Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Las Vegas ban ornamental grass?
Yes, ban it. 57 72.15%
No, don't ban it. 22 27.85%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 05:54 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,480,576 times

Advertisements

Let's talk water. What do you all think of this proposal? I think it's a good idea to help further secure sustained water resources here in Southern Nevada. Grass such as in the image below, should be replaced with xeriscaping. Further, a water shortage is expected to be declared next year due to the fact the surface level of Lake Mead continues to decline.

Quote:
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A desert city built on a reputation for excess and indulgence wants to become a model for restraint and conservation with a first-in-the-nation policy banning grass that nobody walks on.

Las Vegas-area water officials have spent two decades trying to get people to replace thirsty greenery with desert plants, and now they’re asking the Nevada Legislature to outlaw roughly 40% of the turf that’s left.

The Southern Nevada Water Authority estimates there are almost 8 square miles (21 square kilometers) of “nonfunctional turf” in the metro area — grass that no one ever walks on or otherwise uses in street medians, housing developments and office parks.

They say this ornamental grass requires four times as much water as drought-tolerant landscaping like cactus and other succulents. By ripping it out, they estimate the region can reduce annual water consumption by roughly 15% and save about 14 gallons (53 liters) per person per day.

https://apnews.com/article/legislatu...08a635e2c98346

https://www.ktnv.com/news/further-dr...ge-declaration

Last edited by Code Stemi; 04-11-2021 at 06:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 06:41 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Added a poll to make it easy to see the extent people are for or against the idea.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-12-2021, 06:58 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,023,557 times
I had a neighbor in Winchester who insisted on having a green grass lawn:

"I moved here from Southern CA, I had a nice green lawn there and I'm going to have a nice green lawn here no matter how much the water bill is."

If you drive up into the historical districts of Phoenix you'll see green grass lawns everywhere, they refuse to surrender!

Here in Tucson, if you see a house with a green grass lawn, consider it an hallucination, as water is very expensive here.

I'm lucky enough to live in a 55+ mobile home co-op, established 1963, and back then, you had your own well, and due to that, we have nice grassy areas in different parts of the community, and I love it, and my ferret loves it even more.

I lived at Greenbriar Townhouse complex, 433 units, near DI/Pecos, established 1969, and even when I left there 2-3 years ago, there were green lawns everywhere. The residents insist that green grass remains, as the community is called Greenbriar and not Brownbriar! Up the street at Heritage Square South and Braewood, the green lawns also remain as these communities all date back to 1970 or so.

Old 04-12-2021, 09:10 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
Yes, banned for using city water. Wells or grey water no ban.

Old 04-12-2021, 09:27 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I see the point but it's not really fair, when you consider that people topping up their swimming pools to replace evaporation loss use more water than it takes to water a small lawn. Also, people could use gray water on their lawn, or plant a drought resistant type. Better to simply have an inclining rate structure and charge a lot more for water above the average inside use, 80-100 GPD, and let the consumer choose how they use the higher cost water or not.

Old 04-12-2021, 11:01 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I see the point but it's not really fair, when you consider that people topping up their swimming pools to replace evaporation loss use more water than it takes to water a small lawn.
It turns out that's not true. It takes more water to keep grass green than the evaporation replenishment amount for a swimming pool of the same surface area.

Old 04-12-2021, 11:02 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
I voted to ban such ornamental grass, but I think it should be conditional upon the State of California also banning it in the locations served by the Colorado River. After all, I don't see why we should ban it just so California has more water to waste. Ditto with Arizona and Mexico.

Old 04-12-2021, 08:31 PM

1,086 posts, read 745,106 times
I thought Nevada was about less restrictions and less laws!? I vote NO ban! Let California enact such a law but not Nevada! If municipalities want to rip out ornamental lawns, as was done in my almost former home in California, then so beit. Don't need a law for it though!

Old 04-13-2021, 03:02 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,480,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
I thought Nevada was about less restrictions and less laws!? I vote NO ban! Let California enact such a law but not Nevada! If municipalities want to rip out ornamental lawns, as was done in my almost former home in California, then so beit. Don't need a law for it though!
What? So what is your solution to our water problems here? Your post comes off as very much NIMBY.

Old 04-13-2021, 08:28 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
Don’t ban it but make it costly. Anyone who wants it can pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: