Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 10:18 PM

687 posts, read 4,404,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Dual systems are common in some areas. They are relatively rare here. Why is that? Because they don't work well in July and August. The efficiency drops off as the RH gets above 10%. At 105 and 20% you can maintain about 80 degrees. Above 105 or 20% RH you are out of luck...and cooling.

This is not rocket science. The performance figures are well known.

Two stage systems are reported as 10 to 20 % better...but are vastly more complicated. There are systems that combine evaporative and refrigeration but I understand they have some troubles here with the hard water. Ain't cheap.

If you are a real tough pioneer type save almost all the money. Run a fan and drink lots of water. Evaporative cooling at its best.
The evaporative refrigeration unit you are refering to is actually an air conditioning unit that has a water cooled condensor. This unit is made by Freus. I agree, I have heard some stories that they are hard to maintain here, they rate at about 19 seer which is darned efficient. There are several a/c manufactures that are starting to catch up to that efficiency with just the good old fashioned air cooled a/c units, but a steep price goes with them. I grew up in central Ca where a swamp cooler would only keep our house as low as 80 because it was so humid, but it was still fairly comfortable and dang cheaper than running the a/c. Anyone ever had to pay Ca electric rates? I know the humidity can go over 20% here, but it doesnt last that long. 2 stage units are not complicated at all, it's just a plastic heat exchanger with a fan on top and a water pump. Very reliable and cheap to fix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 02:05 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Many native Las Vegans that I've known have told me how their fathers or grandfathers rigged up a blanket in front of a window fan and ran the garden hose above it. They also told me about finding rattlesnakes under their kitchen sinks. But that was then. Now we have a/c...and no more snakes.

I wonder how the Piutes managed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas