Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 08:15 PM

4 posts, read 3,305 times

Advertisements

Hello,

For my job, I will be temporarily relocating in Las Vegas for the next 3 years. I will be returning to my home state (California) thereafter. Previously, I temporarily relocated to Maryland for a similar situation, and I was able to register for a non-resident permit while maintaining my home state residency and keeping my out-of-state driver's license. I just had to confirm that my auto insurance company had coverage in Maryland.

However, my temporary move this time around is not so clear thanks to a fairly vague Nevada's DMV website for my situation. According to this DMV page (https://dmvnv.com/nvreg.htm):

Certain non-residents also must register their vehicles in Nevada. You must register your vehicle here:
* if you engage in a trade, profession or occupation or accept gainful employment in Nevada

How does this work? Do I get my car registered in Nevada but keep my out-of-state driver's license? Does it matter if my Nevada car registration address - being that of whatever apartment I end up renting - is different from my primary residence in my home state listed on my driver's license?

And - not to tread into a grey area - but can I get auto insurance coverage from a Nevada-based auto insurance agency if my car is registered out of state? I am with AAA which obviously has Nevada branches, and my current coverage should be easily transferable as my coverage minimums satisfy Nevada's legal requirements.

In essence, I'd prefer to not go through the hassle of changing plates and/or ID if I don't have to, given that I'd then have to change it back in a relatively short amount of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2021, 09:10 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,008,563 times
I assume that you have seen this page for the Nevada DMV. It seems rather clear that you must register the car in NV. As a former CA resident who had AAA auto insurance in CA and changed over in NV, I can tell you that AAA is EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE in Nevada. Shop around and you might save 50%.

FWIW, you do not need to change title to NV. I don't know why anyone would want to have auto title in one state and registration in another, but the NV DMV stressed that I had the option when I changed the registration on my vehicle.

Old 04-21-2021, 09:54 PM

1,086 posts, read 734,867 times
I would break all ties to California and save that state income tax for 3 years. Who knows maybe you won't go back!? Great time to sell your house if you own property in Cali. Market is on fire in most parts of Cali!

Old 04-22-2021, 08:06 AM

469 posts, read 489,565 times
Just don’t vote for Democrats that’s all we ask of you to do here.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:04 AM

10,581 posts, read 5,542,950 times
Assuming you are not a member of the US Armed Forces (if you are, ignore this post; there are special rules).

You should do the following:

1) Procure a place to live. Don't stay in corporate housing.
2) Get a Nevada driver's license.
3) Register your car in Nevada. Insure it in Nevada. Carry proof-of-insurance card for Nevada.
4) Change your address with your financial institutions (banks, investment brokerages, etc).
5) Change your address with your employer.
6) Register to vote in Nevada.
7) Use ATM machines in Nevada.
8) Find and visit doctors and dentists here in Nevada.
9) Keep a written diary/log of each day you are in Nevada and every day you are in California, assuming you go back there every now and then (e.g., holidays, maybe some weekends). Ensure you are physically resident inside Nevada for at least 6 months plus 1 day.
10) Pay for most things in Nevada using a credit card. When you are in California, use cash for incidentals and pay anything major (e.g., utilities on California real estate you own) via check mailed from Nevada. When you are in California, do not use ATM machines if you can avoid it.
11) Register to vote in Nevada.

Come next April 15, for income tax purposes, you will be a part year resident of California, and part year resident of Nevada. The year after that you will be a full time resident of Nevada for income tax purposes. You may have California-sourced income such as rental property, in which case you may need to file a CA-540NR with the California Franchise Tax Board.

You will be better off from an income tax perspective.

After 3 years, you may or may not actually return to California. Three years is a long time. If you do return to California, you reverse the process.

The above is a summary - you should actually consult a Nevada tax attorney or accountant.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Assuming you are not a member of the US Armed Forces (if you are, ignore this post; there are special rules).

You should do the following:

1) Procure a place to live. Don't stay in corporate housing.
2) Get a Nevada driver's license.
3) Register your car in Nevada. Insure it in Nevada. Carry proof-of-insurance card for Nevada.
4) Change your address with your financial institutions (banks, investment brokerages, etc).
5) Change your address with your employer.
6) Register to vote in Nevada.
7) Use ATM machines in Nevada.
8) Find and visit doctors and dentists here in Nevada.
9) Keep a written diary/log of each day you are in Nevada and every day you are in California, assuming you go back there every now and then (e.g., holidays, maybe some weekends). Ensure you are physically resident inside Nevada for at least 6 months plus 1 day.
10) Pay for most things in Nevada using a credit card. When you are in California, use cash for incidentals and pay anything major (e.g., utilities on California real estate you own) via check mailed from Nevada. When you are in California, do not use ATM machines if you can avoid it.
11) Register to vote in Nevada.

Come next April 15, for income tax purposes, you will be a part year resident of California, and part year resident of Nevada. The year after that you will be a full time resident of Nevada for income tax purposes. You may have California-sourced income such as rental property, in which case you may need to file a CA-540NR with the California Franchise Tax Board.

You will be better off from an income tax perspective.

After 3 years, you may or may not actually return to California. Three years is a long time. If you do return to California, you reverse the process.

The above is a summary - you should actually consult a Nevada tax attorney or accountant.
All great advice. Plus, actively disconnect from California. Send DMV paperwork showing you are registered in Nevada now. Someone said you can deregister to vote in Cali though I haven't looked into that yet.

Three years is a very long time.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:29 AM

I forgot to say make your Nevada DMV appointment about 90 days beforehand. We were able to time it perfectly with our move.

Old 04-22-2021, 11:39 AM

2,821 posts, read 4,458,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
As a former CA resident who had AAA auto insurance in CA and changed over in NV, I can tell you that AAA is EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE in Nevada. Shop around and you might save 50%.

as a lifelong AAA member & ex-CA resident, i didn't find the rates to be all that different in NV. maybe it's based on county?

Old 04-22-2021, 12:35 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,865,537 times
what year and make car do you drive? wait till you see how expensive license plates are... if a newer car, figure about 1.5% of MSRP. $50k car close to $750 a year for license plates

Old 04-22-2021, 12:47 PM

10,581 posts, read 5,542,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
I forgot to say make your Nevada DMV appointment about 90 days beforehand. We were able to time it perfectly with our move.
Does he also need to get a smog test here? Is there a timeframe before his appointment that it is required (such as within 30 days or something?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas