U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-27-2021, 07:23 AM
 
126 posts, read 68,437 times
Reputation: 423

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Jonathan, many communities have clubhouses with amenities that are popular with the homeowners who prefer less living space but frequent the clubhouses for fitness centers and pool, table tennis, etc. In those communities, you’ll find many happy owners who get all the amenities they want but don’t need them under their own roofs.

1800 sq ft is plenty for two people and isn’t a tiny house at all.

I own seven (yes 7) houses and four of them are under 1800 sq ft. Our place in Dallas is a hotel condo with amazing amenities - incredible fitness studio, pool, hot tub, yoga studio, 2 restaurants, bar with live entertainment, room service, office space and conference rooms, amazing party rooms and valet parking for my guests when I have a party, bbq/grilling areas and I don’t have to clean the grill, 24 hr concierge, private gardens with waterfalls and outdoor TV, choice of parking in my 2 underground spaces or using the valet daily (no tip). The place is 1560 sq ft and is plenty big enough!
Exactly! My spouse wanted the private pool, and we did look at houses with pools, BUT having had a house with a pool, you pay for the electricity, pool man to clean and chemical the pool. Our clubhouse has two pools and we go early morning to swim, the afternoon is normally a social hour. There are a sauna and jacuzzi and at 4 am no one is there, so I have the place to myself. We pay 210. monthly HOA, and I consider it a bargain.
On our morning walks, we watched an older couple, late 70s, packing up their belongings and having a garage sale, I was saddened, thinking where are they going from here.
I will be 60 and I am not interested in more material possessions, I want less. After growing up in Dallas, I spent 6 years in Europe, there were no walk-in closets, it was an Armoire. While we had a car, it was more of a pain and we only had the car, so we could take our two dogs to our Summer home, after the dogs passed, we got rid of the car. I have not driven in over two years and while we have two cars, we use Uber if we go out at night, so why have two cars. After 60, it is all about down-sizing. My grandfather always said, if you have more than what fits in one suitcase, you have too much. He was a land developer in Dallas, but to look at the man, you would think he did not have a dime to his name.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-07-2021, 10:43 AM
 
7 posts, read 4,013 times
Reputation: 14
Thank you all for the information! We'll research the areas mentioned. Thanks again!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2021, 01:20 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas & San Diego
2,855 posts, read 784,812 times
Reputation: 3448
We are in San Diego and Las Vegas - mostly suggest the areas you noted plus areas in Henderson such as Anthem and Seven Hills, and areas to the north of Summerlin like Lone Mountain and Centennial Hills. We looked in many of those same places and bought in Lone Mountain area.

As far as house size - we are well over 4k sqft in both our houses - doesn't seem too big to us.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2021, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Aliante
3,410 posts, read 2,629,292 times
Reputation: 2828
Pros and Cons for Aliante and Summerlin. Summerlin is much bigger and older and more developed and closer to everything. Aliante is less expensive but just as nice and established now with some shopping but not like the access Summerlin has. Mount Charleston is our Red Rock. The VA hospital is up here if you need to be closer to it. It takes about 20 minutes to get to everything else more central like Desert Shores. Forget going all the way South. It takes like an hour to get to Mountain Edge and an hour to drive back. I think that's the furthest route I've driven in Las Vegas. I was getting a rug off Market Place. I wish we had a big man made lake like Desert Shores or Lake Mead up here. That would be so nice. The good news is Aliante has much lighter traffic right now but the North is building like crazy so that might change. I would much prefer living in Summerlin but my husband doesn't want a half hour commute to the VA hospital and spend an hour the car driving each day.

As for housing size we have 1,970 sqft and our guest bedroom is rarely used. I discovered that the first time we lived in Las Vegas and I got an extra room for guests but found out the guest rarely stayed with us. They opted to stay on the Strip and invited us to visit them instead. Which was fun if they wanted to include us. I got to try a lot of spas. The person that stays the most with us in my Mom so she did up the guest room how she wanted and took over the closet. It's just my husband and I and I think it's too much space too. I would also like a two bedroom condo downtown but I read that grocery shopping is difficult due to bringing it up the stairs or elevator from the parking garage and there's very little grocery stores.

I'm used to two bedroom apartments under 1,000 sq ft living on my own. Grew up in big houses though so I always wanted a big house but I shared the chores with brothers and sisters. It became exhausting cleaning my house on my own, cooking and doing everything else so I finally broke down and hired a maid. I do enjoy the space and having a maid. Due to the pandemic I'm glad we picked this house instead of the ones with a community gym and pool available because they've been closed for a year around here, so we just have a few machines at home to workout on. I was going to get a gym membership at the place down the road. I do enjoy swimming and aquatic classes with people. I found the community pool at the downtown recreation center. I might try it if I don't find one closer. Still looking around for a heated pool though. It's best for my arthritis these days, but I don't have it as bad down here cuz it's not as cold as up North was.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2021, 06:18 PM
 
Location: Lone Mountain Las Vegas NV
17,238 posts, read 7,250,098 times
Reputation: 8159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
Pros and Cons for Aliante and Summerlin. Summerlin is much bigger and older and more developed and closer to everything. Aliante is less expensive but just as nice and established now with some shopping but not like the access Summerlin has. Mount Charleston is our Red Rock. The VA hospital is up here if you need to be closer to it. It takes about 20 minutes to get to everything else more central like Desert Shores. Forget going all the way South. It takes like an hour to get to Mountain Edge and an hour to drive back. I think that's the furthest route I've driven in Las Vegas. I was getting a rug off Market Place. I wish we had a big man made lake like Desert Shores or Lake Mead up here. That would be so nice. The good news is Aliante has much lighter traffic right now but the North is building like crazy so that might change. I would much prefer living in Summerlin but my husband doesn't want a half hour commute to the VA hospital and spend an hour the car driving each day.

As for housing size we have 1,970 sqft and our guest bedroom is rarely used. I discovered that the first time we lived in Las Vegas and I got an extra room for guests but found out the guest rarely stayed with us. They opted to stay on the Strip and invited us to visit them instead. Which was fun if they wanted to include us. I got to try a lot of spas. The person that stays the most with us in my Mom so she did up the guest room how she wanted and took over the closet. It's just my husband and I and I think it's too much space too. I would also like a two bedroom condo downtown but I read that grocery shopping is difficult due to bringing it up the stairs or elevator from the parking garage and there's very little grocery stores.

I'm used to two bedroom apartments under 1,000 sq ft living on my own. Grew up in big houses though so I always wanted a big house but I shared the chores with brothers and sisters. It became exhausting cleaning my house on my own, cooking and doing everything else so I finally broke down and hired a maid. I do enjoy the space and having a maid. Due to the pandemic I'm glad we picked this house instead of the ones with a community gym and pool available because they've been closed for a year around here, so we just have a few machines at home to workout on. I was going to get a gym membership at the place down the road. I do enjoy swimming and aquatic classes with people. I found the community pool at the downtown recreation center. I might try it if I don't find one closer. Still looking around for a heated pool though. It's best for my arthritis these days, but I don't have it as bad down here cuz it's not as cold as up North was.
If you folks get in the mood there are some reasonably nice places in that vicinity Aliante Country Club comes immediately to mind. If you get interested I will feed you the houses there and along the 215.

Just sold a nice place to a Sr. Radiologist at the VA. That couple sold a lovely big house in good Summerlin to get her a better commute. They bought in Sun City Aliante right across the parkway from the Country Club. The Country Club has a very nice set of facilities including a pool and gym open to all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2021, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Aliante
3,410 posts, read 2,629,292 times
Reputation: 2828
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
If you folks get in the mood there are some reasonably nice places in that vicinity Aliante Country Club comes immediately to mind. If you get interested I will feed you the houses there and along the 215.

Just sold a nice place to a Sr. Radiologist at the VA. That couple sold a lovely big house in good Summerlin to get her a better commute. They bought in Sun City Aliante right across the parkway from the Country Club. The Country Club has a very nice set of facilities including a pool and gym open to all.
Thx! We were just getting the lay of the land and seeing the areas and what we can afford for the money. We're not ready to buy though. We looked at modern and contemporary new developments cuz he said he wants modern. Now he's wants a non-HOA too and I think that may limit our options a bit.

I told him about those lots you mentioned in our area on a half acre with horses. That we could put a shop on it for his motorcycles and a green house for me. I'm not sure where they are for sure or if any come available often. He sold our crypto currency mining business and all our crypto and bought a small motorcycle export business recently.

I'm also glad we got the three car garage for him cuz he loves spending all his time in the garage working on his bikes. He's always starting these side businesses. I think this is his fourth one. He actually made two businesses out of it. One exporting the bikes and motorcycles good and the other renting out motorcycles to people online using this motorcycle rental website for private owners. It's like Turo for car rentals.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:52 AM
 
126 posts, read 68,437 times
Reputation: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
Pros and Cons for Aliante and Summerlin. Summerlin is much bigger and older and more developed and closer to everything. Aliante is less expensive but just as nice and established now with some shopping but not like the access Summerlin has. Mount Charleston is our Red Rock. The VA hospital is up here if you need to be closer to it. It takes about 20 minutes to get to everything else more central like Desert Shores. Forget going all the way South. It takes like an hour to get to Mountain Edge and an hour to drive back. I think that's the furthest route I've driven in Las Vegas. I was getting a rug off Market Place. I wish we had a big man made lake like Desert Shores or Lake Mead up here. That would be so nice. The good news is Aliante has much lighter traffic right now but the North is building like crazy so that might change. I would much prefer living in Summerlin but my husband doesn't want a half hour commute to the VA hospital and spend an hour the car driving each day.

As for housing size we have 1,970 sqft and our guest bedroom is rarely used. I discovered that the first time we lived in Las Vegas and I got an extra room for guests but found out the guest rarely stayed with us. They opted to stay on the Strip and invited us to visit them instead. Which was fun if they wanted to include us. I got to try a lot of spas. The person that stays the most with us in my Mom so she did up the guest room how she wanted and took over the closet. It's just my husband and I and I think it's too much space too. I would also like a two bedroom condo downtown but I read that grocery shopping is difficult due to bringing it up the stairs or elevator from the parking garage and there's very little grocery stores.

I'm used to two bedroom apartments under 1,000 sq ft living on my own. Grew up in big houses though so I always wanted a big house but I shared the chores with brothers and sisters. It became exhausting cleaning my house on my own, cooking and doing everything else so I finally broke down and hired a maid. I do enjoy the space and having a maid. Due to the pandemic I'm glad we picked this house instead of the ones with a community gym and pool available because they've been closed for a year around here, so we just have a few machines at home to workout on. I was going to get a gym membership at the place down the road. I do enjoy swimming and aquatic classes with people. I found the community pool at the downtown recreation center. I might try it if I don't find one closer. Still looking around for a heated pool though. It's best for my arthritis these days, but I don't have it as bad down here cuz it's not as cold as up North was.
Many of my neighbors use a cleaning service and that is an option if you like big houses, but for me, I do not want someone coming into my house for hours, outside of a repairman and then I never leave them alone.
Before we moved to Vegas, we would not tell my in-laws we were coming. My spouse would say do you want every minute of our stay to be dominated. We always stayed in a hotel and would have them meet us for a dinner. They would ask why we don't stay with them. One is 70, lives in a two-story, 3800 sq ft, pool, and all by herself. She can not make the upstairs and last week had a fall. She has to pay a pool man and cleaning service, but if she is happy that is what it is all about.
I'm 59 and know my limitations. I do like a nice kitchen as I cook, but I can even see those days coming to an end and I do not want frozen dinners, so being close to GREAT restaurants and shows are perfect for me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Aliante
3,410 posts, read 2,629,292 times
Reputation: 2828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy2017 View Post
Many of my neighbors use a cleaning service and that is an option if you like big houses, but for me, I do not want someone coming into my house for hours, outside of a repairman and then I never leave them alone.
Before we moved to Vegas, we would not tell my in-laws we were coming. My spouse would say do you want every minute of our stay to be dominated. We always stayed in a hotel and would have them meet us for a dinner. They would ask why we don't stay with them. One is 70, lives in a two-story, 3800 sq ft, pool, and all by herself. She can not make the upstairs and last week had a fall. She has to pay a pool man and cleaning service, but if she is happy that is what it is all about.
I'm 59 and know my limitations. I do like a nice kitchen as I cook, but I can even see those days coming to an end and I do not want frozen dinners, so being close to GREAT restaurants and shows are perfect for me.
That makes sense for your needs. Proximity to the bars and restaurants downtown and more central is what was appealing to me for owning a condo downtown. Short urber rides too. I once took a ride from the Strip to Buffalo and Washington and it was $45 and that was during non-surge price hours. I can't imagine taking one further 20 minutes to North Las Vegas. Another time it was $20 to go from Fashion Show Mall to the Aria where we were staying during Christmas time.
-----------------------------------
On a side note from my previous post in my hunt for an indoor heated swimming pool I have an update. I did find five swimming pools in North Las Vegas closer to me. They all look like they're outdoors except for maybe one of them I'm not sure about. I can't find any pictures of it. It looks like the pools open towards the end of May. The Las Vegas Athletic Club near me does have an indoor heated swimming pool so I may have to go with that.

Here are the park and recreation ones in NLV though if anyone else is interested.

Prentiss Walker Memorial Park & Pool
1509 June Avenue

Silver Mesa Recreation Center & Pool
4025 Allen Lane

Petitti Park & Pool
2505 North Bruce Street

Neighborhood Recreation Center
1638 North Bruce Street
(this is the one that says it has a pool online but I can't find pictures of it.)

Hartke Park & Pool
1900 East Tonopah Avenue
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top