U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 01:47 PM

3 posts, read 1,538 times

Advertisements

DW and myself are retired and would like to buy a condo in Las Vegas as second home. We're 60+ and would prefer a senior friendly area. Are there any specific condo communities (up to $350k 2 bedroom 2 bath) you could recommend? Schools and golf courses are not important. Location, cleanliness, no crime, close to airport, restaurants and groceries are....

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2021, 02:08 PM

7,042 posts, read 5,968,488 times
Our 55+ community, Sun City Anthem, has villas — which are similar to duplexes — where the exteriors are maintained by the HOA. Most of the community is regular single family housing, but there are some as mentioned both in Sun City Anthem and in the neighboring 55+ community of Solara. $350K would probably be at the low end, but might be possible.

The smaller single family houses in Solara, Sun City Anthem and most of the 55+ communities really require very little maintenance. Here’s one in your budget in Solara.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M19523-21506

Old 04-15-2021, 10:13 AM

how much would the monthly heating, cooling and water/sewer bill look like for a 1200 sq foot home in vegas?

Old 04-17-2021, 04:38 PM

17,304 posts, read 7,395,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofarsogoood View Post
how much would the monthly heating, cooling and water/sewer bill look like for a 1200 sq foot home in vegas?
Varies widely. There is for instance Sun City Aliante which was built late by Del Webb with very good insulation. Probably half the utility bill of the older Sun Cities. The town houses often have the external landscaping taken care of by the association so no external water use.

For that size home figure $40 to $80 monthly on average.

Note that most of the 55+ condos are town houses. Mostly duplexes. Basically attached on one wall.

The base HOA fee in most of the Sun Cities is between $100 and $150. The town homes HOAs are about the same price but they cover virtually all external stuff like paint and roofs and landscaping. This is on top of the base HOA fee.

There are also some deluxe active mature ones like Trilogy. They are very nice and new but over twice the cost of the regular 55+ Condos. Pretty likely outside of your price range.

Old 04-17-2021, 04:54 PM

474 posts, read 237,292 times
I thought those smallish townhome bungalows in sun city Summerlin looked pretty classy... Neighborhood had matured nicely, not so sure about the residents... but it was well thought out aesthetically. Low crime, nice sidewalks...

Old 04-17-2021, 05:55 PM

921 posts, read 858,605 times
Senior friendly vs 55+ is a big difference. If you value peace and quiet, 55+ is probably a better choice, though you can never tell who your next door neighbors are going to be. I will never live in a condo again, only single family homes. Too many issues with noisy neighbors, kids, dogs etc. I'm in a non 55+ community now and so far it hasn't been too bad with kids, but dogs is a different story. Too many people have dogs and don't control the barking. I can't imagine living in a condo with a neighbor who has kids and dogs that bark. At least in 55+, there aren't any kids. Really, I'm not a grouchy old man, but I don't like hearing screaming kids or barking dogs.

Old 04-17-2021, 07:44 PM

912 posts, read 382,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
I thought those smallish townhome bungalows in sun city Summerlin looked pretty classy... Neighborhood had matured nicely, not so sure about the residents... but it was well thought out aesthetically. Low crime, nice sidewalks...
Agreed. We have friends there and I have driven around it a fair amount. It's aged well I think.

Old 04-17-2021, 08:04 PM

thank you for all your replies. in our next visit we will have to drive around summerlin and henderson. our trips to las vegas have been mostly sightseeing. how is the water / drought situation in las vegas?

Old 04-17-2021, 10:08 PM

1,272 posts, read 1,078,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofarsogoood View Post
how is the water / drought situation in las vegas?
Dismal. Not the greatest. Lots of long term water resource questions up in the air

Old 04-18-2021, 09:47 AM

17,304 posts, read 7,395,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Stemi View Post
Dismal. Not the greatest. Lots of long term water resource questions up in the air
Not much of a problem. More than enough water to maintain growth for a couple more decades. Note that Las Vegas draws from above the dam while the rest of the SW users are below it.

Drought is not a condition here. We basically get so little rain it makes little difference. We exist off the Colorado River.

In fact the aquifers below Las Vegas have been rising for the last couple of decades. That is water coming under the Spring Mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: