U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 06:47 AM

1,207 posts, read 1,571,164 times

Advertisements

Used to have a real cricket problem in my house. A few scorpions showed up and now I never see any crickets. I see a scorpion a couple of times a year.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2021, 04:13 PM

1,895 posts, read 2,161,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
A scorpion is not an insect. Like spiders, scorpions are members of class Arachnida - they are arachnids. Insecticides can work two ways - it is possible to kill an arachnid with an insecticide but insecticides are not that effective on arachnids. The more important way is the insecticides kill the food source of the scorpion.

BASF actually recommends a different product for scorpion: Controlling Scorpions with Fendona®CS controlled release insecticide

https://pestcontrol.basf.us/content/...h-Bulletin.pdf

It also is an insecticide, but its active ingredient is 4x more effective on scorpions, according to BASF. Fendona CS is what BASF currently recommends.
Insecticides will only make them grow bigger.

Old 04-25-2021, 11:14 PM

4 posts, read 582 times
My house seems to be infested with scorpions. This is the first time I’ve lived in a house. I didn’t see one in any apartment I’ve lived in.

Old 04-27-2021, 01:01 PM

4,563 posts, read 2,858,973 times
If you are house hunting during warm months do a nighttime inspection using a black light. I personally think that checking outside is good enough. During colder times of year they are not active, so you likely would not see any even if there's a problem.

FWIW, I carry a can of Terro spray when I'm hunting scorpions at night. The straw nozzle is great for getting scorpions that are in cracks or in landscaping gravel. Of course you can still smash the ones that are out in the open.

https://www.terro.com/terro-scorpion-killer-spray

Old 04-27-2021, 06:55 PM

28,730 posts, read 43,000,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltman View Post
The most effective step against scorpions in my experience is to use a pro grade insecticide called Cy-Kick CS from BASF. Not exactly cheap, but worthwhile and much less expensive than having a pro come.

The stuff can be ordered off of the Internet. Once a month I spray the perimeter of the house with one ounce of Cy-Kick diluted in a gallon of water. This was recommended to me on this forum about 10 years ago and has helped ensure my formerly scorpion infested house stay free of these nuisances.

In addition I used glue traps to catch any errant scorpions inside the house.
I ordered this because wee had a couple when they remodeled the house, and saw one when they were digging under the sidewalk to run irrigation. Haven't used it in 3 years. We did have one get carried into the house by visitors and sting my wife. Painful as hell and some swelling. Found it right away with a black light. That was 2 years ago and not a one since. I think our bug man keeps them at bay. Lake Mead and 215 area.

I ran a ring of diatomaceous earth around the hose the first year here and it helped.

Old Today, 01:35 AM

96 posts, read 59,342 times
In 5 years in Vegas, I have seen the scorpion twice.
I really did not even know that there are scorpions in Vegas until I moved to the house with the palm trees - and at that time I started to read about palm trees and their maninetnance etc, and found that I could actually have scorpions. I was freaked!
Well, I got UV flashlight and went outside each evening for a week and have found none! That was big relief.

So, I would advise, when buying:
1. talk to the neighbors and ask them
2. ask your real estate agent to come to the house in the evening and inspect it and the yard with the flashlight (this is especially representative check if it is warm summer evening.. but if possible I would check it even in cold weather, at least you can see if there is anything in the house itself)

It is prettly low probability that you would have them, since scorpion issue seems to be localized.
But, if you still find that you have them - I heard that hunting is the most effective way to get rid of them, plus reduce the food source for them (meaning have regular pest control).

And in the end, if you are in the neighborhood where there is no HOA - then maybe get couple chickens - they love to eat them

Old Today, 07:08 AM

6,996 posts, read 7,230,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
There have been MULTIPLE posts on here by people saying they have never seen a scorpion in Vegas or seen one once or twice in 10 or 20 years. I have not lived there yet but been there over 50 times and never seen one there. Not sure this is much of a concern.
Yeah never seen one either. Not even a roach anywhere near our house. It’s called pest control and it is necessary. You’re moving to a no income tax state that’s low cost of living for the West Coast. Pest control isn’t a fun time or a “heh cool if there’s money,” it’s a required thing. You have pest control here or you’re stupid.

Old Today, 10:12 AM

9,397 posts, read 3,135,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
Insecticides will only make them grow bigger.

Old Today, 02:35 PM

23,315 posts, read 42,721,451 times
Here in AZ they can get quite large . . . I had to clear some out of my yard when I first moved here.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: