Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 03:09 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,253,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabelle22 View Post
It’s not 4 days a week it’s every 4 days. My mistake. That’s the program for fall and spring I guess, summer I guess will be 3 times a week
You will have to check. Normal spring/fall is Mon/Wed/Fri or Tues/Thurs/Sat. Summer time is Mon-Sat.

I also agree with Movin1 that you should get a professional to check it all out and give you a quick course in the management of the controller.

I have a large system with 14 valves over 0.6 acres. I will have to replace my controller over the next couple of years. It is over 30 year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2021, 10:47 AM

1,597 posts, read 1,676,586 times
You still don't have the correct information. These are my days, yours may be different. "Seasons" here are not the same as the what the calendar dictates.

Spring (March - April): MONDAY, WEDNESDAY, FRIDAY

Summer (May - August): MONDAY – SATURDAY

Fall (September – October): MONDAY, WEDNESDAY, FRIDAY

Winter (November – February): FRIDAY

The house I bought had been sitting empty for several months before I bought it. The irrigation system had not been set correctly and many plants were dead, it cost a lot to replace them.

I'm an engineer and am sure I could have learned how to do it, but I hired an irrigation company to go through my system and teach me what I needed to know. He found clogged lines and incorrect heads (wrong flow rates for the plants they were watering). He balanced the system and told me how to set it for each season.

If you only water three times a week in summer (in Vegas, summer is considered to be May through August), your landscape will not get enough water. Last year, a tree in my front yard had lots of leaves turning brown and falling off. The irrigation guy told me I had not started watering soon enough and was not watering often and long enough. My back yard needs less time than my front yard.

Good luck to you if you continue to try to figure it out on your own.

Old 04-04-2021, 11:26 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,094,358 times
Now that it's getting warmer, don't mess around with your plants. Call these guys and see if they'll come to your residence.

Jam Landscaping & Lawn Care
702-498-6399

Old 04-04-2021, 01:15 PM

Just had occasion to do one in NLV. In the spring they come down either MWF or TTS. which one depends on the last digit of your street address. The site takes your address and gives you the watering days.

Old 04-04-2021, 06:20 PM

10,594 posts, read 5,572,957 times
Quote:
I moved to a new house in Summerlin South...
Annabelle22, call or drive over to Star Nursery and ask for one of their people to come do a house call and look at everything. https://www.starnursery.com/dr-qs-house-calls-2 It is not free, but it is not expensive and well worth the money - $90 for an hour consultation. Their experts will tell you precisely what to do regarding irrigation timing. They may recommend you swap out some of the emitters as they may be incorrect for the plant (common). I had them come to my house and the advice was excellent.

There are several locations around the valley: https://www.starnursery.com/locations

Quote:
I will be going out of town for two months and really don't want everything to die wile I'm away.
I think you need a friend or neighbor to come look at your landscaping every week or so. In addition, you should separately post a question here regarding things you should do prior to leaving your house vacant for 2 months. Welcome to the joys of home ownership.

Last edited by RationalExpectations; 04-04-2021 at 06:28 PM..

Old 04-04-2021, 07:04 PM

395 posts, read 269,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Annabelle22, call or drive over to Star Nursery and ask for one of their people to come do a house call and look at everything. https://www.starnursery.com/dr-qs-house-calls-2 It is not free, but it is not expensive and well worth the money - $90 for an hour consultation. Their experts will tell you precisely what to do regarding irrigation timing. They may recommend you swap out some of the emitters as they may be incorrect for the plant (common). I had them come to my house and the advice was excellent.
Thanks so much for this information! I didn't know this was a service they offered.
I actually could really use this so just sent them an email for a house call. I'm also
on a drip irrigation system and am learning the ropes too. Our power got cut
accidentally by road construction crews in late February I want to say and ever since
then, we've had issues with problems in our irrigation system. Besides that, I could really
benefit from instruction on how often to water and how much for each season. Thanks
again!
Mariza

Old 04-05-2021, 04:08 PM

1,600 posts, read 2,001,413 times
Quote:
I moved to a new house in Summerlin South about two months ago, the previous owner said that the rain bird system is programmed and I don't need to touch it, I noticed that I haven't heard it working for a while, I looked at it and it seems like it was reset, it says 00:00 for everything, now I have no idea when and for how long I should run it, I'd really appreciate it if you guys can help me out.
So like I said I live in Summerlin South, my backyard is not done yet so I just need to water a few plants in my side yard and some desert landscaping in the front yard, and two small/medium size trees, no lawn.
I will be going out of town for two months and really don't want everything to die wile I'm away.
DM sent to you

Old 04-05-2021, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariza160 View Post
Thanks so much for this information! I didn't know this was a service they offered.
I actually could really use this so just sent them an email for a house call. I'm also
on a drip irrigation system and am learning the ropes too. Our power got cut
accidentally by road construction crews in late February I want to say and ever since
then, we've had issues with problems in our irrigation system. Besides that, I could really
benefit from instruction on how often to water and how much for each season. Thanks
again!
Mariza
I think you are on a well Mariza. So none of this applies to you. The only requirement is that you pay the electric bill.

The only problem you would have would be if you ended up with a lot of waste water running off the property and it got picked up by the State Engineer. I am not sure that it has ever happened in the NW. So it is mostly to scare us into behaving.

You can also follow the watering days if you wish. We do follow after a fashion but do not get carried away...but we also do not want to flood the joint in the winter.

Tell me what your controller is and if you have the manual. If not I will find it and make you a copy. And I will help you set it up if you wish.

Old 04-06-2021, 02:25 PM

395 posts, read 269,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I think you are on a well Mariza. So none of this applies to you. The only requirement is that you pay the electric bill.

You can also follow the watering days if you wish. We do follow after a fashion but do not get carried away...but we also do not want to flood the joint in the winter.

Tell me what your controller is and if you have the manual. If not I will find it and make you a copy. And I will help you set it up if you wish.
I had it set up (by watching a youtube video on programming it) but after
the power reset, there have been a lot of issues with the system. Spigots running
constantly when they should be off etc. I had to shut off the system so
I didn't have constant puddles.

I don't care about the watering days per say since as you know, I am on
a well. I just don't know how often I should be watering to keep the
rose bushes, fruit trees, and palm trees in healthy condition. Utterly
clueless on that. I'm totally okay with paying someone $90 to run
through that with me and educate me on desert gardening and watering
tips.

I already killed two of my smaller palms...poor guys...I also have 2 10 footers
that are in dire shape....might be saveable, might not. Hopefully I can
learn before we have any more plant damage that is unrepairable.
Mariza

Old 04-06-2021, 05:39 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,577,930 times
I actually had a controller go bad once. Replaced it with one from Star Nursery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas