Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 08:41 PM

7 posts, read 6,164 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are retired, and looking to relocate from San Diego to the Las Vegas area. We've seen quite a bit of Summerlin, and recently spent a littlle time in Aliante and North Ranch. Pros and cons? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 10:12 PM

1,622 posts, read 1,704,931 times
You should check out Providence and the areas around there in the northwest, Anthem, Green Valley Ranch, MacDonald Ranch and Seven Hills in Henderson.

Really, it doesn't take long to cover most of the Vegas/Henderson areas. Spend time with a realtor looking at what's in your price range and discuss what you want. Spend time on your own driving around different areas and communities. Look at realtor.com in your price range and see where the houses are.

I like Desert Shores, but not many houses I could afford appealed to me. The way things are selling, you have to move fast if you see something you like.

Old 03-24-2021, 09:26 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,049 times
Yeah no reason not to give it a look all around the nicer areas assuming you can afford to do so. There are nice houses in Summerlin, Green Valley, etc. that don't cost a fortune, they might be 20% above the average price in the Valley, but they're not like twice as much or something. When we first were looking at Vegas, I was pretty stuck on Summerlin, I really didn't have much interest even looking elsewhere. I'm really glad that eventually I opened up my mind because Henderson was a way better fit for me, with two aunts and two uncles now within 7-10 minutes (and they're awesome people), and we just really love it here. A lot of it is the neighborhood and I think our neighborhood is super nice, the neighbors are awesome, and it feels like everyone is kind of like us -- these people are nuts about making home improvements on big scales, which we do too. It really helps home values but it helps the value of what you're doing to your house too. I've noticed in the past, in mediocre-to-nice-enough neighborhoods, when you go to sell your house nobody will pay for the improvements you made because every other house doesn't have them, so "the comps" don't work. In our neighborhood, everyone spends between $50K and $300K on home improvements so you can basically do whatever you want and expect to be building a solid amount of value, which I like.

Old 03-25-2021, 07:44 AM

228 posts, read 196,555 times
We live in the Ardiente community in far N. Las Vegas. We made our choice based on my spouse working for the V.A. Even with the purchase I never considered it a "forever home".
I would consider what and why you are moving to Las Vegas. The great weather you already experience in San Diego. We moved here for the weather and great entertainment. I would prefer to be closer to the Strip, Fremont, and Smith Center, but even this far out it is a short Uber ride. I do not drive.
We are 59 and 57 and I want zero yard work and minimal housework and 100% fun. Vegas offers the fun, but our house is TOO BIG! (1,800 sq. ft) I was told our spare room would never be empty, but in three years we have yet to have a visitor and I don't want any.
Get a good Realtor and don't rely on them to show you what they want to sell. I went through 3 Realtors before finding a good one.
We have fur babies, so the house with a yard is great but on his retirement, I told my spouse we leave here with what fits in two suitcases. When I leave Las Vegas it will be horizontal and feet first.

Old 03-25-2021, 09:50 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,333,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garput View Post
My wife and I are retired, and looking to relocate from San Diego to the Las Vegas area. We've seen quite a bit of Summerlin, and recently spent a littlle time in Aliante and North Ranch. Pros and cons? Thanks!
Depends on what you are looking for. If 55+ There are the big ones of Summerlin and Anthem and the smaller ones like Aliante and Ardiente and Solara and a few more scattered around. There are a couple of smaller fresh ones in Summerlin - expensive though.

If not 55+ there are vast areas in Summerlin, south Henderson, The NW and SW.

So perhaps you can say a little more about what you would like.

Old 03-25-2021, 08:43 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy2017 View Post
We live in the Ardiente community in far N. Las Vegas. We made our choice based on my spouse working for the V.A. Even with the purchase I never considered it a "forever home".
I would consider what and why you are moving to Las Vegas. The great weather you already experience in San Diego. We moved here for the weather and great entertainment. I would prefer to be closer to the Strip, Fremont, and Smith Center, but even this far out it is a short Uber ride. I do not drive.
We are 59 and 57 and I want zero yard work and minimal housework and 100% fun. Vegas offers the fun, but our house is TOO BIG! (1,800 sq. ft) I was told our spare room would never be empty, but in three years we have yet to have a visitor and I don't want any.
Get a good Realtor and don't rely on them to show you what they want to sell. I went through 3 Realtors before finding a good one.
We have fur babies, so the house with a yard is great but on his retirement, I told my spouse we leave here with what fits in two suitcases. When I leave Las Vegas it will be horizontal and feet first.
Too big...? Are you never home?! That’s a tiny house. Our house is exactly twice that big and we’d like even more space ideally. A slightly larger home gym, my game room isn’t big enough to fit the arcade so it goes near the dining room table, etc. I mean I guess if all you do is sleep at exactly the same time as your partner every single night and wake up at the same time and then sit on a couch... ok. But that’s not whatsoever a big house lol.

Old 03-26-2021, 05:50 AM

261 posts, read 234,569 times
So much depends on two factors, your price range, and do you want to live in a planned retirement community.

Old 03-26-2021, 06:13 AM

228 posts, read 196,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Too big...? Are you never home?! That’s a tiny house. Our house is exactly twice that big and we’d like even more space ideally. A slightly larger home gym, my game room isn’t big enough to fit the arcade so it goes near the dining room table, etc. I mean I guess if all you do is sleep at exactly the same time as your partner every single night and wake up at the same time and then sit on a couch... ok. But that’s not whatsoever a big house lol.
Yes, TOO BIG! I grew up in a 4,800 sq. ft. home. My mom did not clean or cook, as we had a live in house keeper, and that poor lady worked from sun up to sun down.
For two people, 1800 is too big. My spouse is always saying we need bigger, but then again I am the one doing the cleaning, cooking, laundry...
I moved to Vegas to have fun, not spend my time behind a steam mop, buffer, and duster. If it were not for my fur babies, I would prefer an 800-900 sq. ft. high-rise condo. If it was just me, I would have a 500 sq.ft. condo at Trump Towers, easy to keep clean and great dining out your front door.

Old 03-26-2021, 08:32 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,335,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy2017 View Post
Yes, TOO BIG! I grew up in a 4,800 sq. ft. home. My mom did not clean or cook, as we had a live in house keeper, and that poor lady worked from sun up to sun down.
For two people, 1800 is too big. My spouse is always saying we need bigger, but then again I am the one doing the cleaning, cooking, laundry...
I moved to Vegas to have fun, not spend my time behind a steam mop, buffer, and duster. If it were not for my fur babies, I would prefer an 800-900 sq. ft. high-rise condo. If it was just me, I would have a 500 sq.ft. condo at Trump Towers, easy to keep clean and great dining out your front door.
This once again displays the concept of “best” is highly variable and individual. To the OP, there are many lovely communities, both family neighborhoods and 55+. And most communities are pretty driveable/Uber to The Strip, if that appeals to you. You’ll need to determine what kind of community and what your budget is and then spend time exploring

These are the areas I like, all safe areas with great amenities such as nearby parks:

Summerlin
Green Valley
Southern Highlands
Anthem
Seven Hills
Inspirada
Cadence

Old 03-26-2021, 08:49 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,335,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Jonathan, many communities have clubhouses with amenities that are popular with the homeowners who prefer less living space but frequent the clubhouses for fitness centers and pool, table tennis, etc. In those communities, you’ll find many happy owners who get all the amenities they want but don’t need them under their own roofs.

1800 sq ft is plenty for two people and isn’t a tiny house at all.

I own seven (yes 7) houses and four of them are under 1800 sq ft. Our place in Dallas is a hotel condo with amazing amenities - incredible fitness studio, pool, hot tub, yoga studio, 2 restaurants, bar with live entertainment, room service, office space and conference rooms, amazing party rooms and valet parking for my guests when I have a party, bbq/grilling areas and I don’t have to clean the grill, 24 hr concierge, private gardens with waterfalls and outdoor TV, choice of parking in my 2 underground spaces or using the valet daily (no tip). The place is 1560 sq ft and is plenty big enough!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas