U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 04:35 AM

11,344 posts, read 7,438,951 times

Advertisements

1 ultra violet flashlight

2 before putting it on, knock your shoe on the heel with the toe facing up, pour out what shakes loose

_
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2021, 09:25 AM

9,397 posts, read 3,135,093 times
We hunt them with UV flashlights every 2-4 weeks, and we'll find either none or maybe as many as a half dozen.

I haven't done it recently, but you can also sprinkle some inexpensive food-grade diatomaceous earth around your property. Diatomaceous earth consists of fossilized remains of ancient diatoms. They scratch the exoskeleton of the scorpions which in turn cause them to die from moisture loss. Actually, diatomaceous earth is used in some older swimming pool systems as a filtering material.

Also, remember that scorpions are predators - they consume all types of insects, spiders, centipedes, and even other scorpions. So, eliminate their food source and they tend to go away.

I've been told scorpions are more common in new-ish developments where all the earth movement riles them up and importation of landscaping brings them in.

Old 04-05-2021, 09:30 AM

23,315 posts, read 42,721,451 times
Diatomaceous earth is also used in the refining of sugar. When I worked for Domino Sugar in Baltimore back in 1969-72 we used to get entire railroad boxcars of the stuff all the way from Lompoc, CA. Memories . . .

UV flashlights can be found at various places, we got our at Walgreen's for very little money. They are useful for home inspections to shine on the floors to look for mouse dribblings. Mice constantly dribble urine as they scamper about and those old dribbles will light up if hit with UV light. We had terrible rat problems at the sugar plant and UV flashlights were regular parts of the sanitation efforts.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-05-2021 at 09:45 AM..

Old 04-05-2021, 09:38 AM

17,297 posts, read 7,369,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
We hunt them with UV flashlights every 2-4 weeks, and we'll find either none or maybe as many as a half dozen.

I haven't done it recently, but you can also sprinkle some inexpensive food-grade diatomaceous earth around your property. Diatomaceous earth consists of fossilized remains of ancient diatoms. They scratch the exoskeleton of the scorpions which in turn cause them to die from moisture loss. Actually, diatomaceous earth is used in some older swimming pool systems as a filtering material.

You are more likely to find scorpions in new(is) developments, I've been told.
The principle offender the bark scorpion is not really a local species. They tend to come in from AZ on landscaping plants. There are also a couple of local scorpions but they are generally not a problem.

In general you can hunt down the bark scorpions and wipe them out. UV flashlights and a club will do it. A major thing is to locate any nests and destroy them. Things like wood piles and debris tend to attract them.

Old 04-05-2021, 01:28 PM

70 posts, read 165,511 times
The most effective step against scorpions in my experience is to use a pro grade insecticide called Cy-Kick CS from BASF. Not exactly cheap, but worthwhile and much less expensive than having a pro come.

The stuff can be ordered off of the Internet. Once a month I spray the perimeter of the house with one ounce of Cy-Kick diluted in a gallon of water. This was recommended to me on this forum about 10 years ago and has helped ensure my formerly scorpion infested house stay free of these nuisances.

In addition I used glue traps to catch any errant scorpions inside the house.

Old 04-18-2021, 07:09 PM

15 posts, read 14,713 times
Hi I was so scared to move to Las Vegas because of scorpions. I even called local veterinarians to see if they ever treat pets with scorpion stings! I have lived here 6 years now and I have never seen one, or heard about any in my neighborhood. I had an exterminator come spray monthly, but I had to cancel the service because I lost my job. Good Luck!

Old 04-19-2021, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The principle offender the bark scorpion is not really a local species. They tend to come in from AZ on landscaping plants. There are also a couple of local scorpions but they are generally not a problem.

In general you can hunt down the bark scorpions and wipe them out. UV flashlights and a club will do it. A major thing is to locate any nests and destroy them. Things like wood piles and debris tend to attract them.
Instead of a club, I use needle nose pliers.

Old 04-19-2021, 08:47 AM

17,297 posts, read 7,369,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Instead of a club, I use needle nose pliers.
That will work. A good part of the time I simply step on them as does my gardener.

Old 04-19-2021, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltman View Post
The most effective step against scorpions ... is to use a pro grade insecticide called Cy-Kick CS from BASF.
A scorpion is not an insect. Like spiders, scorpions are members of class Arachnida - they are arachnids. Insecticides can work two ways - it is possible to kill an arachnid with an insecticide but insecticides are not that effective on arachnids. The more important way is the insecticides kill the food source of the scorpion.

BASF actually recommends a different product for scorpion: Controlling Scorpions with Fendona¬ģCS controlled release insecticide

https://pestcontrol.basf.us/content/...h-Bulletin.pdf

It also is an insecticide, but its active ingredient is 4x more effective on scorpions, according to BASF. Fendona CS is what BASF currently recommends.

Old 04-19-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
That will work. A good part of the time I simply step on them as does my gardener.
Around my home, I have a lot of 2" rock and larger. The scorpions scurry underneath when they detect I'm going after them, so stepping on the rock might or might not get them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: