn’t we want to do better than this? My understanding of HR1 is that it would make it more difficult to clean up voter rolls, among other things.

Old 03-17-2021, 05:45 PM

Indeed, we should strive for zero defects, subject to the law of diminishing returns. Getting to 100% perfect may cost a fortune and we probably can catch the defects at election time in most cases. There's a difficult line to walk between protecting personal privacy and just how much personal data our governments should be allowed to pry out of us.

Old 03-17-2021, 10:12 PM

532 posts, read 631,183 times
Election department mailed out ballots to active voters on their rolls. So 1.2 million pieces of mail went out and 92k came back as undeliverable - seems reasonable considering how bad people are about updating their address (via an election registration update form) and how transient Southern Nevada is.

If a registered voter did not get a mail-in-ballot, they could have still participated in the election via in person early voting (open for several days) or worst case scenario, voting in person during actual election day.

I don't believe this disenfranchised any voters.

Old 03-18-2021, 02:38 AM

302 posts, read 118,100 times
Only the brainwashed and willfully ignorant thought there was significant voting fraud.
There were no proven statistical relevant evidence from sworn affidavits, voting machine
irregularities, illegal votes, last-minute voting legislation changes, forensic audits, and
expert witnesses despite dozens of court cases and challenges. All of my friends from
Europe knew the claims of election fraud were a joke and still laugh at us.

Go ahead, actually look at the dozens of filed court cases. NONE of them claimed voter
fraud or vote counting manipulation nor were any instances proven IN A COURT OF LAW.
(This included cases up to the US Supreme Court). The one case (or maybe two) that
were successful were in Pennsylvania I believe. The first was that observers monitoring
the vote counts could stand closer than 20 feet..I think the court decreased the distance.
The other was that mail returned ballots had less time after election day to be received in
order to be declared valid to be counted. (still had to be postmarked by election day).
For the second case, it sort of didn't matter much as postal mail was so backlogged that even
ballots postmarked by the valid date were not received in time to be counted and that mostly
benefitted the Republican NOT Democrat count.

Old 03-18-2021, 06:33 AM

6,431 posts, read 3,615,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Keeping voter rolls up to date should be as easy as people filing "change of address" with the USPS website as the USPS notifies just about all of the firms you do business with. I would expect that all states avail themselves of this free service of the USPS ... BUT ... it only works if people file the change of address in the first place. We've a lot of people who don't even know to do this, they just up and move and tell no one, though of course some people pass away or enter into nursing homes as they lose the ability to handle their daily existence or some just get evicted and have other things to worry about than filing a change of address.

The Post Office only notifies senders of your new address if the mail is marked "do not forward" or "lectronic service requested." It is up to the individual to advise the new address.

If you register to vote at your new address, your old home voter registration service should be notified.

Old 03-18-2021, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
The Post Office only notifies senders of your new address if the mail is marked "do not forward" or "lectronic service requested." It is up to the individual to advise the new address.

If you register to vote at your new address, your old home voter registration service should be notified.
What I know from two actual experiences when I've used the change of address function was all of our magazines and business partners (with only a few exceptions for tiny outfits) started using the new addresses without me having to notify each of them separately. My understanding has always been that the USPS sends out a weekly data file to all entities who need the change data so they may apply the revised address data to their files. The USPS has street address data for just about everyone in the nation and would be a great data source for cross checking voter registrations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: