U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-05-2021, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Southern Highlands
2,218 posts, read 1,411,028 times
Reputation: 1938

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
Not sure how that has do with anything but that is, by definition, how free market economics works. Medically, there is no cure for the cold, but the free market has created medicine to make your body feel better when you are sick
The point is that free markets might eventually find a solution for any problem, but there is no guarantee that it will be within your lifetime (or your grandchildren's).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-06-2021, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Way up high
18,323 posts, read 23,727,314 times
Reputation: 22332
Do not lease. You will not get the tax benefits. It will go to the leasing company. Buy only
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2021, 06:27 PM
 
Location: North Las Vegas
83 posts, read 64,921 times
Reputation: 184
If you have Netflix,

Planet of the humans

If you haven’t figured out how to live without being lazy, it’s diminishing returns.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2021, 08:30 AM
 
906 posts, read 380,014 times
Reputation: 1066
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post

As for which company, Sol Up seems to have the best and highest ratings. I had mixed feelings about them because the representative who I talked to sounded very unenergetic and boring. There are many companies that will say they know their stuff and they are the best. I'd go with the company that 1) knows their stuff, 2) treats you like a human being and not a sales number, 3) is a person who you can contact at anytime even after the panels are installed and turned on. Home Depot is partnered up with SunRise. When I contacted their rep, he sounded really nice and energetic but the ratings were very concerning.

I met with the Sol Up rep this week and he was really sharp. Good personality and was very good at presenting the information. Sounds like a different person than you met with. They seem a little more user friendly than another company I talked to. Just for example, Sol Up said they'll take care of the HOA approval whereas the other company said I would have to. It's not a big deal but I like done-for-you service. We have other issues in that we have clay tiles on our roof and according to Sol Up that adds "at least $5,000" to the cost. Anyway, not sure which company we will use, or if we might hold off a few years, but was impressed with Sol Up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2021, 11:24 AM
 
332 posts, read 165,769 times
Reputation: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
I met with the Sol Up rep this week and he was really sharp. Good personality and was very good at presenting the information. Sounds like a different person than you met with. They seem a little more user friendly than another company I talked to. Just for example, Sol Up said they'll take care of the HOA approval whereas the other company said I would have to. It's not a big deal but I like done-for-you service. We have other issues in that we have clay tiles on our roof and according to Sol Up that adds "at least $5,000" to the cost. Anyway, not sure which company we will use, or if we might hold off a few years, but was impressed with Sol Up.
If I could go back in time or redo the buyer experience, I would have gone with Sol Up. All it takes is one bad/boring/lousy representative to bring down the overall reputation of a company. I've seen it happen. Sol Up has some competition though. A lot of solar companies are getting more aggressive. Representatives are getting clever and creative with how they market their services. Doesn't mean the service is bad. It just means people are getting creative with how they compete with the big companies.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2021, 02:29 AM
 
Location: Orange County/Las Vegas
1,895 posts, read 2,163,453 times
Reputation: 1790
Has anyone asked Sol Up which panels they will be using after Panasonic discontinues? Maybe better to wait til they start selling the new panels. Also I would be curious as to why Panasonic is discontinuing them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2021, 08:19 AM
 
906 posts, read 380,014 times
Reputation: 1066
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
Has anyone asked Sol Up which panels they will be using after Panasonic discontinues? Maybe better to wait til they start selling the new panels. Also I would be curious as to why Panasonic is discontinuing them.
Sol Up told me that Panasonic is not discontinuing but is changing it's manufacturer but will still have Panasonic name and warranty. Again, just what they told me. I have no clue what's reality.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2021, 04:35 PM
 
244 posts, read 588,460 times
Reputation: 416
I went with Titan, had good experience with them. Spent $36,000 on a single story 3 bed house and I am getting 26% tax rebate so final cost would be $26,640.

NV Energy has net metering so if you send energy back to the grid they pay you 90 cents to the dollar. I am planning to install a swamp cooler tied into my A/C ductwork so that I can switch between A/C and swamp cooler depending on the humidity. Cost of swamp cooler and ductwork install would pay back in a year of net metering, and I figure to get back at least $500 a year in net metering if I use the swamp cooler most of the time.......kinda worried though, I've never seen this much cloudy days in the past year then the years before.

Better to buy than lease.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2021, 07:25 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas & San Diego
2,990 posts, read 845,945 times
Reputation: 3637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Your plan is to not have a plan.
Your plan is to poke others and offer no solutions or seriously discuss the alternatives

All forms of energy generation produce some waste or pollution, it is disingenuous to only criticize solar panels that have a 20+ year life and produce minimal waste compared to the ongoing pollution of most other energy generation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2021, 07:42 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX and Las Vegas, NV
7,041 posts, read 5,957,749 times
Reputation: 15856
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_traveler1 View Post
I went with Titan, had good experience with them. Spent $36,000 on a single story 3 bed house and I am getting 26% tax rebate so final cost would be $26,640.

NV Energy has net metering so if you send energy back to the grid they pay you 90 cents to the dollar. I am planning to install a swamp cooler tied into my A/C ductwork so that I can switch between A/C and swamp cooler depending on the humidity. Cost of swamp cooler and ductwork install would pay back in a year of net metering, and I figure to get back at least $500 a year in net metering if I use the swamp cooler most of the time.......kinda worried though, I've never seen this much cloudy days in the past year then the years before.

Better to buy than lease.
Thanks! I will pursue owner vs. lease. One of my questions to myself has been how serious I am about staying in the house indefinitely since my past pattern has been getting bored with places and moving. I just spent $21K on a combination of Crimsafe screens and rolling shutters (shutters for the view windows because the screens do slightly impact clarity) and the ROI on the security (we have few valuables in the house - DH has joked the screens cost more than anything burglars can take) is certainly not anywhere as good as solar — just for peace of mind. So, I have to ask myself if I’m ok with spending that amount for security, why not do the same for solar...at age 72, I won’t have to worry about replacing the solar in 20 years....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top