U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 09:58 PM

20,427 posts, read 24,099,606 times

Advertisements

In one of the last legislative sessions, I believe it was Tic Segerblom that embarrassed the Assembly by pointing out that Las Vegas was the last big city in the country to have an Art Museum. So, they allotted $10 million as seed money for the museum, and? Sandoval slashed that amount to a mere $1 million.

In this current legislative session, is there any hope whatsoever money is going to be appropriated to finally, finally, finally get an Art Museum in Las Vegas off the ground?

And what about Physician Assisted Suicide. CA, OR, WA have it, and can't NV join them as well?

In Canada, with a stroke of the pen, Justin Trudeau nationalized Physician Assisted Suicide.

And we know who would be opposed to it, don't we? Nursing homes, Big Pharma, Doctors, Nurses.

When I worked in a LTC/Rehab facility in Las Vegas, I'd bring up the idea of Physician Assisted Suicide in NV and the looks on the faces of the (Care-Less) Nurses, who only want to protect their paychecks, you'd swear that they suddenly saw Osama Bin Laden standing there! You'll never see selfish Nurses up at Carson City shouting: We want Physician Assisted Suicide!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 11:32 AM

23,250 posts, read 42,517,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
In one of the last legislative sessions, I believe it was Tic Segerblom that embarrassed the Assembly by pointing out that Las Vegas was the last big city in the country to have an Art Museum. So, they allotted $10 million as seed money for the museum, and? Sandoval slashed that amount to a mere $1 million.

In this current legislative session, is there any hope whatsoever money is going to be appropriated to finally, finally, finally get an Art Museum in Las Vegas off the ground?

And what about Physician Assisted Suicide. CA, OR, WA have it, and can't NV join them as well?

In Canada, with a stroke of the pen, Justin Trudeau nationalized Physician Assisted Suicide.

And we know who would be opposed to it, don't we? Nursing homes, Big Pharma, Doctors, Nurses.

When I worked in a LTC/Rehab facility in Las Vegas, I'd bring up the idea of Physician Assisted Suicide in NV and the looks on the faces of the (Care-Less) Nurses, who only want to protect their paychecks, you'd swear that they suddenly saw Osama Bin Laden standing there! You'll never see selfish Nurses up at Carson City shouting: We want Physician Assisted Suicide!
Colorado also has Death With Dignity (DWD) which we passed with over a 70% voter approval. In Colorado "we the people" put DWD on the ballot as a referendum, we didn't leave it up to any elected legislature as most of us readily admit that most politicians and legislatures are flat out for sale to the highest bidder. In Colorado the highest bidder against DWD was the Catholic Diocese of Denver who spent over $1M trying to influence public opinion. The Catholic church runs over 600 major hospitals in this county and who knows how many nursing homes, all of them nursing deeply at the nipple of Medicare, Medicare and insurance. It is in their financial interest to keep terminal patients on life support as long as possible to keep milking the taxpayers. IIRC about fully one third of Medicare spending is done in the last year of a person's life, think about that. You start Medicare at age 65, live to 80-90 but one third of all your Medicare costs are in that last year. Ask any economist about that and you'll get a lesson on "the law of diminishing returns." It the same old story as the Watergate crime: "follow the money" and trust me, it's always about the money.

Here's my two cents on DWD.

DWD is legal in ten states and DC, with efforts in more states to legalize it. We need to make it an option for everyone, nationally, and part of Medicare/Medicaid and insurances.

For those not familiar with DWD, it is totally the choice of the patient, totally voluntary, no family member, no doctor, no hospital, no insurance firm, no person, no government, no entity can force it on anyone else, it's up to you and you alone. Choose it, or not choose it, it's all up to you, and your wishes must be stated well in advance of when you need it. When you know you want to go you just take a couple pills and go to sleep.

I've seen several of my older generation die horrible deaths from cancer; tubes everywhere, breathing on a ventilator, gasping for air, unable to speak, wearing a diaper, no control of their bladder or bowels, moaning, screaming, drugged, unconscious, and worse. Having DWD for them would've been a blessing to them as well as for those of who had to watch them suffer.

We treat our pets better, we put them down humanely when they are suffering.

The American way of death is not healthcare, it's cruel and unusual punishment.

Here in AZ we have 3 bills before the legislature to legalize DWD and I hope NV can make it happen there.

Visit this site for more info: https://www.compassionandchoices.org
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; Yesterday at 08:57 PM..

Old 04-11-2021, 11:39 AM

1,272 posts, read 1,536,320 times
Totally agree with the above. It's a dignified way to go if such medical issues come up.

Old 04-11-2021, 03:06 PM

192 posts, read 319,519 times
Quote:

Why should the state waste money funding an art museum nobody's going to visit?

Old 04-11-2021, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKLAS View Post
Why should the state waste money funding an art museum nobody's going to visit?
Funding of art museums is usually the domain of billionaires who want to leave their name on something classy.

Old 04-11-2021, 11:57 PM

20,427 posts, read 24,099,606 times
With with all the wealthy state income tax dodgers with residency in Las Vegas (And how many live there even part of the year?), even a Wall-Mart Heir worth billions living in Henderson, you mean to tell me these tax dodgers can't show more love for Las Vegas and kick in $250 million for a world class art museum?

What the legislature approved was merely "Seed Money" to get the ball rolling, as you really don't think they can build a world-class art museum for $10 million?

One of the unseen beneficiaries to having a world class art museum in Las Vegas are school students.

When I was at the Getty Museum (the one on the hill overlooking Beverly Hills) parking lot a few years ago, I saw a dozen school buses, with children lined up to take the tram up to the Museum. In Las Vegas the children/high school students miss out on a cultural trip like that. And are teachers taking these students to the Mob or Neon Museums instead?

No city can call itself a city unless there's a world-class art museum.

We have an awesome art museum here in Tucson, half the size of Las Vegas, with a billion dollar expansion underway.

Come on Las Vegas! It should be embarrassing enough there's no light rail lines, but obviously no embarrassment for being the last big city in the country to have an art museum.

Old 04-12-2021, 11:05 AM

They go to the pinball museum. . .

Old 04-12-2021, 11:08 AM

9,108 posts, read 2,984,842 times
Quote:

Since you do not live here, why do you care?

Regardless, we don't need to "keep up with the Joneses" by wasting money on a useless art museum. I'd rather the money go to more important things like widening freeways and securing more water rights.

Old 04-12-2021, 11:12 AM

9,108 posts, read 2,984,842 times
Quote:
With with all the wealthy state income tax dodgers with residency in Las Vegas (And how many live there even part of the year?), even a Wall-Mart Heir worth billions living in Henderson, you mean to tell me these tax dodgers can't show more love for Las Vegas and kick in $250 million for a world class art museum?
"A left-wing progressive is someone who feels a great debt to mankind, which debt they will gladly repay with someone else's money."

Old 04-12-2021, 12:23 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,382,814 times
Quote:
You seem rather indignant about how other people spend their money. How much are YOU willing to 'kick in'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas