Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 11:33 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,376,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyer View Post
FWIW I don't agree with straight ticket voting either, though it would be convenient for me In my mind, government elections have no business supporting political party organization at all. No mention of affiliation on the official ballot. No taxpayer-subsidized primaries. Let these clubs hold their own internal elections at their own cost, or caucus, or blackball - whatever.

Your first assertion is absurd. Why would illegals have more rights than citizens under the proposals? Police couldn't ask you about your immigration status either.
It is not absurd - Under this proposed law, illegals that break federal law are not held while legal residents are. Illegals indicted on federal charges will not be held ONLY because of immigration status - doesn't matter if it is NOT immigration law that is violated. Also by definition they are already getting a benefit - by violating immigration law and not being held accountable, they are already being treated better - they broke the law but the state says don't care but ONLY for immigration laws. Also, those they think are illegals Do Not get checked in federal data bases - legal residents are. State will force police to ignore Federal Charges ONLY because of immigration status - legal residents will be held.

This is similar to what happened in CA that allowed a convicted felon to not get deported and eventually got off when he shot and killed a woman in SF. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Kate_Steinle Afterwards CA released him even though he was under federal indictment for gun charges ONLY because of his immigration status - a legal resident would have been held.

BTW - police do ask for drivers license which has your status with real ID. Must be legal resident to have real ID.

Last edited by ddeemo; 04-01-2021 at 11:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2021, 10:38 AM

1,608 posts, read 2,014,888 times
I don't see why it's such a bad thing to require voter ID at polls. We have to provide it almost everywhere else.
https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/p...-bill-2320386/

Old 04-06-2021, 01:25 PM

1,169 posts, read 750,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
It is not absurd - Under this proposed law, illegals that break federal law are not held while legal residents are. Illegals indicted on federal charges will not be held ONLY because of immigration status - doesn't matter if it is NOT immigration law that is violated. Also by definition they are already getting a benefit - by violating immigration law and not being held accountable, they are already being treated better - they broke the law but the state says don't care but ONLY for immigration laws. Also, those they think are illegals Do Not get checked in federal data bases - legal residents are. State will force police to ignore Federal Charges ONLY because of immigration status - legal residents will be held.

This is similar to what happened in CA that allowed a convicted felon to not get deported and eventually got off when he shot and killed a woman in SF. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Kate_Steinle Afterwards CA released him even though he was under federal indictment for gun charges ONLY because of his immigration status - a legal resident would have been held.

BTW - police do ask for drivers license which has your status with real ID. Must be legal resident to have real ID.
Where do people get this crazy stuff? Um, no, that neither happened in the Zarate case nor does it typically happen. As a matter of fact Zarate remained incarcerated after he was acquitted of homicide because the federal indictment and warrant was on file, he wasn't released. As of October 2020 which is the last mention I've found, he has been incarcerated in various detention facilities or secure mental institutions since the murder trial.

Prior to the homicide, Zarate was in jail on old state drug charges, once those charges were dismissed by the prosecution due to them being unwinnable, he had no active warrant or indictment anywhere, except for the immigration detainer request.

Maybe if ICE bothered to actually get warrants for these people instead of these psuedo-legal, easy-way-out, examples-of-institutional-laziness detainer requests, this problem wouldn't be a problem. Well, except for all the extra federal jail space they'd have to find.

The NV proposed law gives no special protections that you mention. You are basically making those up.

Old 04-07-2021, 02:47 AM

Now they want to take away our natural gas. No new natural gas installations. California passed a similar bill a couple of years ago. Current majority party is trying desperately to turn us into California. We have to stop this madness, seriously.
https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/p...s-use-2323656/

Old 04-07-2021, 02:52 AM

Even Nvenergy is opposing this bill along with Southwest Gas. Gas is cheaper to use than electricity. They want to take away our choices. I use gas for my dryer, hot water, cooking and heating. If that was all electricity I would have much higher bills.

Old 04-07-2021, 08:28 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,647,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
hey want to take away our choices. I use gas for my dryer, hot water, cooking and heating. If that was all electricity I would have much higher bills.
That is precisely what the Democratic Administration wants. Higher bills mean you would have an incentive to use less - which is their objective. Ditto for higher gasoline prices.

For those in the bottom half of the economic spectrum, the Democratic Administration would offer increased transfer payments via the Robin Hood approach.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:00 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Gas is not universal. We have none and most of the Lone Mountain RNP is gasless. It is generally not feasible to hook up a single home.

It is not all that expensive. Our utility bill runs from $200 to $500 during the year. The big bills are high summer and mid winter. I do not think gas helps with the high summer bill.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:40 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Love my natural gas for cooking, heat and hot water. We are in serious need of a national energy policy, not to mention a national transportation policy, as the first steps to planning and investment. However ... with a divided congress that gets nothing done the states must go at these issues in an every man for himself manner which will prove to be full of stumbles, false starts and wasted efforts. Woe is us.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-07-2021, 03:42 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,029,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
Now they want to take away our natural gas. No new natural gas installations. California passed a similar bill a couple of years ago. Current majority party is trying desperately to turn us into California. We have to stop this madness, seriously.
https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/p...s-use-2323656/
Where can I get home delivery of coal?

Old 04-07-2021, 03:58 PM

365 posts, read 423,597 times
What's so bad about requiring an ID? Unless you don't have one, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas