U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 03:09 PM

942 posts, read 1,292,004 times

Advertisements

I think that’s the answer for sure!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2021, 04:26 PM

9,161 posts, read 3,018,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe weed View Post
...am paying 52 a month for 50 mbps with Cox.
I believe that is your download speed - for watching netflix & surfing it is fine. Actually, it is overkill - you could probably do fine with 5 Mbps for netflix & surfing.

For cameras & ring doorbell, the download speed (50 Mbps) is largely irrelevant. It is your upload speed that matters - you are uploading data (video) rather than downloading.

Last edited by RationalExpectations; 04-16-2021 at 04:56 PM..

Old 04-17-2021, 10:52 PM

770 posts, read 492,526 times
T-Mobile is now offering broadband internet for $60/month with no data limits. It is a competitor to COX. The catch is that you must also subscribe to a voice plan with T-Mobile. Unfortunately, my pre-paid minutes plan doesn't count.

I noticed COX is now offering $4 off my normal monthly price of $66 and change if I sign a two year contract with a $243 early exit penalty. I'm not sure if this is in response to T-Mobile, but it's a pretty weak response if so.

For now I'll stick to COX since I rarely use a cell phone. But it is getting tempting to finally take the plunge and get a smart phone. My OOMA IP phone costs only $5/month so you just can't beat that on price.

Old 04-18-2021, 12:52 AM

6,884 posts, read 7,164,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
We used CenturyLink in our house in zip 89052, we very happy with it. then we moved 3 miles away and it wasn’t available. Now we have Cox. Its ok but more expensive.
I was curious about this... I use Cox fiber and pay for the extra 500 gigs, the Internet alone without the cable considered is $170/month. CenturyLink has fiber now for $65 and it’s unlimited so I’m thinking of switching but I want to make sure it’s as reliable as Cox fiber, which never has any issues.

Old 04-18-2021, 09:26 AM

2,192 posts, read 1,388,339 times
Before you switch to CenturyLink google 'most hated companies'.

Old 04-18-2021, 06:30 PM

884 posts, read 362,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I was curious about this... I use Cox fiber and pay for the extra 500 gigs, the Internet alone without the cable considered is $170/month. CenturyLink has fiber now for $65 and it’s unlimited so I’m thinking of switching but I want to make sure it’s as reliable as Cox fiber, which never has any issues.
On various Vegas forums and what not I have seen a lot of negativity toward CenturyLink. FWIW. I like the idea of saving over $100/month but a lot of negativity toward them for some reason.

Old 04-19-2021, 12:33 AM

2,882 posts, read 801,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmiller9 View Post
T-Mobile is now offering broadband internet for $60/month with no data limits. It is a competitor to COX. The catch is that you must also subscribe to a voice plan with T-Mobile. Unfortunately, my pre-paid minutes plan doesn't count.

I noticed COX is now offering $4 off my normal monthly price of $66 and change if I sign a two year contract with a $243 early exit penalty. I'm not sure if this is in response to T-Mobile, but it's a pretty weak response if so.

For now I'll stick to COX since I rarely use a cell phone. But it is getting tempting to finally take the plunge and get a smart phone. My OOMA IP phone costs only $5/month so you just can't beat that on price.
I have been using the T-Mobile internet for about 8 months in Las Vegas, similar use - although mine is $50/mo fixed. I replaced the Cox internet that kept having the same issue as yours. I replaced my Ooma with Obi and google voice - no cost per month so can beat it.

Old 04-19-2021, 07:54 AM

884 posts, read 362,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
I have been using the T-Mobile internet for about 8 months in Las Vegas, similar use - although mine is $50/mo fixed. I replaced the Cox internet that kept having the same issue as yours. I replaced my Ooma with Obi and google voice - no cost per month so can beat it.
What speed is the T-mobile?

Old 04-19-2021, 01:25 PM

27 posts, read 41,622 times
Switched to century link when fiber became available, have had it for two months now. Would have never switched before it was fiber. $65 a month unlimited gigabit. I'm not getting that speed but I am consistently getting 350-400 Mbps range which is excellent for the price. No problems yet. Live in 89129 near Lone Mountain.

Old 04-19-2021, 04:10 PM

12,668 posts, read 25,158,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
What I am saying is that I kept having my separate modem and router go offline. I assumed it was either the fact I didn’t have a combo router and modem or the router when offline required someone to reboot it. That’s why I got the Nighthawk . In your case, besides getting a docis 3 modem (if yours isn’t) I think you might be having problems due to your low 50 mbps speed. I certainly could be wrong but it might be worth a try. Just my opinion.
im no longer in Vegas but in Florida. My internet speed here is 30-40mps. Terrible but im in the country. Im running 4 Wyze Cameras and a Nest Camera with the Arris combo modem with no reset issues.... Its not the speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: