U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 10:52 AM

554 posts, read 135,449 times

Advertisements

I can't recall the last time I've seen them as high as they are. I always rent a car when I come into town and am usually there 6 to 8 times a year. We're in town for two days and I would say the price is roughly four times what we normally pay.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2021, 11:04 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,592 posts, read 62,852,641 times
When a city dependent on tourism has shut down for a year, the businesses there are going to do their best to make up for lost revenue when things start back up again. Remember the Hertz bankruptcy? in Hawaii rental cars are even higher, if you can even find one. Rental car prices are not regulated, they can charge as much as the market will bear.

Old 03-31-2021, 11:53 AM

Actually, my wife just pointed out that in many areas of the country, it's Spring break. My radar wasn't on that because we had Spring break in Texas two weeks ago.

As Emily Litella would say....nevermind.

FYI...Hemlock, I was there 3 weeks ago, a month before that and 2 months before that. Average price paid was no more than $26/day (one of the trips was 5 days for $70)...right now it's over $100/day. Prices don't typically fluctuate like that over such a short period of time without some event, convention, or in this case Spring break.

Last edited by BobPhipps; 03-31-2021 at 12:02 PM..

Old 03-31-2021, 12:53 PM

5,664 posts, read 9,980,562 times
Since the Hertz bankruptcy this has happened all over the country during peak demand. A friend of mine saw $196/day cars in Miami, I have seen $98/day cars in LV and $118/day cars in Phoenix. Try it 2 months later and its $20 or less in each of these markets. Supply and demand.

Also if you do get a car be prepared for the chance of a serious hassle. The shuttles are allowed half capacity in most places, although I have noticed this month they are less strict on enforcing that. But there can be massive lines waiting for the shuttle and then you get to the desk and there are 30+ people waiting to get their car. Hopefully with the increased business and return of vacationers the lines aren't as bad, but don't make plans for right after you arrive.

Old 03-31-2021, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Since the Hertz bankruptcy this has happened all over the country during peak demand. A friend of mine saw $196/day cars in Miami, I have seen $98/day cars in LV and $118/day cars in Phoenix. Try it 2 months later and its $20 or less in each of these markets. Supply and demand.

Also if you do get a car be prepared for the chance of a serious hassle. The shuttles are allowed half capacity in most places, although I have noticed this month they are less strict on enforcing that. But there can be massive lines waiting for the shuttle and then you get to the desk and there are 30+ people waiting to get their car. Hopefully with the increased business and return of vacationers the lines aren't as bad, but don't make plans for right after you arrive.
All that in just the last 3 weeks and a capacity no different than the last time? Everything's still only 50% right? And Hertz was bankrupt on my last 3 trips to my knowledge.

Well, I'll keep the guard up because it's Spring break, but if not for that, I saw nothing of the sort at the start of March (50% capacity) and the month before. And other than the car rental on this trip, my comp rooms were no problem and air fares were dirt cheap. Shuttles were limited in capacity on my last 3 trips and I got on the 1st one and there were a few people in line when I got to each rental car company.

I'm gonna chalk this up to Spring Break and nothing more. The last figures available still show tourism down 54% YOY.

Last edited by BobPhipps; 03-31-2021 at 01:57 PM..

Old 03-31-2021, 02:07 PM

23,228 posts, read 42,469,095 times
Spring Break, Easter, etc.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-31-2021, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Spring Break, Easter, etc.
Yep, thanks Mike. I'm good. Have a good day.

Old 03-31-2021, 02:42 PM

6,431 posts, read 3,618,715 times
Good opportunity to try out Turo - I do that rather than renting.

Old 03-31-2021, 03:33 PM

5,664 posts, read 9,980,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhipps View Post
All that in just the last 3 weeks and a capacity no different than the last time? Everything's still only 50% right? And Hertz was bankrupt on my last 3 trips to my knowledge.

Well, I'll keep the guard up because it's Spring break, but if not for that, I saw nothing of the sort at the start of March (50% capacity) and the month before. And other than the car rental on this trip, my comp rooms were no problem and air fares were dirt cheap. Shuttles were limited in capacity on my last 3 trips and I got on the 1st one and there were a few people in line when I got to each rental car company.

I'm gonna chalk this up to Spring Break and nothing more. The last figures available still show tourism down 54% YOY.
Give it about a month and those numbers will be a distant memory. Spring break is part of it, but so is the stimulus which hit after the first week of March. Also can't discount how many people are willing to travel now that vaccines are being given at a much higher rate. Spring break demand will abate soon, but stimulus and vaccines will continue to drive big bumps in visitation.

Just wait til you get in and go outside on the Strip or Downtown. There are a lot more people than there has been at any time since probably New Years Eve 2020.

Old 03-31-2021, 03:52 PM

Ok Willy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: