U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Las Vegas ban ornamental grass?
Yes, ban it. 36 70.59%
No, don't ban it. 15 29.41%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 01:38 AM

1,271 posts, read 1,073,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
Have any of you been to Lake Mead recently? We just went out there last month. The water levels are dangerously low. You can see the water line on the rocks and it's the size of a football field. They already moved the docks further out for it according to locals who live out there. They say they've never seen it this low in at least 30 years they told us. We don't have the water resources for all the incoming people over the next decade. Our capacity is limited unless we can pull mass amounts of water from the air. I say do away with the ornamental grass. Every bit adds up. Though according to climate change predictions we all won't want to be living here in 30 years anyways. Summer is already six months out of the year here. I can't imagine it getting longer and hotter than it already is.
Next year- there will likely be a water shortage declared for the region. I linked an article in first post. SNWA is currently partnering with Imperial Irrigation District in So. Cal right now to help them pay for a recycling/reuse program for their residential water use. Upon completion, in exchange, NV will be given an additional portion of their Colorado River water allotment. It should be available within a few years from now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2021, 01:55 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,655,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Stemi View Post
Next year- there will likely be a water shortage declared for the region. I linked an article in first post. SNWA is currently partnering with Imperial Irrigation District in So. Cal right now to help them pay for a recycling/reuse program for their residential water use. Upon completion, in exchange, NV will be given an additional portion of their Colorado River water allotment. It should be available within a few years from now.
That's good to hear for now.

Old 04-14-2021, 06:36 AM

6,598 posts, read 3,748,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreRJ View Post
Water rates are the same for everyone so how do we raise water rates for one house that has grass vs the next that doesn't? How do we charge more for those with pools that evaporate more than others with covers or don't have pools? It's not like a mileage tax at the gas pump or something.

Also, mileage tax is needed b/c those with electric cars that don't pay for the road tax that regular people pay at the gas pump to the tune of 30-60 cents a gallon. That's a tax on the poor and free tax breaks for the tesla crowd.

BTW tesla's are heavier than same size gas cars so they wear/tear more on the road. So we should tax them for miles driven, like we do for cars that use pump gas.

How about anyone who wants grass can import the water they want to use to feed it? Make their home water the same but irrigation water disconnected from the water source. That way they can pay a tanker to bring them 1000 gallons of water each month. I don't know where they put that water tank but at least that way they are paying for it.
How about escalating water rates based on levels of usage?

X gallons = X per gallon
XY gallons = X*2 per gallon over X
XYZ gallons = X*5 per gallon over XY.

How about second water meters for irrigation with a much higher rate? Here in my MA town, we get secondary meters to avoid paying sewer charges on irrigation but they can also serve to charge higher rates for outdoor water use.

Old 04-18-2021, 01:40 PM

17,297 posts, read 7,369,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Stemi View Post
Agsain from the other thread...

Nevada is not currently using its full Colorado River allocation and a shortage declaration is not expected to impact current water users, but water conservation remains an ongoing priority.
https://www.snwa.com/water-resources...ply/index.html

Old 04-21-2021, 04:37 AM

6,996 posts, read 7,230,696 times
I’m all for banning it - it’s wasteful. We can’t have a “everyone do what they want” attitude with water, let’s be honest, I’m a total libertarian and freedom loving guy but when it comes to something as basic as water, we really are all in this together. We have to do the best we can within reason. Banning swimming pools in a place that’s beautiful year around and hot for six months of the year would destroy property values, tourism, and be utterly idiotic. But ripping out pointless grass in unused places is a great stop gap and aid to water conservation.

I’ll admit to extreme annoyance over anyone who has grass anywhere on their property frankly, I just think it’s obnoxious. You can go live anywhere else! You’re in desert, act like it. Deserts are beautiful, I love xeriscaping, and if deserts aren’t for you and you find them ugly, simple solution - move! It’s not like there’s a shortage of bad weather states with grass everywhere. I can’t think of a single thing more boring than grass. It absolutely sucks. I’m sure if you’re using it for your dog to poop on it’s fantastic or you want to throw a football around in a park, alright. But as decoration? It’s like could you find anything more mundane than an outdoor green carpet? Blah.

One major problem in the US and the world is when people move to other places and instead of making some honest attempt to fit in and realize this place has some of its own unique cultural things, you just insist on bringing your past with you. “Well I had grass in Michigan!” Cool story bro! Michigan has lots of things that don’t fly here, so try to keep up with the program. Water conservation is a team effort and a community effort and it’s not like it hurts you to put in turf if you want some green grass look. It doesn’t hurt you if the medians or random spaces have desert landscaping instead of grass either. It’s a different location and should ideally look it too.

Old 04-25-2021, 11:12 PM

4 posts, read 582 times
I noticed in my neighborhood they’re taking out a lot of the grass.

Old 04-25-2021, 11:46 PM

694 posts, read 546,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Agsain from the other thread...

Nevada is not currently using its full Colorado River allocation and a shortage declaration is not expected to impact current water users, but water conservation remains an ongoing priority.
That link doesn't seem to work.

Old 04-26-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusVelo View Post
That link doesn't seem to work.
Try this one...

It is in the first sub page called "Colorado River"

Do not know what happened though it may be SNWA consolidated some pages.

Old 04-27-2021, 03:42 PM

694 posts, read 546,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Try this one...

It is in the first sub page called "Colorado River"

Do not know what happened though it may be SNWA consolidated some pages.
So the question for me is, if the river flow is reduced and is allocated at a higher percentage than is possible, how much self determination does Nevada have? The Feds typically threaten a hammer to get plans hammered out between the states. And a new compact is coming in like 2026 right?

Old 04-27-2021, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusVelo View Post
So the question for me is, if the river flow is reduced and is allocated at a higher percentage than is possible, how much self determination does Nevada have? The Feds typically threaten a hammer to get plans hammered out between the states. And a new compact is coming in like 2026 right?
Practically you might want to take a look at the third pickup recently installed by Las Vegas. It is set at the bottom of Lake Mead and will be the only pickup working if the level falls below the dam spillways.

And politically it is basic universally believed that Nevada was screwed in the Colorado River Compact.

The practical and the political almost guarantees that Las Vegas will do well if it gets to be a problem.

You know there is another interesting thing potentially available. Lake Mead (and Powell) could be set up as massive energy storage facilities.

A huge number of acre-feet could be stored and then used to keep the electric grid healthy in times of stress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: