U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 11:49 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,411,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Your plan is to poke others and offer no solutions or seriously discuss the alternatives

All forms of energy generation produce some waste or pollution, it is disingenuous to only criticize solar panels that have a 20+ year life and produce minimal waste compared to the ongoing pollution of most other energy generation.
Please define "minimal waste" and show your work.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2021, 02:00 PM

2,990 posts, read 845,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Please define "minimal waste" and show your work.
Yet again you just poke and no solution or proof of your claims. That is not a plan either. Try to make a contribution to the conversation instead of just being a PITA.

All power generation has some pollution - solar is "minimal" in relation to the alternatives. From 2011 report "Comparison of Lifecycle Greenhouse Gas Emissions of Various Electricity Generation Sources"

- Solar is listed at 85 tons of carbon dioxide equivalent (CO2e) per gigawatt-hour (GWh)
- Natural gas came in at 499 CO2e/GWh
- Coal was 888 CO2e/GWh.

You are the one asserting that solar is "dirty" without any proof or quantifying in relation to the alternatives.

Last edited by ddeemo; 05-10-2021 at 02:10 PM..

Old 05-10-2021, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Yet again you just poke and no solution or proof of your claims. That is not a plan either. Try to make a contribution to the conversation instead of just being a PITA.

All power generation has some pollution - solar is "minimal" in relation to the alternatives. From 2011 report "Comparison of Lifecycle Greenhouse Gas Emissions of Various Electricity Generation Sources"

- Solar is listed at 85 tons of carbon dioxide equivalent (CO2e) per gigawatt-hour (GWh)
- Natural gas came in at 499 CO2e/GWh
- Coal was 888 CO2e/GWh.

You are the one asserting that solar is "dirty" without any proof or quantifying in relation to the alternatives.
Do you assert that solar panels do not contain toxic materials? A careful reading of my comment would have shown that I was not referring to CO2.

Old 05-10-2021, 05:41 PM

Additional reading for the student:
Quote:
According to cancer biologist David H. Nguyen, PhD, toxic chemicals in solar panels include cadmium telluride, copper indium selenide, cadmium gallium (di)selenide, copper indium gallium (di)selenide, hexafluoroethane, lead, and polyvinyl fluoride. Silicon tetrachloride, a byproduct of producing crystalline silicon, is also highly toxic.

Old 05-10-2021, 08:04 PM

2,990 posts, read 845,945 times
Quote:
Do you assert that solar panels do not contain toxic materials? A careful reading of my comment would have shown that I was not referring to CO2.
I did nothing of the sort but again you provide no data you still have made no verifiable claim - just poke at others. What you are implying is that solar is more impact to the environment but provide no proof.

Maybe this will help - Compare pollution from solar to the most used alternatives such as NG and coal - show your work.

Manufacturing is not the source of environmental pollution because can be contained and reused for the next panel or until disposed of properly. Highly toxic does not mean environmentally unfriendly, many manufacturing processes use toxic cancer causing chemicals in their process. On the other hand, power plants spew cancer causing chemicals into the environment that is not contained.

Many retail products and things used every day are technically cancer causing - here is CA list of Cancer causing chemicals - there are over 1000 items on the list - many of which are in everyday products. Cadmium, which you listed, is found naturally in things like fish and leafy vegetables. As a matter of fact, most of what you list like cadmium, copper, lead and fluoride are present in many foods - some are even added to water treatment and vitamins.

I will give you some help to start - power plants are the biggest releasers of many toxic chemicals into the environment - they release heavy metals into the air such as cobalt, mercury and arsenic, organics such as dichloromethane and formaldehyde and other materials such as friable asbestos and fluoride. All of these are cancer causing.

Last edited by ddeemo; 05-10-2021 at 08:12 PM..

Old 05-11-2021, 12:07 PM

9,427 posts, read 3,150,964 times
Quote:
Oh My God!!! CHEMICALS!!!

Don’t forget manufacture of the silicon wafers uses copious amounts of the highly dangerous dihydrogen monoxide.

Additional reading for the student:

https://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Old 05-11-2021, 02:37 PM

23,316 posts, read 42,741,586 times
I thought "Dueling Banjos" was deadly but now we got dueling chemicals. OMG!
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-12-2021, 05:12 PM

17,303 posts, read 7,380,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I thought "Dueling Banjos" was deadly but now we got dueling chemicals. OMG!
Solar cells are pretty much benign. Basically sand. And the additives can be removed or simply buried.

To Worldclass...

The time of solar power generation is upon us. And at this point any good dealer will be fine. Try checking on next door for people in your neighborhood who have a successful installation.

Note the actual issue is not whether to but when. The deal is reasonably profitable now...but it is getting a lot better. We have decided to hold off to 2023-2025. Take a look at some of the cost charts and project out...when is good enough. We also suffer from maturity so we know we cannot wait forever. In fact scheming to let the kids take care of the cost when the estate is settled.

Old Today, 07:19 AM

9,427 posts, read 3,150,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
We also suffer from maturity so we know we cannot wait forever. In fact scheming to let the kids take care of the cost when the estate is settled.
Once I realized that I'm basically spending my heirs' inheritances, purchases are much less stressful to me.

Old Today, 11:36 AM

332 posts, read 165,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_traveler1 View Post
I went with Titan, had good experience with them. Spent $36,000 on a single story 3 bed house and I am getting 26% tax rebate so final cost would be $26,640.

NV Energy has net metering so if you send energy back to the grid they pay you 90 cents to the dollar. I am planning to install a swamp cooler tied into my A/C ductwork so that I can switch between A/C and swamp cooler depending on the humidity. Cost of swamp cooler and ductwork install would pay back in a year of net metering, and I figure to get back at least $500 a year in net metering if I use the swamp cooler most of the time.......kinda worried though, I've never seen this much cloudy days in the past year then the years before.

Better to buy than lease.
I went with Titan as well. I have mixed feelings about them though. I read all the 5-star reviews for Sol-Up and I genuinely can't say I had the same experience with Titan. The biggest complains people have about Titan are complaints I don't have. Panels were installed fine, the installers were great. All inspection tests passed. What I dislike about Titan is how they market themselves. They rely on affiliate marketing/franchise marketing. In other words, you and your wife or best friend could partner up, create a business name, then sell Titan's solar panels. Titan does not seem to have their own sales team. They allow other people to promote their products. The biggest problem with this is upholding standards and quality. Based on my experience, the communication between Titan and the sales rep I worked with could have been a lot better. But I will give credit where credit is due. All of my questions were answered and the process was pretty smooth. Titan is rated in the top 5 (above Sol Up) in terms of the top roof contractors in the US. NV Energy was fricken slow to inspect the panels and give me the Permission to Operate status though. I'll give NV Energy 1 star lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas