U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 11:49 AM

12,737 posts, read 25,400,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Does he also need to get a smog test here? Is there a timeframe before his appointment that it is required (such as within 30 days or something?)
yes and I think 90 days
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 12:45 PM

4 posts, read 971 times
To clarify: I will be maintaining my primary residence in California. All my mail will still be sent there and I will be returning to that home during my breaks. There is no chance I will be staying in Nevada past the 3 years. I will not be expected to file income tax in California due to safe harbor provisions, just like my last 3 years in Maryland.

Old 04-22-2021, 01:02 PM

4 posts, read 971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
I assume that you have seen [URL="https://dmvnv.com/newresident.htm"]this page[/URL] for the Nevada DMV. It seems rather clear that you must register the car in NV. As a former CA resident who had AAA auto insurance in CA and changed over in NV, I can tell you that AAA is EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE in Nevada. Shop around and you might save 50%.

FWIW, you do not need to change title to NV. I don't know why anyone would want to have auto title in one state and registration in another, but the NV DMV stressed that I had the option when I changed the registration on my vehicle.
That's good to know. Thanks for the information.

Regarding that DMV page, I guess my question is how Nevada defines their terminology.

* "Who physically resides in this state and engages in a trade, profession, occupation or accepts gainful employment in this state"

In other states, including California, there's a difference between where one resides and where one is domiciled. I will be keeping my house in California and will return to it during my breaks. I will continue to direct all my mail to the California address, including things related to my employment.

Furthermore, I recently found out that my friend (who is a resident of Nevada) actually has a spare room for me to stay at for the first 4 months, in which case I would not even be able to provide the state of Nevada a proof of residence as I will have no lease or utility bills to my name.

Old 04-22-2021, 11:06 PM

7,043 posts, read 7,351,322 times
For reasons that I don’t fully understand, some insurance companies just don’t seem to want to insure cars in this state so they give you laughable quotes. The driver ratings for Portland were just about as bad as for Las Vegas and worse than Henderson, but my company Chubb wanted to charge me like $5,000 per year not even joking for two cars, maybe it was even $6,000, I forget now. It was insane. That’s for two drivers where only I’ve ever had a speeding ticket and it was 15+ years ago! I also only put about 1,500 miles per year on my car, since I work from home. That quote was offensive and I took it that way, wrote them a letter explaining the facts and calling them liars for acting like there’s any more risk here whatsoever. I dropped them for car insurance after I’d used them my whole life and switched to Geico, $900/6 months so far, far cheaper, like 3x cheaper. Definitely pays to shop around!

My car insurance tends to be more expensive because I carry very large liability protection plus another umbrella policy up to $5 million excess liability.

Old 04-25-2021, 10:52 AM

12,737 posts, read 25,400,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
For reasons that I don’t fully understand, some insurance companies just don’t seem to want to insure cars in this state so they give you laughable quotes. The driver ratings for Portland were just about as bad as for Las Vegas and worse than Henderson, but my company Chubb wanted to charge me like $5,000 per year not even joking for two cars, maybe it was even $6,000, I forget now. It was insane. That’s for two drivers where only I’ve ever had a speeding ticket and it was 15+ years ago! I also only put about 1,500 miles per year on my car, since I work from home. That quote was offensive and I took it that way, wrote them a letter explaining the facts and calling them liars for acting like there’s any more risk here whatsoever. I dropped them for car insurance after I’d used them my whole life and switched to Geico, $900/6 months so far, far cheaper, like 3x cheaper. Definitely pays to shop around!

My car insurance tends to be more expensive because I carry very large liability protection plus another umbrella policy up to $5 million excess liability.
At $150 a month, for that amount of insurance , that is cheap.

Old 04-25-2021, 12:13 PM

9,940 posts, read 3,406,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_scoper View Post
To clarify: I will be maintaining my primary residence in California. All my mail will still be sent there and I will be returning to that home during my breaks. There is no chance I will be staying in Nevada past the 3 years. I will not be expected to file income tax in California due to safe harbor provisions, just like my last 3 years in Maryland.
I thought "safe harbor provisions" means paying in a minimum of the prior year's income tax obligation. I don't think California's tax code says you are exempt from filing a non-resident or resident income tax return.

Perhaps California has a special exemption for the military & certain government employees/contractors under specific circumstances (under the assumption such a thing applies to you). I don't keep up on that stuff.

Old 04-25-2021, 05:08 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,452,861 times
Quote:
I thought "safe harbor provisions" means paying in a minimum of the prior year's income tax obligation. I don't think California's tax code says you are exempt from filing a non-resident or resident income tax return.

Perhaps California has a special exemption for the military & certain government employees/contractors under specific circumstances (under the assumption such a thing applies to you). I don't keep up on that stuff.
That caught my eye as well, so I looked it up. From FTB1031:
Quote:
Safe Harbor

Safe harbor is available for certain individuals leaving California under employment-related contracts. The safe harbor provides that an individual domiciled in California who is outside California under an employment-related contract for an uninterrupted period of at least 546 consecutive days will be considered a nonresident unless any of the following is met:

The individual has intangible income exceeding $200,000 in any taxable year during which the employment-related contract is in effect.

The principal purpose of the absence from California is to avoid personal income tax.

Old 04-25-2021, 05:09 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,452,861 times
I should add here that even non-residents of CA must pay tax on all CA income.

Old 04-25-2021, 07:35 PM

9,940 posts, read 3,406,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
That caught my eye as well, so I looked it up. From FTB1031:
Great catch.

He would be considered a non-resident of California for California tax purposes. He would still need to file a 540NR and pay his income tax obligation. (of course if this is military related, that may have its own set of rules).

Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM

4 posts, read 971 times
Quote:
Great catch.

He would be considered a non-resident of California for California tax purposes. He would still need to file a 540NR and pay his income tax obligation. (of course if this is military related, that may have its own set of rules).
No, I would not. CA's FTB states:

"As a nonresident, you pay tax on your taxable income from California sources."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas