U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 08:22 AM

1 posts, read 794 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I’ve been thinking about moving to the Las Vegas / Henderson area of Nevada.

Since I’ve been moving around every year my entire life, this will be my first time buying a house and would be looking for a house with a pool and palm trees as that’s what I like.

I did a bunch a research on the area, and only one thing is preventing me from moving there. Scorpions. Ive been reading horror stores about them. Including home owners lying to the buyers about not having them and then have a bunch.

I also read to avoid palm trees and having a pool as they will attract more bugs therefore more scorpions. Not having palm trees or a pool would kill my idea of a dream home, so having them is a must.

I’m currently living in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and I’ve had to deal with palmetto bugs(American cockroaches) when I first moved into the house and they were gone within a month. (Bug bombed and had a exterminator come out). Haven’t seen any bugs inside for almost a year.

So my questions.

On average how much does a exterminator charge to get rid of scorpions? Spray and black light/hunt.

Is there a good way to check the house before buying?

How effective are good exterminators on getting rid of scorpions permanently? Would I have to have the exterminator come out every 2 months forever?

Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2021, 08:30 AM

902 posts, read 377,943 times
There have been MULTIPLE posts on here by people saying they have never seen a scorpion in Vegas or seen one once or twice in 10 or 20 years. I have not lived there yet but been there over 50 times and never seen one there. Not sure this is much of a concern.

Old 04-03-2021, 09:48 AM

121 posts, read 51,920 times
I lived in Las Vegas for about 1.5 years (combined in two stints) and my sister has lived there for 2.5 years now. Neither of us has ever seen a scorpion. My house did not have a pool, but there were plenty of palm trees around. My sister's apartment complex has a pool (but she's not too close to it) but she has palm trees all around, too.

Old 04-03-2021, 10:56 AM

17,297 posts, read 7,369,798 times
In over 22 year of selling real estate in Las Vegas we have actually seen one house that was infested with scorpions. We called off the sale and the owner than tented the home.

We have seen a dozen places with obvious scorpions. Had one lady buy one and she, her kids and a neighbor wiped them out in a couple of month. Basically hunted them down with UV flashlights and hit them with a club. Took two months for them to be rid of them.

Over our 26 years here we have seen them only once. Our next door neighbor bought a set of landscaping bushes that apparently came from the Phoenix area. Gardener found a few and we and the neighbor went on a hunt. After a couple of months no more and have not seen one in a couple of years. We actually had one in the house for a couple of days but it successfully dodged us. Finally nailed the little bugger in the open and sent it off to meet its ancestors.

So in general do not panic. The scorpion infestations are very local...three or four homes at most. And if you hunt them down and clean out the nest they are gone.

Old 04-03-2021, 11:02 AM

178 posts, read 306,635 times
I have been here 20 years. It is a hit or miss. Some places are infested. Some see only a few a year and others will never see one. I have lived in several different houses and apartments through the years and never saw 1 in any place I lived. I was a real estate agent for awhile and saw quite a few houses with major issues. One place had about 100 in the front room. We all ran out screaming. LOL! No joke. I also, always do a blacklight inspection before committing to buying or renting, as well as speaking to several neighbors. Exterminators CANNOT get rid of them by spraying. The good ones will admit this to you. It takes a lot of work to slow them down and most never get rid of them. There are lots of posts here for you to read about it.

Old 04-03-2021, 01:38 PM

110 posts, read 42,595 times
I've seen and killed one in my four years living here. I don't want to see any more of them.

Old 04-03-2021, 03:44 PM

14,203 posts, read 27,302,641 times
I have lived in Las Vegas FT since 2008 and have spent time here since the 1970's and I have never seen one yet. The only one I have ever seen was in Texas. And BTW there are fewer bug here than anywhere I have ever lived.

Old 04-03-2021, 04:57 PM

17,297 posts, read 7,369,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I have lived in Las Vegas FT since 2008 and have spent time here since the 1970's and I have never seen one yet. The only one I have ever seen was in Texas. And BTW there are fewer bug here than anywhere I have ever lived.
I got you by a few years. I started doing tech guy for the marketing folk in Las Vegas in the late 60s.

In the 199s I did it a good bit. A little different though in that I had a private jet to get me there in the morning and home in the evening. Only bad news is the boss was very client oriented and our 7PM back to LA would often leave at 2AM. And missing it would not have been terrible as the boss also had a whale suite on the strip.

Moved here in 1996 and eventually stumbled on our house which was a FSBO. Worked a deal to get our agent 1.5% to do the transaction. She and we and the seller were all happy. She actually made a big mistake that could have caused big problems lbut at that time I lacked sufficient knowledge and missed it.

Old 04-03-2021, 06:10 PM

6,996 posts, read 7,230,696 times
I’m in Henderson up against the rocks with a view of the Valley, so you’d think maybe more big issues but not at all so far. It also probably helps in a wealthy neighborhood, everyone has pest control. It’s not expensive. They do a great job and the bugs I’ve seen have all been totally mundane almost like from Portland (which as much as I hate that city is maybe one of the best in the world for zero dangerous or awful bugs, never saw a cockroach in 30 years living there, they hate the place as much as I do). I’ve seen some silverfish especially when we moved in, which I heard is because they like to eat paper and things that are left behind at construction sites around us? Anyway, struggled with regular silverfish sightings for maybe 3 months then haven’t seen more than 1 or 2 in the next year plus. We saw a small spider or two, that’s about it. I’ve rescued about 5 bees and 1 bat (!) from drowning in my pool hahaha but screw the other bugs I scoop them right into the filter where they can die. The bees are appreciative of being saved hahaha in my mind!

I have seen roaches on the Strip, I’ve seen them in another neighborhood (sidewalk), and one time walking to the mailbox here - yuck. But never anywhere close to my house thankfully and I’ve never seen a scorpion.

As for palm trees, I get you because I LOVE palm trees but the fact is I don’t want them in my backyard. I don’t want anything big and tall that sheds into my pool. I have a beautiful view and can see all of the palm trees my heart desires from that view and I don’t have to take care of any of them. Just a suggestion because I do feel your desire, I’ve loved them since I was a kid, but realized fast that because of scorpions and maintenance and shedding I didn’t want them anywhere near my pool.

Old 04-04-2021, 01:57 AM

1,271 posts, read 1,073,120 times
Good friend of mine is having a scorpion problem in his home right now in northwest area of Vegas. He's counted 5 inside his house total and 2 have made it to the second floor. They do exist in spots of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: