Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 10:22 AM

29 posts, read 19,587 times

Advertisements

As hot and crazy as the current real estate market is, I'm considering using a Realtor that only charges 1% commission. At work I meet Realtors several times a day and they all say with the low inventory of available homes, I could realistically except to recieve many offers over list price, many that would waive appraisal and inspections, after holding a open house. My house would sell within a few days.

Has anyone used a 1% commission Realtor recently? Can you let me know your experience and give a recommendation?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2021, 10:40 AM

273 posts, read 208,070 times
After using (mod cut) to sell my home, I wouldn't pick anyone else. Smooth sale all the way around. He's a busy guy and I dealt with his assistant quite a bit by email which was just fine.

I think now sellers simply need a way to get their house on the MLS and for help with documents, HOAs and that sort of thing. Houses on MLS pretty much sell themselves. He'd have the other realtors contact me by text and I'd arrange the time for their clients to see my house. Easy and within days I had multiple offers and was out of the house in no time.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-06-2021 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: Cannot recommend realtors in open forums, can by sending a DM.

Old 05-06-2021, 10:57 AM

1,608 posts, read 2,014,888 times
I'm in the process of selling my home and I'm using a 1% percenter. If your home is in good shape it will sell itself.

Old 05-07-2021, 09:04 AM

1,086 posts, read 746,158 times
I am not a Realtor but have bought and sold a large number of homes. To me a good Realtor is worth it to help you stay unemotional in evaluating offers, keep the deal together through escrow, and to make things easier for you. If you are a DIYer than sure the 1% is great but if you like others to work for you pay 4 or 5% and get it done right. In this market it's all about getting a multitude of offers as you always want to have a solid back-up in place just in case. Plus more offers helps substantiate the appraisal needs. Offers 2 or 3% to the buyers agent does get you some buyers that you might not get if you do a 1% listing deal. Good luck with sale!

Old 05-07-2021, 10:39 AM

1,608 posts, read 2,014,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
I am not a Realtor but have bought and sold a large number of homes. To me a good Realtor is worth it to help you stay unemotional in evaluating offers, keep the deal together through escrow, and to make things easier for you. If you are a DIYer than sure the 1% is great but if you like others to work for you pay 4 or 5% and get it done right. In this market it's all about getting a multitude of offers as you always want to have a solid back-up in place just in case. Plus more offers helps substantiate the appraisal needs. Offers 2 or 3% to the buyers agent does get you some buyers that you might not get if you do a 1% listing deal. Good luck with sale!
My 1% Realtor offers 2.5% to buyer's agent. I had plenty of offers. As I said before, if your house is in good shape it'll sell itself in this ultra heated seller's market. Which is the case with my home, as I got well over list on the accepted offer.

Old 05-07-2021, 10:47 AM

1,086 posts, read 746,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
My 1% Realtor offers 2.5% to buyer's agent. I had plenty of offers. As I said before, if your house is in good shape it'll sell itself in this ultra heated seller's market. Which is the case with my home, as I got well over list on the accepted offer.
That's great. As they say as long as you feel good with the deal it's a good deal! Congrats on your success.

Old 05-08-2021, 03:09 PM

638 posts, read 594,129 times
Lets call it what it is, parasitic, bloodsucking behaviour.

5% is absolute robbery. Agents stick a lockbox on a door and think thats worth a 2.5% split of 5%. Absolutely insane.

In the uk the most i've ever paid is 1.4% (total, though there's only 1 agent there). For that money the all also include a detailed floorplan, and professionally taken photos.

realtors here are an absolute disgrace, and I have yet to be convinced that a single one is worth his money. Do your own homework figure out what you want and get it listed. Especially in a market like this. Anyone who says, ”my realtor was amazing he got me my asking price in 1 day!!” is basically saying their realtor listed it too cheap.

Old 05-08-2021, 05:13 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post

5% is absolute robbery. Agents stick a lockbox on a door and think thats worth a 2.5% split of 5%. Absolutely insane.

In the uk the most i've ever paid is 1.4% (total, though there's only 1 agent there). For that money the all also include a detailed floorplan, and professionally taken photos.

realtors here are an absolute disgrace, and I have yet to be convinced that a single one is worth his money. Do your own homework figure out what you want and get it listed. Especially in a market like this. Anyone who says, ”my realtor was amazing he got me my asking price in 1 day!!” is basically saying their realtor listed it too cheap.
It is a common talk subject in the industry. But it always come back as to how you end up with high skill agents. And even at the present level you often do not. I would suggest half the agents I deal with do not meet an acceptable level of competence. I have had to mainage both sides of way too many deals.

So cut it down to 1 percent to each side. Then see what happens. You end up with nothing but systematic operators who market well and do as little as possible. Then you will have a set of those who can't make a living and screw up even the simplest of deals. To retain those of us who are very competent at doing it well we need 3 or 4 deals a week to make it worth the trouble. It might be possible to work that by requiring much higher education and knowledge and then a 3 or 4 year apprenticeship under a skilled agent.

Want to spend a dull year or two try and get that past the big brokers...

Old 05-08-2021, 06:01 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,647,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post

Don't hold back, hotjambalaya; tell us how your REALLY feel.

Old 05-08-2021, 06:08 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,647,123 times
I tried a discount realtor about a decade ago. After 60 days, I had only received one extreme low-ball offer with highly unfavorable terms. I terminated my relationship with the discount guy and went with a well-known full-service team that focuses on higher end homes (>$1 million). I had a good offer two days later.

At the time, I suspected full service realtors consciously decide not to show the properties listed by discount realtors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas