Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2021, 12:23 PM

102 posts, read 113,364 times

Advertisements

Trying to understand my rights here and what I can and can't do.

I live in a very quiet neighborhood where the backyards are pretty small and close to each other. My next door neighbor bought the unit and turned it into illegal airbnb (unincorporated town) and almost all their out of town guests took the opportunity to smoke weed in the backyard and when they do that, I can't use my backyard or leave my windows open since then the smell would get inside the house.

Am I pretty much out of luck now? I get that marijuana is now legal but does that mean I have no rights for clean air anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2021, 08:53 AM

271 posts, read 203,283 times
I'd report the illegal airbnb to code enforcement - City of Las Vegas, include the airbnb listing in your complaint, if possible. I reported one in a unit attached to mine to the HOA and they took care of it.

You may still have a weed smoker move in if the unit is changed to a regular rental but more than likely not. I was so annoyed to have all different people coming and going from that unit. The final straw was a group of six young guys partying and being loud for three days. Oh hell no, that was my home and I didn't buy a place in a busy hotel so I didn't want the townhome next door being rented out like one.

Old 04-14-2021, 10:56 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,573,122 times
Try this here is the official Clark County report form
https://www.clarkcountynv.gov/govern...erm_rental.php
Additionally report to Airbnb.com this two pronged approach might get you some action. As far as the weed goes even though legal I doubt that Airbnb landlords allow it. Might. Enworth a shot anyway.

Old 04-14-2021, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuruChicken View Post
I'd report the illegal airbnb to code enforcement - City of Las Vegas, include the airbnb listing in your complaint, if possible. I reported one in a unit attached to mine to the HOA and they took care of it.
I think one of my neighbors did since we saw Code enforcement's car stopped by and posted a sign on the door. They are still operating though in the meantime.

When you reported your neighbor, how long did it take for them to stop? I read on the county's website that the county will fine them $1,000/day but I didn't have a chance to see the notice on their door so I'm not sure if the county gave them a grace period to stop and the fine will start after that date or if they decided it's worth to keep running the airbnb.

Quote:
You may still have a weed smoker move in if the unit is changed to a regular rental but more than likely not. I was so annoyed to have all different people coming and going from that unit. The final straw was a group of six young guys partying and being loud for three days. Oh hell no, that was my home and I didn't buy a place in a busy hotel so I didn't want the townhome next door being rented out like one.
I feel you. We've had one family stayed there for almost a week and they had kids and dogs. Of course, none of them had to get up in the morning to work like locals do so they stayed up having their own backyard party in the hot tub talking loudly, with their dogs barking, and music on speaker every night. And our bedroom is next to the backyard so we couldn't escape the noise. I tried calling metro but was on hold so long I gave up.
I've been trying to get our HOA involved but they are not doing anything. Makes me wonder what we are paying them monthly for.
It's frustrating that the neighbors are left with not much choice or say. I wish Airbnb would do something about their illegal hosts.

Old 04-14-2021, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
Try this here is the official Clark County report form
https://www.clarkcountynv.gov/govern...erm_rental.php
Additionally report to Airbnb.com this two pronged approach might get you some action. As far as the weed goes even though legal I doubt that Airbnb landlords allow it. Might. Enworth a shot anyway.

Thank you. I'll try to take a picture this weekend and submit a complaint.

From what I've read so far, the complaints on Airbnb page is just going straight to the owner. Airbnb is washing their hands clean and is not going to take part in it, which is a shame.

Since the owner doesn't care enough to abide the law and run an airbnb anyway even though it is clearly illegal, I doubt he's going to start caring what the neighbors feel about his guests smoking weed in the backyard since it is legal, I guess? Plus at this point, I've had it and don't really want to deal with him/her, just need it shut down permanently asap.

Old 04-14-2021, 09:25 PM

14,305 posts, read 11,780,231 times
Rather than complain... is it possible you're making too much of it? At least, the pot part of it. It's been awhile since I've been around the stuff... but smoking pot is not at all like smoking cigarettes. I mean, you usually don't just sit there and let it burn all evening... you smoke some and then put it out.... don't you? Not constantly, most pot nowadays is pretty potent and a little bit will do ya. You'd eventually just pass out.... after eating a bag of chips, of course

Is it really about the pot, or that they're hanging out in the back patio being noisy?

Old 04-15-2021, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTee_ View Post
I think one of my neighbors did since we saw Code enforcement's car stopped by and posted a sign on the door. They are still operating though in the meantime.

When you reported your neighbor, how long did it take for them to stop?

Glad to hear there's a sign on their door. I don't remember it being too long. Maybe a few weeks. Then the unit was rented to a very quiet older couple, thankfully. But then a young weed smoking couple moved in, then a family with 2 active kids who liked to play basketball in the house. So then I sold and moved into an UNattached single family home!

Quote:
I feel you. We've had one family stayed there for almost a week and they had kids and dogs. Of course, none of them had to get up in the morning to work like locals do so they stayed up having their own backyard party in the hot tub talking loudly, with their dogs barking, and music on speaker every night. And our bedroom is next to the backyard so we couldn't escape the noise. I tried calling metro but was on hold so long I gave up.
I've been trying to get our HOA involved but they are not doing anything. Makes me wonder what we are paying them monthly for.
It's frustrating that the neighbors are left with not much choice or say. I wish Airbnb would do something about their illegal hosts.
It's truly frustrating. I was surprised how quickly my HOA got things done. The manager was really efficient and dedicated to have everything run smoothly. Very rare situation! But definitely contact code enforcement. Before Covid, they were even showing a phone number on the news to call to report an illegal short term rental. Good luck!

Old 04-15-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Is it really about the pot, or that they're hanging out in the back patio being noisy?
Could be that it's a revolving door of people moving in and out of a next door unit. When my teenage daughter lived at home, I wasn't too thrilled with constant groups of different people in and out. We didn't feel safe in our own home.

I paid a good amount of money for a new townhome only for it to feel like I lived at a hotel with loud vacationers in and out. Not too fun and it had nothing to do with pot.

Last edited by GuruChicken; 04-15-2021 at 09:54 AM..

Old 04-15-2021, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Rather than complain... is it possible you're making too much of it? At least, the pot part of it. It's been awhile since I've been around the stuff... but smoking pot is not at all like smoking cigarettes. I mean, you usually don't just sit there and let it burn all evening... you smoke some and then put it out.... don't you? Not constantly, most pot nowadays is pretty potent and a little bit will do ya. You'd eventually just pass out.... after eating a bag of chips, of course

According to me and my neighbors, no, I'm not making too much out of it. But according to others, maybe.

I wouldn't know how smoking pot would be different than cigarette. Never smoked either and don't care for the smell either.

Like GuruChiken said, it's more to do with having different group of people constantly. And each different group brings different issues for us to deal with. Weekly.

Old 04-15-2021, 02:24 PM

Quote:
I paid a good amount of money for a new townhome only for it to feel like I lived at a hotel with loud vacationers in and out.
^^This.

We chose to be away from the strip for a reason yet it feels like living in a rundown motel a block away from the strip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas